Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » General Forums » General Chat

Old Jun 9th, 2003, 07:23 AM   #1
blindman
Sketch Penguin

blindman is on a distinguished road
The Game, The Remake, BreakinT he Habit?

Hey.
I know most of you have noticed and maybe this is totally pointless thread, but i just want to point something out.
Nintendo, the gamecube and others, they have remade games that where never available in the past. Such as Mg Solid for the PSone, Resident Evil 1 and 3, actually the whole Resident evil Franchise may be on gamecube soon....just look, from Sony, Capcom moved its Resident Evil series to Nintendo! and now Rare moved itself to XBOX.
Is it just me, or do i think that in a couple of years Nintendo is going to make a remake of DevilMayCry? or maybe another Nintendo console not only the gamecube.
Cya.
blindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 08:14 AM   #2
jjmoohead
MAGIC MONKEY

jjmoohead is on a distinguished roadjjmoohead is on a distinguished roadjjmoohead is on a distinguished road
This is the problem with the gaming industry these days. It is all about making money. The way to make money is to have a successful game that everyone likes. In order to make that happen something special needs to be created. To create something special you need money. To get money you need a good game to sell. What does this all mean?

You see...companies like EA sports have it great because year after year they remake there 8 to 12 game lineup like NHL, NBA live, MAdden, Fifa, Nascar...etc. and each year the games sell more and more. These games are instant money makers and thus EA turns around and tries to create another game that people will like so they can make more money.

Now for companies that don't have 8 to 12 games that sell millions of copies each and every year, they go out take their time and make one solid most excellent video game in hopes that people will love it. Now lets say the people are into the game and it becomes the all time greatest selling game. The first thing that comes to my mind is "SEQUAL" So they start working at it again.

Now 5 years pass and a new console comes out and the company needs some money for a new game that they are creating that is going to change the face of the world. What better way to make some money by creating a 3rd or 4th or 12th game (FINAL FANTASY) to make some cash. This time however there are 3 new consoles to pick from and each one seems to have a good number of followers that will by this game. Heck the entire internet is buzzing over a possible sequal or prequal to thier old favourite. So the company who made there last game for Console A, contacts console B and says "Hey yo, we gotta sequal here to this game, give us money and its all yours."

Comapny B says...hmmm..that game sold millions of copies last time out, poeple will by our systems just so they can get that game. CHA CHING. and the rest my friend is history.

Now I hope that has helped in some way or form. If not, im sorry i waisted your time. I am home sick right now and my mind gets complicated when im sick.

The Magic Is Coming!
jjmoohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 08:38 AM   #3
Azuma_Ninja
Techno Artist

Azuma_Ninja is on a distinguished road
Sure it's nice to have a game exlusive to one system. But what happens when other people want to play that game but don't have the system it's on. That's why I think there's nothing too wrong with games being remade on other systems. I just wish like with the RE series being brought to gamecube that they'd all get the makeover that the original got.
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 12:26 PM   #4
Zephyr
450BHP Psycopath

Zephyr is on a distinguished road
You probably all disagree... but hey, its an opinion...

I dont like the fact that just because they can make a few 1000 dollars/pounds/euros either way they should move a game series to another system. Why dont they get busy and make some more good games that people will like and by doing that they should make more than that few 1000 here or there. Then they could make a sequel and by creating the other game it may open the door to another sequel in a few years... and so on... and so on... and so on.

Anyways I think that the biggest mistake yet (it has been rectified now) is that Hideo Kojima took Substance to the other gaming machines in the world. It was a big mistake and he soon realised what he has done. But why on Earth did he have to say... ooh lets make TS for the gamecube - becasue of moneymaking. Thats the biggest problem with everything these days - and as they say... money us the root of all evil. But lets not forget, this has been argued already in another forum part of this site - that the original MG was on the NES - so why even move to Sony... you get the pattern. Anyways as they do not care video game companies will continue to do this but my main view is. If a company makes a game and it is a massive hit. When they make a sequel, surely should it not be on the same system? For example, if Rockstar made the GTA series up to this point on PC and PS/2 they should continue to do and when GTAIV comes out they shouldnt say - ooh we can make this much more money probably if we go to Xbox or Gamecube or whatever than if we stay with Sony. Its just not right becasue consumers will expect it to be on the same system they dont want to have to buy another system if they havent got the system the game requires. Anyways you probably get the drift of what Ive said here so Ill leave it at that.
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 12:59 PM   #5
kupoartist
.illustrated.thingy.

