Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » General Forums » General Chat

View Poll Results: Should we wear uniforms?
No 13 65.00%
Yes 4 20.00%
Maybe 3 15.00%
No answer 0 0%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 02:38 PM   #21
BlackThornn
Teacher Banzai

BlackThornn is on a distinguished road
Being "against" a school uniform ultimately comes down to nothing but vanity. You don't like the way it looks so you automatically think it's a good idea.

Kids are being indoctrinated WAY too soon into the bull**** fad culture of this country (America.. that's all I can speak for) because of the fact that they're out buying "seasonal" clothes. Those that DON'T have bottomless pockets or just DON'T like trying to keep up with 'fasions' for thier class are the ones who are ridiculed.

At my school, uniforms consisted of the same outfits, period. They had a funky tartan like everyone else for girls who wanted to wear them, but those were uncommon given that they were given the CHOICE between those and shorts/pants. Just because they aren't given a choice to wear hip-hugger denims doesn't mean "girls" are repressed any more than boys in the cases of these uniforms. (note that this was a catholic school, with nuns and all, and they were still given the choice)

Judging individuality by one's attire is so shallow it's ridiculous. There are far more creative and deeper ways to express oneself.

And also, Hylas and kamari, I can pretty much tell you didn't grow up or aren't growing up in a school with heavy gang problems. Uniforms would take away thier "color" ******** too. Just food for thought.

I am the Thornn in your side.

The Matrix has you.
BlackThornn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2002, 02:46 PM   #22
Hylas
Now or Never

Hylas is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by BlackThornn
And also, Hylas and kamari, I can pretty much tell you didn't grow up or aren't growing up in a school with heavy gang problems. Uniforms would take away thier "color" ******** too. Just food for thought.
I said I didn't have to wear uniform, I think this was clear. And I think you're being a bit strict thinking that the ones who want to express themselves also thru attire are acting in a stupid way. Why buying clothes and choosing them also when you're not in school anymore then? You can go wherever you have to wearing the same stuff if you say so. Choosing what to wear ain't only mere vanity as you said. It's a part of one's personality. I'm not talking about fashion. I'm talking about the possibility to choose without feeling ridiculous for a simple matter of clothes. And this can happen a lot if you have to wear uniforms. And yes, I'm european and I've got no problems regarding gangs and crap like that, luckily. But I know some persons that felt embarassed and clumsy because of the stupid uniforms thing. You can call them silly, but starting being embarassed when you're young can leave a mark in your personality. Maybe you're too "strong" and "wise" to understand some feelings that "weakest" people can have. And believe me or not, I think feeling out of place for this matter is stupid and meaningless, that's why I think everyone should be free to feel comfortable within his own clothes. Because you're maybe saying clothes are a stupid matter, but you can't speak for others. And actually a lot of people hate going to school because of stupid rules like the uniforms one.
Hylas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2002, 02:53 PM   #23
kupoartist
.illustrated.thingy.

kupoartist is on a distinguished road
My school doesn't have the "Girls must wear skirts rule" : hehe, I was even once told that apparently the Guys are totally within their rights to wear them , though aside from Sixth-form charity days, I haven't seen it ^_^

And the majority of girls end up wearing skirts anyway... but what do we know: we're from Essex
kupoartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2002, 03:04 PM   #24
Killuminati
Tha Don

Killuminati is on a distinguished road
im completely against uniforms....that is i would never wear one...i used to go to a catholic school with uniforms but i got kicked out after like 2 weeks cause i never wore the uniform i just came in whatever i felt like...tahts the way u should dress....what is comfortable...if its comfortable wear it, and i kno some kids get picked on cuz of dat but it dont happen that much at my school. in the summer i wear my hat(backwards), shorts(long ones...like go down to past my knees) and a wife beater. in the winter i wear my hat(backwards) a hoodie, and black baggy pants...hell if i feel like it sometimes i wear PJ pants to school it doesnt matter ppl dont say shit to me whether i wear my normal clothes or somethint ahts unusual.

Killuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2002, 03:53 PM   #25
Black Heart
Mighty Captain

Black Heart is on a distinguished road
I'm against uniforms. When I was student I've always hated them, and not for a question of fashion, but because they were really uncomfortable.
Black Heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2002, 04:41 PM   #26
kamari-ice

kamari-ice is on a distinguished road
Gangs, hello.
It doesn't matter, if thats what they want to do let them do it.
Anyways, they aren't gangs here.
Anyway, if people would come from the outside world, all they have to do is go to Wal Mart and get uniforms.
And you could use your own weekend clothes without uniforms.
And another thing, in uniforms, you barely can't find your size, you have to go everywhere just to find you size.
And color, some stores don't have that color, or they are sold out.
With Regular clothes, you can choose from anything.
If you like one thing, and they don't have it, you can choose something else.
And the price of uniforms is high.
And regular clothes, you don't have to stand there looking for something to wear, if you bought it just wear it, if you don't like it, you bought it.
What next, telling you what kind of underclothes to wear.
Geez, and gangs, let them be.
Just because they wear something like that doesn't mean that they have something.
I would say to people who are afraid of gangs, I would rather metal detectors at doors, than uniforms.
The regular uniforms here, you have to worry about getting teased, why?
Cause the girls clothes look exactly like the boys clothes, and you don't know it, and buy it, and you get teased.
And I think girls don't like Khaki pants to, girls know what I mean.
kamari-ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2002, 07:00 PM   #27
BlackThornn
Teacher Banzai

