Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » General Forums » General Chat

Old Aug 14th, 2003, 03:46 PM   #1
Vicious_2003
Stationary Wonderer

Vicious_2003 is on a distinguished road
Lights Out (time to speculate)

From CNN.com

NEW YORK (CNN) -- A major power outage simultaneously struck several large cities in the United States and Canada late Thursday afternoon.

Cities affected include New York; Boston, Massachusetts; Cleveland, Ohio; Detroit, Michigan; Toronto, Ontario; and Ottawa, Ontario. The power outage occurred shortly after 4 p.m.

Much of Midtown Manhattan and Wall Street were shut down, including all area airports and the Long Island Railroad. The airports were operating on back-up power and operations were reported to be normal, officials said.

The New York City Police Department said they were trying to determine what happened. A Con Edison transformer on East 14th Street in Manhattan was afire, CNN learned.

Thousands of people could be seen leaving buildings and walking into the streets. New York subways were reported stopped and people were trapped in the cars.

Ok folks the news is in and it looks like the vast majority of New York is without power along with some parts of Canada, Michigan, etc. I live in Toledo and the electricity went out but came back on right away .(Thank god). So anyway, Let the specualation begin. We dont know anything yet but its never to late to start throwing around ideas and scare people with thoughts of terrorism. And hey its New York so riots are scary possibility. Sure it could just be a fire or an explosion at a power plant (Thats allready been reported as a possibility) but you know people are going to exagerate the info and start nation wide panic. I for one am taking this VERY lightly untill we get some solid facts. Ofcourse in the case of this becoming more serious I apologise for my light hearted take on the situation. So what do you guys think, or maybe you know something I dont even ?.

The kinder, gentler, Vicious

Beretta55- "fo sheezy heezy neezy weezy flipity floppity floop"

Lost Myth- "I already know you are something special and I think the Pistons did too,
because then why would they have won the trophy on your birthday dude?

Anonymous- "Whos more to blame, me for being quote un quote gullible ?, or him for lying !?"

Last edited by Vicious_2003; Aug 14th, 2003 at 03:52 PM..
Vicious_2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2003, 01:01 AM   #2
Berserker
misfit

Berserker is on a distinguished road
I just heard on the news that the US is blaming Canada and vice versa...kinda pathetic but hey it has probably something to do with insurances amd claims right?

Vincere Aut Mori
Berserker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2003, 04:11 AM   #3
Chara
Over the edge

Chara is on a distinguished road
Before oyu guys start brewing up conspiracy theories and getting your panties in a twist it was announced that they're positive it wasnt a terrorist attack. If anything it was a natural accident.

I dont think enough people have beef with the USA just for us to be having terrorist attacks like this.

If people really wanted to mess with the USA they'd just give George Bush a bag of Rold Golds.
Old Aug 15th, 2003, 07:24 AM   #4
dan da man
Talk to the hand

dan da man is on a distinguished road
Looks like Chara works for the FBI.

Was Suspicious at first, but I dont think it was a terroist attack, just a fualt.
Old Aug 15th, 2003, 12:15 PM   #5
MakgSnake

MakgSnake is on a distinguished road
I was at work in BEST BUY ....... actually I just started at 4pm..... and the light went out at 4:15pm.... exact. We told all the customers to evacuate the store after 10 minutes. And we our selves went home at around 6:45pm.

This was the biggest Black out in the HISTORY of North America. Pretty.....shocking eh. The lights came at my place... at 1:30am EXACT. But Oakville, where I work "Best Buy" is still out of electricity. So I am off today......

You know two things I found very weird....that day. And I am just saying because I think they are wierd, not because it means something.

1.) A week and half ago....in Wal Mart...I was reading in all these magazines stands, they had Nostordamus's picture on all the covers, and the HEAD LINES were saying.. "Nostordamus Needs you On August 14 and 15".... and all like that. I thought to myself saying "How pathetic, they are just trying to sell their tabloids and all".... but now that I think of it....... something major did happen....... but nothing that big. Which is a good thing.

2.) I didn't realise the fact that August 14th is my country's National day. (Pakistan).....till the lights went out. So wierd eh.