kupoartist is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by jjmoohead
What better way to make some money by creating a 3rd or 4th or 12th game (FINAL FANTASY) to make some cash.
Final Fantasy is by far the worst offender in the money grabbing buisness. Not particuarly because about 20 games fall under the title of "Final Fantasy", but because 20 completely unrelated games are called "Final Fantasy". They could have called any Final Fantasy game somthing else, but they didn't because FF was so popular.

I don't think real Sequels are bad at all, so long as the game which came before didn't totally stink. Sequels to somthing like Deus Ex, System Shock, Metal Gear Solid and Kingdom Hearts are ideas I welcome, because people actually care about the characters, and they want to see the progression of the story (regardless of whether the characters are used again). A "bad" sequel is one that simply attempts to emulate the experience of the old game, or to have nothing whatsoever shared with the game which it is numbered with (though a "bad" sequel could still be a good game).

Remakes are justifiable when the life of the original product has expired. Not because the original will no longer sell, but because that product is truely unavailable to new gamers. Personally, I think Twin Snakes is too soon, given that anyone can go out and buy MGS1 anyway.
kupoartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 01:09 PM   #6
Zephyr
450BHP Psycopath

Well yes that is true. Maybe we should have some game commandments such as:

1 - Thou shalt not make games that stink.
2 - Thou shalt not continue the storyline to games that stink. (Sequels)
3 - Thou shalt not destroy a good game by making a crap sequel.
4 - Thou shalt not overuse a games title.
5 - Thou shalt try to improve your games wherever possible.
6 - Thou shalt not sue the same game engine ALL the time.
7 - Thou shalt not steal storylines or plots in part or whole.
8 - Thou shalt not commit adultery by going from one company with an exclusive to another comapny.
9 - Thou shalt not make rubbish prequels.
10 - Thou shalt (now listen carefully this the important one) break any of these commandments.

Well I think that just about sms up my points in an entertaining way. Oh by the way, you Ubisoft workers at the back there, take note.
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 02:25 PM   #7
goodman

goodman is on a distinguished road
Having been a gamer many, many years ive noticed the habits of people like Konami and Capcom, who have been with us before console systems were even sitting in peoples homes. They have always been about putting games on every system. The best Castlevania game is on the Turbo Duo, which i have, but you probably dont. The fact is they love doing this, and always have, and we could sit and talk about it, but it wont change their mind. They have done it since the beginning, and likely always will...
goodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 02:35 PM   #8
Zephyr
450BHP Psycopath

So whats the Turbo Duo like Goodamn - any good?

I think it really is just a stupid way of going about buisness because if you think about it if people like Konami put Metal Gear Solid series as an originally exclusive series to one console and then they decide that they will make more money off another console. Surely it can be bad in ways. For a start if people on that console have not played the previous games in the series they will be doubtful and if people who played the originals dont have the system it has moved to the company may lose valuable customers. Well I think it figures that way anyways...
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 07:43 PM   #9
goodman

goodman is on a distinguished road
The TurboDuo was the great combination of the TurboGrafix 16 with a CD Rom system, it was the original CD rom system, and Sega countered with their Sega CD system. Castlevania Dracula X was only release in Japan and i bought the system and the game for about $450 in 94. The game can be bought on Ebay for probably $150, but to answer your question, the TurboDuo is one of the least recognized, yet most enjoyable systems to ever be created, their software was often done by mainstay Hudson Soft (created Bomberman, Ys, and many others). Great system, i will always cherish mine, i have around 30 very high quality titles for the system. And yes some of them are Capcom and Konami titles, Capcom put the original Street Fighter on the TG16 and Street Fighter 2 on the Duo...
goodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 02:37 PM   #10
Zephyr
450BHP Psycopath

Cool... now that sounds like a classic to me. Yes Sega CD was good but I bet the TurboDuo was better by hearing that. Good to know that Capcom dont stay with the MAJOR comapnies back then.
Old Jun 14th, 2003, 01:47 AM   #11
Azuma_Ninja
Techno Artist

It all comes down to the green(sorry i live in the us). But seriously if it was your company and you had to make some money fast I think you would just as soon remake the game on another system instead of just coming up with another.

