Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » General Forums » General Chat

Old Apr 10th, 2004, 03:17 PM   #1
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

merylsilverburg is on a distinguished road
Question Mad Cow Disease...Anyone Eating Beef?

Well, I'm sure many of you guys know about Mad Cow Disease and that one cow that was found in the US last Nov/Dec and all that. So, those who eat meat...are you still eating beef or are avoiding it? I tried to look up information or latest news on it, but I haven't found much recent news except from this place and this one article is pretty frightening if it's true. There are still a lot of people who still eat beef and all...I heard that ground up beef is more dangerous than the sliced ones.

Not only is the Mad Cow/Beef thing scary, but there's also the other news about other meats and seafood, such as chicken, pork, tuna, and salmon. It's kinda irritating and a lot of vegetarians/vegans are feeling triumphiant because they're kinda like "See? Meat is bad for you". But, a lot of vegetables and greens are covered with chemicals and pesticides, so veggies aren't that safe either.

So, have you guys heard any other news on the meat, poultry, or seafood? And anyone frightened about getting Mad Cow?

"Have a little priest" ~ Mrs. Lovett

"Grim Reaper, you could not get the women? What was the problem? Didn't you reap them with your grim reaping equipment?"

"I tried that but the women, they all know hopscotch" ~ Eddie Izzard

You Can Help

merylsilverburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2004, 06:24 PM   #2
Piggle_humsy
The One & Only

Piggle_humsy is on a distinguished roadPiggle_humsy is on a distinguished roadPiggle_humsy is on a distinguished roadPiggle_humsy is on a distinguished roadPiggle_humsy is on a distinguished roadPiggle_humsy is on a distinguished roadPiggle_humsy is on a distinguished road
I still eat beef, I suppose I'm sorta ignorant to all the news coz Im thinkin yeh I wont get it blah blah blah... I dont eat alot of beef coz my diets based around carbs n veg but I just think everyone has there lifes planned out for them so if Im supposed to get CJD (Human equivalent of BSE: Mad cow disease.) I'll get it.

Piggle
x x x x

Piggle_humsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2004, 06:35 PM   #3
YunaDiva05
Sweet Angel

YunaDiva05 is on a distinguished road
Well I haven't heard any new news about any mad cow disease lately, and its pretty scary to me because I like steak as well as chicken. I mean that chicken flu thing that was on the news got me pretty scared as well, because I am a big fan of chicken. As for the vegetarians feeling triumphiant I mean come on, they have to realize no matter what nothing in this world is healthy not even living off of vegetables for the rest of their lives 'cause something might be lurking in the vegetable their eating you never know.

~*~ "Love can sometimes be magic. But magic can
sometimes just... be an illusion." ~*~
YunaDiva05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2004, 07:24 PM   #4
Deathwatchz
Chylde of Darkness

Deathwatchz is on a distinguished road
i am a quite far from a vegan, and i think that if there is a chnce that i might get anything from it, then ill have to suffer with it. if you believed everything about all of the problems with food, water, and other things in life, you would become a recluce, living off of things only you yourself have handled, not using any manufactured products whatsoever. i might be paranoid about some things, but this isnt one of them.

Deathwatchz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2004, 12:29 AM   #5
Vicious_2003
Stationary Wonderer

Vicious_2003 is on a distinguished road
Personally I think the whole thing has been blown out of proportion. From what I hear even if you ate some of the very rare infected portions the odds are you wont even be affected. But that doesent make good news or scare people so they blow it up and make it seem like your going to die if you eat a hamburger. besides..if we all stop eating beef..then the cows have allready won

The kinder, gentler, Vicious

Beretta55- "fo sheezy heezy neezy weezy flipity floppity floop"

Lost Myth- "I already know you are something special and I think the Pistons did too,
because then why would they have won the trophy on your birthday dude?

Anonymous- "Whos more to blame, me for being quote un quote gullible ?, or him for lying !?"
Vicious_2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2004, 01:30 AM   #6
Daedaelus
I'm Rick James *****

Daedaelus is on a distinguished road
Thank God I'm a vegetarian. Free from all the dangers of eating animals. Yipee!

The Tree of Life...
Daedaelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2004, 05:09 AM   #7
kupoartist
.illustrated.thingy.

kupoartist is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious_2003
But that doesent make good news or scare people so they blow it up and make it seem like your going to die if you eat a hamburger
Exactly. Consider how many portions of Beef are consumed in a country the size of the US every Year. Of these, only about 10 portions will actually infect anyone dangerously. The portion / infection ratio was MUCH higher in the UK in the late ninetees (and gave the rest of Europe an excuse to piss on our farmers), and we're talking of a handful of cases. Statistically, you're more likely to catch any of the other more serious diseases of the world. Or win the lottery. Hell, you're more likely to die of heart disease from eating too much fatty beef, than from eating too much mad-cow infected beef.

