Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » General Forums » General Chat

Old Nov 26th, 2003, 02:02 PM   #1
Reid
.red house.

Reid is on a distinguished road
Post For Your Consideration

https://www.heraldnet.com/Stories/03/11/18/17748407.cfm

Boy, I just played some video games and now I'm feeling violent. Anyone for axe murder?

This link was posted on Penny Arcade and I thought it might be good discussion fodder.

One of my favourite parts is when the author of the article discusses how a serial murderer's confessions sound like what people play in video games. I'm not sure an "inhuman, sadistic killer" simulation title where you rape and maim your victims would really be flying off the shelves.
Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2003, 02:29 PM   #2
Beretta55
Reached for the sky

Beretta55 is on a distinguished road
Yeah im pretty insulted by this gamers are always catching bad attention and now it seems im being compared to a guy who killed 48 women just because i play videogames
and speaking of another topic i visit the ign boards quite abit and a member posted something. he said it was on CNN and some politician said there were rape in videogames.......yep rape. GTA3 and vice city were of course in this list but here are the others that were list for rape.
Metal Gear Solid
Smackdown HCTP
Tony Hawk Underground
BMX XXX
Twisted Metal
Resident Evil

the only games i would find it even possible is BMX XXX and twisted metal black.....wait scratch that i've beaten twisted metal black and there were was no rape. (BMX XXX i wouldnt be surprised personally) i mean metal gear solid,tony hawk underground (its rated T for godsakes) and resident evil? its obvious this dude doesnt play videogames or even try them out AT ALL. then he talked about the game manhunt which he said there were men wearing dixie masks raping a reporter......well i beat the game yesterday and there isnt even anything close to rape in that game. i argee with one thing on that link you provided reid. the use of the rating system which some stores really dont follow the only way i could of played manhunt is i have had my parents go ahead and they did. kids going into a gamestore alone without a parent and buying a M rated game without a fight from gamestores is kinda wrong in my opinion. All and all i wonder if these people ask fellow gamers for their opinions but no instead we are getting constantly slammed it makes me sick that all we seem to them are just killers in waiting.
well im done now
Old Nov 26th, 2003, 07:24 PM   #3
Preventer Wind

Preventer Wind is on a distinguished road
Quote:
These video games are not spectator activities, like going to a violent movie. They use simulation techniques that are used to teach people to fly a plane, drive a car or fight wars.
Well according to that I am now a genius. Not only do I know how to fly planes I know how to fight wars. Oh yes, I knew playing all those Dynasty Warriors and RTS games would come in handy some day.

Quote:
Video games laced with human atrocities help young, impressionable people practice killing without care.
Yes... I've killed millions myself...Millions of polygons

I do agree that stores should stand by the ratings and not sell games to children that are not rated for children unless their is a parent with them that says it is ok. They do a good job with music and movies, so why not video games?

I agree that video games can be a bad influence for a kid. It all depends on the kid and the parent(s).

My problem with articles like these is that they do not mention the good things about games. If only they showed some love I could say I somewhat understand their point.

"Know thy enemy and know thy self,"
"Find naught to fear in 100 battles."
"Know not thy enemy, but know thy self,"
"Find victory and defeat in equal measure"
"Know thy enemy, but know not thy self,"
"Find defeat in every battle."

Sun Tzu
Preventer Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2003, 09:00 PM   #4
Vicious_2003
Stationary Wonderer

Vicious_2003 is on a distinguished road
These games arent half as influencing as parents. If the kid ends up becoming a cereal killer its not the games he played at fault, its his parents PERIOD. People just go after video games because they are an easy target that not too many adults are interested in. It makes congressmen look like theyre taking up a cause .

I still wouldnt let my kid play Grand Theft Auto at a young age because it could teach them some language I wouldnt approve of and might have them asking questions about prostitutions a bit early. But not because they might become criminals. As long as the parents are involved and teach them good morals/values childeren arent going to end up mass murderers. Why dont morons like these go after something thats really killing society like Obesity, Niccotene addiction, or George W. ?

The kinder, gentler, Vicious

Beretta55- "fo sheezy heezy neezy weezy flipity floppity floop"

Lost Myth- "I already know you are something special and I think the Pistons did too,
because then why would they have won the trophy on your birthday dude?

Anonymous- "Whos more to blame, me for being quote un quote gullible ?, or him for lying !?"
Vicious_2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2003, 09:20 PM   #5
Redpyramidhead
pazparacolombia

Redpyramidhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Third, the Mothers Against Violence group sent underage youngsters into familiar stores, and 15 out of 17 of the stores sold adult games to children under 12.

Does anybody else see anything extremely hypocritical about that? I also find it quite hilarious! First of all, that is the answer to their problem right there! Right in front of them! Parents must go with their children when purchasing games if they care what they are being exposed to. How can it not be that obvious to them??

_RED_ stuff

"..loathsome laughing, mixed with such a cry as no man has heard save for in the phlegathon of unrelatable nightmares; a cry wherein reverberated the horror and anguish of a haunted lifetime packed into one atrocious moment..."
Redpyramidhead is offline   Reply With Quote