Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » General Forums » General Chat

Old Jul 12th, 2007, 09:56 AM   #1
Meiko

Meiko is on a distinguished road
Smile Harry Potter New Things

Who's going to see it? I won't be going till next week, but I'm really looking forward to this one, though I am a little disappointed hearing it's a a bit short, shorter than any other HP movie.

Also the book. Are going to buy it at its release date? What are your expectations? Do you think Rowling will eventually write other books because the fans said so? Do you think Harry will really die? I have my copy preordered, and i can't wait
Meiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 10:01 AM   #2
trunks69420
Now Im Nothing

trunks69420 is on a distinguished road
Saw the midnight premeire going again on friday if i dont work or if i can...and heres my advice for it. stop thinking it will be like the book and enjoy it as a movie. i am a HUGE fan of the books... but after the goblet i just realised none will really be like the book as much as the first one was cause it was so much smaller. if you watch it just for a movie POV... its amazing. well paced, great action, great fights, etc. wont ruin it for anyone who doesnt know whats coming.

as for book 7. i'm number 5 on the list to get it and i'm going to the 4 hour workshop for making wands and all kinds of other harry potter goodness.midnight for me.... and i have many many many views about the final book but i dont want to just spout them off the top of my head.. i just refreshed the page and seen this thread i was about to create one myself

five vicodin chased with a shot of clarity...
trunks69420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 07:44 PM   #3
DragonSphere
Beneath the Shadow

DragonSphere is on a distinguished road
headed to see the new movie tonight...

but to be honest, im not much of a potter fan than i used to be. I blitzed through the first 4 books a few years ago, but after that, I just couldn't bring myself to read and complete the 5th one - hence my viewing of this movie. don't really know what happened there, just lost interest i guess.

maybe someday i'll complete all the books, but for now, i think i'l just enjoy the movies.
DragonSphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th, 2007, 11:15 AM   #4
Hylas
Now or Never

Hylas is on a distinguished road
I don't care about the book, but I'll see the movie. I'm not in a hurry, I'll let the craziness fade a little, and then go. Maybe towards the end of next week, or the week after that.

This said, I don't think the movie is "short". It's 140 minutes. It's not exactly "short". It's just 15 minutes shorter than the other movies, on average. It's not much. I doubt you'll notice it.
Hylas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2007, 01:33 PM   #5
Faile
ys.

Faile is on a distinguished road
I'm a huge fan of the books. Absolutely love them. The films have always been hit and miss. The first two were okay, the third was amazing (due to the direction) and the fourth was the biggest disappointment ever, given the quality of the book. I was a little hesitant about the fifth film as a result but I went last night and it completely blew me away. It's amazing, perhaps even surpassing prisoner in terms of its quality. The direction is very similar but they worked wonders with the book to film transition too. Perhaps a few scenes could have been longer, but it was great overall. I was very excited. Full on childlike wish fufillment. Kittens and owls and Dumbledore actually being like he is in the books. Hurrah!

www.catherineandtheowl.com

purr. miaow. hiss.
Faile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2007, 05:21 PM   #6
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

merylsilverburg is on a distinguished road
I saw it today and I feel really unfulfilled. I liked it better than the fourth, which was just awful IMO, but I still felt like there were many things missing from the movie that were in the book. I haven't read the book(s) yet either so I really have no right to be so critical. It just seemed like this movie really catered to the readers and those who haven't read it shouldn't watch it.

I just felt that the chemistry between the 3 main leads were lost. They just don't feel like they're great friends anymore and you don't see that friendship...even at the end, after everything. I always felt the strong bond between them in the other films (even the fourth one, amazingly) so I was a bit disappointed in this one.

Also, the focus on Umbridge became nearly a bore. My sister was so pissed off at her I could've sworn she wanted to rip the arm/drink rests off the seats. I, on the other hand, was severely irritated at her too but then her behavior and the plot became so ridiculous that I became uninterested. Was the entire book really focused on her this much?

Oh, and the
Spoiler: show
flashback about Snape's past. I've always like Snape although I know he isn't entirely good. But since I never read the book, I had no idea that Harry's dad was such a prick; this made me like Snape even more. The dad was really one of those popular, I-can-do-no-wrong sort of fellows that I really despise. If I were Snape, I'd be pissed off and holding a grudge too.

Other than the stuff I mentioned above, there were a few funny parts and great scenes. The actors and actresses played their parts really well (good choices for Lestrange(sp?) and Lovegood) and certain scenes and effects were absolutely gorgeous.

EDIT: I just have a question for those who know: why did Hermione hesitate and her mood change when she was introducing Luna Lovegood? Is there something about her name or what?

"Have a little priest" ~ Mrs. Lovett

"Grim Reaper, you could not get the women? What was the problem? Didn't you reap them with your grim reaping equipment?"

"I tried that but the women, they all know hopscotch" ~ Eddie Izzard

You Can Help

Last edited by merylsilverburg; Jul 16th, 2007 at 05:26 PM..
merylsilverburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 10:33 AM   #7
trunks69420
Now Im Nothing

trunks69420 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by merylsilverburg
I saw it today and I feel really unfulfilled. I liked it better than the fourth, which was just awful IMO, but I still felt like there were many things missing from the movie that were in the book. I haven't read the book(s) yet either so I really have no right to be so critical. It just seemed like this movie really catered to the readers and those who haven't read it shouldn't watch it.