BlackThornn is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Hylas

I said I didn't have to wear uniform, I think this was clear. And I think you're being a bit strict thinking that the ones who want to express themselves also thru attire are acting in a stupid way. Why buying clothes and choosing them also when you're not in school anymore then? You can go wherever you have to wearing the same stuff if you say so. Choosing what to wear ain't only mere vanity as you said. It's a part of one's personality. I'm not talking about fashion. I'm talking about the possibility to choose without feeling ridiculous for a simple matter of clothes. And this can happen a lot if you have to wear uniforms. And yes, I'm european and I've got no problems regarding gangs and crap like that, luckily. But I know some persons that felt embarassed and clumsy because of the stupid uniforms thing. You can call them silly, but starting being embarassed when you're young can leave a mark in your personality. Maybe you're too "strong" and "wise" to understand some feelings that "weakest" people can have. And believe me or not, I think feeling out of place for this matter is stupid and meaningless, that's why I think everyone should be free to feel comfortable within his own clothes. Because you're maybe saying clothes are a stupid matter, but you can't speak for others. And actually a lot of people hate going to school because of stupid rules like the uniforms one.

1) Ease off, hon. You seem to be getting a bit flustered over this.

2) I didn't say it was stupid, I said it was vain. There's a big, BIG difference between the two. Individuality SIMPLY through choice of clothing is vanity is all that I said.

3) I felt goofy as hell in my uniform. I HATED them when I was in school and I resented them until I was out of high school (during high school there were no uniforms needed).

4) O_o "Strong and Wise"? *chuckles* Hylas, you didn't know me when I was a schoolkid. I was ostracised probably more than anyone else in my class.

5) ...People hate going to school anyway. Uniforms make the experience simpler, and saying that anyone, boy or girl, is special just because they feel uncomfortable and ergo NOBODY should wear uniforms is just kinda ludacris. Everyone would look equally ridiculous in a uniform, that's part of the beauty.

I said before that I could only speak for America (California in particular) on this matter. Honestly I could not care less what kids in Europe did about thier attire (From what I understand things are much more tame over there anyway). But you said yourself that you never had to wear a uniform.. so I can't see where you're getting this "they'd feel restricted in expressing thier individuality" stuff. *shrugs*

Point is.. Uniforms might not be the BEST choice, but they're the logical choice. It doesn't matter if kids like them or not, truly, because that's not what they're for. They are there to FORCE the kids to concentrate more on learning and less on what they're gonna shlep around class in. I can't speak for everyone, but when I see uniforms what I DON'T see are 10 year olds wearing FUBU clothing and preteen girls dressed up like strippers. That's a GOOD thing.

(Also.. Kamari.. I didn't understand a friggin' thing of what you said in your last post.. )

I am the Thornn in your side.

The Matrix has you.
BlackThornn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2002, 07:32 PM   #28
Pu the Owl
Useless Oracle™

Pu the Owl is on a distinguished road
I had to wear a uniform till I was 11, then thanks god I stopped wearing them. But frankly, I don't know which choice is better. Sometimes I felt even more clumsy with my usual clothes on
But in the end I'm happy I could wear whatever I wanted. Mainly because I've always avoided to follow fashion.
I think the problem and the worst thing is when people are not forced to wear uniforms and they choose to wear what fashion tells them, so you meet only teenagers with same shoes, same trousers, same T-shirts, same jackests and so on. This is even worse than a uniform because they actually choose to dress like that, and it's like admitting they lack of any kind of originality
Pu the Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2002, 08:34 PM   #29
Ruby Moon
The Cynical Clone

Ruby Moon is on a distinguished road
I think the uniform is good for younger kids, but when you grow old is better to feel comfortable at school wearing whatever you want. This is not a general opinion though. It can only be applied to some cases.
In some schools the uniform is necessary for several reasons, but in some others is good that people can decide to wear usual clothes instead of uniforms. So, depends on the case. I'm not against the uniform thing in general, because in some cases it makes some sense.
Old Aug 18th, 2002, 01:55 PM   #30
Lilly

Lilly is on a distinguished road
I could come up with arguments for both sides, but I'll refrain from doing so and posting what I feel personally.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruby Moon
I think the uniform is good for younger kids, but when you grow old is better to feel comfortable at school wearing whatever you want.
What makes you think these same kids who have been forced to wear uniforms when they're young will have the ability to make decisions without interuption? They've been told what to do all their lives, why should that change when they get older?

Abolish uniforms.

I feel a child needs to learn on their own what is right and what is wrong. If they cannot make simple decisions for themselves when they are younger (such as choosing their clothes) then it is simply setting them back when they are faced with the task of making their own decisions in life. Like Maslow's Hierarchy of needs, the simple needs must preceed the complex ones.

". . .It is better to do bad on free-will, then be forced to do good." (deadpool.52)

School uniforms are also a blatant way of attacking someone's personal freedom of choice and expression. I would even go as far as calling it censorship, if you will.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2002, 02:24 PM   #31
Hylas
Now or Never

Hylas is on a distinguished road
I think uniform for kids would be good only because they get dirty really easily, so they don't have to stain their usual clothes
Hylas is offline   Reply With Quote