Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » General Forums » General Chat

Old May 23rd, 2004, 09:46 AM   #1
Pu the Owl
Useless Oracle™

Pu the Owl is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Michael Moore wins Cannes Film Festival

It's the first time a documentary wins the Film Festival. Everybody knew from the beginning Fahrenheit 9/11 was going to be probably the most important film of the festival for its contents, but I think few thought it was going to win. Tarantino at the beginning seemed to be the first one to be against movies which mix art, entertainment and politics. Some malicious comment was made regarding the fact the movie didn't win for its actual value and quality, but only for its controversial and "heavy" contents. Well, isn't a director the one who makes or chooses the content and the matter he wants to talk about? So is that a fault?

I honestly can't wait to watch it.

Now the movie is somewhat banned from distribution in the US, at least for the present moment. Nobody knows if in the US people will see it, even if it won such important prize. Thanks to strong interests, to narrow-mindness and censorship this movie. The White House let the world know the fact there are persons like Moore around is evidence the US are a free country, but as a matter of fact Fahrenheit 9/11 for now is not being distributed there. During the last hours seems a group of indipendent distributors is talking about the possibility of joining together to solve this question after Disney decided to boycott Moore's work.
Pu the Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2004, 03:54 PM   #2
Faile
ys.

Faile is on a distinguished road
Absolutely brilliant news. I love Moore's comments thanking Bush for having the best lines in the film. Michael Moore is a huge inspiration to me and I was lucky enough (after a day of extensive travelling) to see him speak last year and he is so fantastic. A true, honest, sincere person.

Bowling for Columbine was Ace, but I think my favourite MM film is 'The Big one'. Then again, I've only had the chance to see those two owing to not living in the US.

Its got a European distro. set up so I'll be seeing it, but Disney are plain stupid, so scared of losing their tax breaks. Art before money everytime. Unless you're a businessman when your dignity is forfeit ! (in my eyes anyway)

www.catherineandtheowl.com

purr. miaow. hiss.
Faile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2004, 05:51 PM   #3
Infernal Mass
pariah

Infernal Mass is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panuru
Nobody knows if in the US people will see it, even if it won such important prize. Thanks to strong interests, to narrow-mindness and censorship this movie. The White House let the world know the fact there are persons like Moore around is evidence the US are a free country, but as a matter of fact Fahrenheit 9/11 for now is not being distributed there. During the last hours seems a group of indipendent distributors is talking about the possibility of joining together to solve this question after Disney decided to boycott Moore's work.
The movie will be seen here, it's inevitable now that it's won the Palme d’Or. Although it will most likely will be banned until after the presidential election here in the United States this november. All the Bush Adminstration/and other partry's of interest need to do is delay the film from coming out until after that time. It will eventually show up, just not until after the election..

check this out:

May 6, 2004 – Editorial, New York Times
Disney's Craven Behavior

Give the Walt Disney Company a gold medal for cowardice for blocking its Miramax division from distributing a film that criticizes President Bush and his family. A company that ought to be championing free expression has instead chosen to censor a documentary that clearly falls within the bounds of acceptable political commentary.

The documentary was prepared by Michael Moore, a controversial filmmaker who likes to skewer the rich and powerful. As described by Jim Rutenberg yesterday in The Times, the film, "Fahrenheit 9/11," links the Bush family with prominent Saudis, including the family of Osama bin Laden. It describes financial ties that go back three decades and explores the role of the government in evacuating relatives of Mr. bin Laden from the United States shortly after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks. The film was financed by Miramax and was expected to be released this summer.

Mr. Moore's agent said that Michael Eisner, Disney's chief executive, had expressed concern that the film might jeopardize tax breaks granted to Disney for its theme park, hotels and other ventures in Florida, where Jeb Bush is governor. If that is the reason for Disney's move, it would underscore the dangers of allowing huge conglomerates to gobble up diverse media companies.

On the other hand, a senior Disney executive says the real reason is that Disney caters to families of all political stripes and that many of them might be alienated by the film. Those families, of course, would not have to watch the documentary.

It is hard to say which rationale for blocking distribution is more depressing. But it is clear that Disney loves its bottom line more than the freedom of political discourse.

Infernal Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2004, 06:08 PM   #4
Faile
ys.

It'll be out before the election. Promise you.

purr. miaow. hiss.
Old May 23rd, 2004, 06:20 PM   #5
Rei
EVA 00 Pilot

Rei is on a distinguished road
Hope to see it. I don't know if it'll be properly distributed, but It'll be a shame to not be able to watch it.

I admire Moore's work, I've seen some other of his movies and read his books. I admire him and I hope this prize will be enough to change distributors minds and make them realize it's necessary to be able to express the self and speak the truth, and let people know about how things go.
Rei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2004, 06:34 PM   #6
Reid
.red house.

Reid is on a distinguished road
I'd love to see this movie but in Canada, distribution is almost always dependant on what happens with America. I can't see it being unreleased indefinently for much longer though. All the bad press that's coming at Disney would be pretty hard to ignore much longer.

I heard that the film received a 20 minute standing ovation after it's screening at Cannes. That should be a pretty good indication of it's fibre I think.

I thought Bowling for Columbine was pretty fantastic and this should follow suite, hopefully. I love the way Moore presents and explains his thesis for the films, using facts and drawing on relation and emotion to bring the viewer in. It's like following a long trail as the movie goes along and the process is usually both frightening and opening.

Here's hoping it does get released before the American election.
Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2004, 06:38 PM   #7
Infernal Mass
pariah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faile
It'll be out before the election. Promise you.

i hope it does. but i still have my doubts

Old May 23rd, 2004, 07:18 PM   #8
Faile
ys.

Its got the backing of some very important people. Not to matter rich. Its a pretty similar situation to the release of Dogma (except the stakes are higher in this case and I suspect a lot more money is to be made). Its financial suicide for this film not to get a giant US release and acadamy nomination.

All things willing it'll be another step towards Bush out in November.

purr. miaow. hiss.
Old May 26th, 2004, 08:48 AM   #9
Hylas
Now or Never

Hylas is on a distinguished road
I'm very happy Moore won. I can't wait to see the movie. It's a shame he's meeting so many difficulties to find a distributor, but hopefully the prize he won will help him in this case.
Hylas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 08:27 AM   #10
Infernal Mass
pariah

Thumbs up

https://www.fahrenheit911.com/trailer/