If you want a real reason to stop eating beef, think Cattle Ranching in the rainforests of the developing world. The TNCs of this world clear MASSIVE areas of rainforest to graze animals on land which is extremely poor quality without its tree cover (so they have to cut down MORE trees again). Coupled with the masses the fast food chains pull out from the forest for packaging and such, the chances that the planet is screwed are far more likely than people going doolally after eating a burger. But the media doesn't cover that because the news that the planet will be eventually screwed is less important than a few people catching Mad Cow disease. Or David Beckham screwing some PR ditz behind Victoria's Back.
kupoartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2004, 09:49 AM   #8
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

merylsilverburg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggle_humsy
I still eat beef, I suppose I'm sorta ignorant to all the news coz Im thinkin yeh I wont get it blah blah blah... I dont eat alot of beef coz my diets based around carbs n veg but I just think everyone has there lifes planned out for them so if Im supposed to get CJD (Human equivalent of BSE: Mad cow disease.) I'll get it.

Piggle
x x x x
Yeah, a lot of customers who come to my family's restaurant have that same attitude. A lot of them are eating beef thinking if they get it, they get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YunaDiva05
Well I haven't heard any new news about any mad cow disease lately, and its pretty scary to me because I like steak as well as chicken. I mean that chicken flu thing that was on the news got me pretty scared
Not only is there news about chicken flu but I also heard something about chickens with arsenic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious_2003
Personally I think the whole thing has been blown out of proportion. From what I hear even if you ate some of the very rare infected portions the odds are you wont even be affected. But that doesent make good news or scare people so they blow it up and make it seem like your going to die if you eat a hamburger.
See, I also heard about this too. I heard that it was unlikely to really get the disease if you eat beef or a burger. As I read from somewhere, "the possibilities of getting CJD are nil". And it's true how humans tend to overreact or overexaggerate things, so in a way, I do feel skeptical about actually getting it, but yet I'm also pretty paranoid. My dad and some friends ate steak a couple of times over the past few weeks and they're still living.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kupoartist
If you want a real reason to stop eating beef, think Cattle Ranching in the rainforests of the developing world. The TNCs of this world clear MASSIVE areas of rainforest to graze animals on land which is extremely poor quality without its tree cover (so they have to cut down MORE trees again). Coupled with the masses the fast food chains pull out from the forest for packaging and such, the chances that the planet is screwed are far more likely than people going doolally after eating a burger. But the media doesn't cover that because the news that the planet will be eventually screwed is less important than a few people catching Mad Cow disease.
Oh, I didn't know about this. -_-;;; I knew about the rainforest problem, but I didn't know it also involved cattle ranching. As you said, the media doesn't cover this sort of situation only because the world really doesn't care about what happens to the enviroment. I mean, in the past there were so many activists trying to prevent a lot of things that would harm the enviroment and people trying to stop pollution and all that, but in the end, the majority of people just didn't give a crap. But that's the way people are, as annoying as it may be.

"Have a little priest" ~ Mrs. Lovett

"Grim Reaper, you could not get the women? What was the problem? Didn't you reap them with your grim reaping equipment?"

"I tried that but the women, they all know hopscotch" ~ Eddie Izzard

You Can Help

merylsilverburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2004, 07:00 PM   #9
Deathwatchz
Chylde of Darkness

Deathwatchz is on a distinguished road
reply to everyones post except for mine, thx a lot meryl..... j/k

Deathwatchz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2004, 07:31 PM   #10
DragonSphere
Beneath the Shadow

DragonSphere is on a distinguished road
Nope, not affecting my eating habits at all. Chicken, beef...food is food.
DragonSphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2004, 08:05 PM   #11
Vicious_2003
Stationary Wonderer

Vicious_2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
If you want a real reason to stop eating beef
I dont..and never will

The kinder, gentler, Vicious

Beretta55- "fo sheezy heezy neezy weezy flipity floppity floop"

Lost Myth- "I already know you are something special and I think the Pistons did too,
because then why would they have won the trophy on your birthday dude?

Anonymous- "Whos more to blame, me for being quote un quote gullible ?, or him for lying !?"
Vicious_2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2004, 06:06 PM   #12
Hylas
Now or Never

Hylas is on a distinguished road
Sadly this is old news. Some person I know studied at University these kind of subjects and he told me that ages (was it 4 or 5 years?) ago. At that time I didn't care about it, at all. Lately I'm a bit more worried, in fact I'm eating less meat, every kind of meat, because now it's beef, and in a different way chicken too, tomorrow you can never know... I don't feel bad or miss it. I was eating too much of it in any case, so now I feel physically better, to tell the truth. I eat more fish and vegetables, and only now and then some meat. I also reduced the amount of eggs per week. It's an healthy choice, I suppose, I don't regret the amount of meat I'm not eating anymore.
Hylas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 03:53 PM   #13
Virtualeclipse
Virtual

Virtualeclipse is on a distinguished road
Well I dont care!! Im gona eat eat beef all day. Im having beef right NOW!!
Virtualeclipse is offline   Reply With Quote