I just felt that the chemistry between the 3 main leads were lost. They just don't feel like they're great friends anymore and you don't see that friendship...even at the end, after everything. I always felt the strong bond between them in the other films (even the fourth one, amazingly) so I was a bit disappointed in this one.

Also, the focus on Umbridge became nearly a bore. My sister was so pissed off at her I could've sworn she wanted to rip the arm/drink rests off the seats. I, on the other hand, was severely irritated at her too but then her behavior and the plot became so ridiculous that I became uninterested. Was the entire book really focused on her this much?

Oh, and the
Spoiler: show
flashback about Snape's past. I've always like Snape although I know he isn't entirely good. But since I never read the book, I had no idea that Harry's dad was such a prick; this made me like Snape even more. The dad was really one of those popular, I-can-do-no-wrong sort of fellows that I really despise. If I were Snape, I'd be pissed off and holding a grudge too.

Other than the stuff I mentioned above, there were a few funny parts and great scenes. The actors and actresses played their parts really well (good choices for Lestrange(sp?) and Lovegood) and certain scenes and effects were absolutely gorgeous.

EDIT: I just have a question for those who know: why did Hermione hesitate and her mood change when she was introducing Luna Lovegood? Is there something about her name or what?
looney luna lovegood. was her nickname... they didnt really address it much so it was prolly like wtf for people who havent read it. and yeah the books really did focus on umbridge that much and all those things she did was in there. i wont respond too much cause i'll give stuff away as i'm just ridiculous about HP stuff. lol. and yeah the bond def wasnt as strong and in that book harry faced most of it on his own, the occlumency with snape made him a lot more distant and yeah even at the end of it he was sad but the whole thing was more seperate from the books POV. anyways. yeah

heh. i had to speak uner my breath about umbridge.... i cursed and threatened to kill her so many times only to see children near me. hahahaha

five vicodin chased with a shot of clarity...
trunks69420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 09:22 PM   #8
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

merylsilverburg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by trunks69420
looney luna lovegood. was her nickname... they didnt really address it much so it was prolly like wtf for people who havent read it. and yeah the books really did focus on umbridge that much and all those things she did was in there. i wont respond too much cause i'll give stuff away as i'm just ridiculous about HP stuff. lol. and yeah the bond def wasnt as strong and in that book harry faced most of it on his own, the occlumency with snape made him a lot more distant and yeah even at the end of it he was sad but the whole thing was more seperate from the books POV. anyways. yeah
Thank you! That really did clear up a few things I was confused about. I just have to read the books to find out a bit more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trunks69420
heh. i had to speak uner my breath about umbridge.... i cursed and threatened to kill her so many times only to see children near me. hahahaha
LOL! I only kept gritting my teeth or rolling my eyes when she came on but my sister was so angry, she kept breathing in and out to release her fury...her face was actually red when we got out of the theaters.

"Have a little priest" ~ Mrs. Lovett

"Grim Reaper, you could not get the women? What was the problem? Didn't you reap them with your grim reaping equipment?"

"I tried that but the women, they all know hopscotch" ~ Eddie Izzard

You Can Help

merylsilverburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21st, 2007, 05:08 PM   #9
Faile
ys.

Faile is on a distinguished road
oh, the book! the book! finished in six hours straight this morning. i feel all weird and a little empty, yet satisfied.

www.catherineandtheowl.com

purr. miaow. hiss.
Faile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 11:16 AM   #10
Pu the Owl
Useless Oracle™

Pu the Owl is on a distinguished road
Some online newspapers spoiled the ending of the book and series for us here. Journalists should really get a ban and be abandoned on a desert island somewhere, without phones and computers. Or without batteries to make them work. The most upsetting thing is thinking they get paid to write... We could have otters to do their job. I bet they would be a lot better than them. I also bet thanks to otters we could learn lots of very interesting things, and we wouldn't have books spoiled. Humans are masochists
Pu the Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 12:03 PM   #11
Meiko

Meiko is on a distinguished road
I finished the book. I'm not sure the ending was completely satisfying. It was fun anyway. I'm sad there's no more
Meiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2007, 03:07 PM   #12
Pu the Owl
Useless Oracle™

Pu the Owl is on a distinguished road
After watching the movie, I got the impression it was too slow for certain aspects and not enough developed regarding others. I didn't like much the sterotypal representation of notions like "friendship" and "family". I also didn't like the many gaps it left for the viewer to fill. In fact I suppose a viewer not familiar with the books couldn't really fill them. It's the movie I liked less, together with the second one. some actors were sort of miscast and/or wasted IMO. I hope they'll manage to adapt the books in some more convincing way in the next movies.
Pu the Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 11:17 AM   #13
kupoartist
.illustrated.thingy.

kupoartist is on a distinguished road
I think it'll be interesting to see how they'll film the Seventh one. Rowling spent half the time giving the main characters Polyjuice potion to avoid capture. We'll probably not even see the child actors for most of the movie without significant retooling.

Reading the new book seems a bit of a by numbers exercise. Probably because what I hadn't already worked out for myself was already figured out by everyone else on the Internet two years ago.

The Fifth movie was very well made as far as I thought. Though the death of a certain key character was even more anticlimatic than it was in the book (as were the deaths of two other characters in the latest book). I think that's impressive in a way, since they're not giving us a sappy Hollywood boo-hoo death sequence... but still, a little unceremonious.

Last edited by kupoartist; Jul 30th, 2007 at 11:18 AM..
kupoartist is offline   Reply With Quote