For the overall topic in general I think fanboys are really the one's that are angry. To me who cares if a game comes out for all systems or eventually get's re-done on another system. Look at RE and MGS nothing wrong with those games re-done(yes i know Twin Snakes isn't out but so far it looks tip top).
Old Jun 14th, 2003, 09:27 AM   #12
blindman
Sketch Penguin

True that Azuma.

One question to myself though....why did i put such title for this thread?
But whatever, i think remakes arent that bad, i just wanted some opinions.
Old Jun 14th, 2003, 10:44 AM   #13
dan da man
Talk to the hand

dan da man is on a distinguished road
Yea blindman your points are true, its all about money and power, Grand theft auto is coming over to Xbox, final fanatsy to the Cube, we just have to live with it, acctually it benfits people with not many consoles.
Old Jun 14th, 2003, 04:38 PM   #14
blindman
Sketch Penguin

Yeah, it would be stupid if everygame on the market was remade into a different console...now thats odd and weird. Its also impossible, unless we are in the birch of the end of the world.
Yeah, i exaggerate.
Old Jun 14th, 2003, 04:52 PM   #15
TtTackler
¤Web-Head¤

TtTackler is on a distinguished road
First off, the new FF game for GC supposedly sucks really bad. And that's coming from the Japanese market

Secondly, Nintendo, well, actually, Miyamoto, came to Hideo and asked if he would like to make a MGS game for Gamecube. Since Miyamoto and Hideo are great friends, not to mention that Miyamoto is Hideo's mentor, he said yes. Of course, he only wanted to do a remake of a current MGS game, since he is against putting the series on other consoles besides PS2.
TtTackler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2003, 05:21 PM   #16
kupoartist
.illustrated.thingy.

Quote:
Originally posted by TtTackler
First off, the new FF game for GC supposedly sucks really bad. And that's coming from the Japanese market
I only heard good things about Crystal Chronicles from E3, and it isn't due out in Japan for a few months anyway... so the opinion of the market is a little premature to say the least.

I do dislike CC for one reason though. Good game or no, you shouldn't just call every new title you release "Final Fantasy" because it will Sell. So far i've seen a Chocobo and a Crystal: Its almost like they put these two things in as a quick excuse for raking in 50% more cash because it has FF in the title. Good buisness sense: Yes. But they're seriously starting to blur the boundaries of just what Final Fantasy is all about.... (not to mention the fact that everything in the game points more to Seiken Densetsu - the Mana series - rather than FF (the battle system, the story, the art-style) )
Old Jun 14th, 2003, 05:32 PM   #17
Azuma_Ninja
Techno Artist

Quote:
originally posted by the_artist

Yes. But they're seriously starting to blur the boundaries of just what Final Fantasy is all about....
Just curious what do you think Final Fantasy is all about? Sure everygame may not have something to do with the one before it, but usually each one has something that at least another FF game as done or had in the past ex. crystals, chocobos, cid....etc
Old Jun 15th, 2003, 05:09 AM   #18
kupoartist
.illustrated.thingy.

a tough question indeed ^_^... I honestly think that Final Fantasy no longer means anything... in a real world sense it stands for quality storylines, characters and such, but there is nothing that actually links the games sufficently anymore. Perhaps in the Nintendo days it would have been the Crystals: Final Fantasy was the "RPG about questing for Crystals" - a loose association anyway. But Since FF6, this isn't even true. Sadly, Final Fantasy is now just a label that you put on a game to sell it. Thankfully it is a label that has a very good proportion of Quality over ... Carp associated with it. (yes Carp... you know what I mean ^_^)