But over here in Mississuaga where I live......the lights back, but still at some places......they are still living without any electricty.

I believe there was some kind of Atomic Reaction Problem (Not that anything exploded) but something major happened in Pennsellvania (However you spell that).

Although it is said that if a UFO comes, all electricity goes out. May be one came near their Electricty department, and now they are covering it up with saying....that it was some error and all.
Old Aug 15th, 2003, 12:39 PM   #6
Gadzoox
goon squad

Gadzoox is on a distinguished road
Yeah, the power was out for 8 hours here (Ottawa, Ontario) yesterday, and today they are doing 'rolling power checks' so the power is going to be going off and on all day, apparently.

I honestly don't think it's terrorism or anything like that, just a bad black out with a wide ripple effect.

It really was pathetic, yesterday, about an hour after the power went out; literally, EVERYONE went outside. Everyone was riding bikes, walking in the park, sitting outside talking to each other! It was like that episode of the Simpsons when they cancelled Itchy & Scratchy! Very weird. So maybe it's a good thing?

I personally spent the rest of the day reading and talking with my dad... I've even been talking to my brother (we rarely talk, so I was happy about that!) maybe it isn't so bad after all. Plus, it was fun getting out all the candles!

It really is sad how much we depend on electricity today.

Besides that, President Bush was going to address the nation (of Canada and the states? I dont know); which I missed because the power was off... duh. Anyway, I don't blame the states if they don't help us or even blame us for this; after all we left them and didn't help when they were asking us for help with the terrorism thing. Frigging Cretien is a retard.
Gadzoox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2003, 10:34 PM   #7
Reid
.red house.

Reid is on a distinguished road
There was some talk of blaming southern Ontario for the blackouts, because of this region's heavy use of power and it might be pretty justified.

The Premier, Ernie Eves was telling people to close their busineses for the day unless they were necessary for people to get to as well as shut off their air conditioning but alas, I was at work along with quite a few others in various, day to day and relatively unnecessary stores and cities like Peterborough lost their power a short while after it got back on by using too many appliances right away and overloading again.

Luckily there was not a huge amount of looting or rioting, although a bit did happen in Toronto that I know of. Mostly everyone was just partying everywhere and having giant barbeques to get rid of food before it could go bad.
Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2003, 08:16 PM   #8
ssjtrunks13
Results May Vary

ssjtrunks13 is on a distinguished road
I had heard about this at various times on the radio the same day this was posted. The station I was listening to said that it was a lightning storm that caused it. Nothing happened here, but I guess it might have been a possibility that something could have happened.
ssjtrunks13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2003, 10:58 PM   #9
Vicious_2003
Stationary Wonderer

madden 2004

Quote:
Before oyu guys start brewing up conspiracy theories and getting your panties in a twist it was announced that they're positive it wasnt a terrorist attack. If anything it was a natural accident.
But brewing up conspiricy is what americas all about. Some power grid failing isnt entertaining im sorry . So ill just twist my panties as I please . (BTW i was kidding and i agree with you, I just thought the post would be more interesting that way)

Quote:
If people really wanted to mess with the USA they'd just give George Bush a bag of Rold Golds.
lol at that one

And it looks like its VERY (And i mean almost posotively) likely that the problem occured here in Ohio at some power plant where a grid over loaded . Safety measures are supposed to stop it there but for one reason or another they didnt and it spread all throught the north eastern united states. As a native of Ohio myself, I apologise

Lost Myth- "I already know you are something special and I think the Pistons did too,

Anonymous- "Whos more to blame, me for being quote un quote gullible ?, or him for lying !?"
Old Aug 16th, 2003, 11:25 PM   #10
Gadzoox
goon squad

Gadzoox is on a distinguished road
Re: madden 2004

Quote:
Originally posted by Vicious_2003

So ill just twist my panties as I please .

LOL!! Nicely done! It's good to have you back around the forums!!
Gadzoox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2003, 11:49 PM   #11
Preventer Wind

Preventer Wind is on a distinguished road
Quote:
FirstEnergy spokesman Todd Schneider said the company's computerized system for monitoring and controlling its transmission and generation system was working properly, but an alarm system to catch problems in the system was not.

CNN
So that appears to be why it wasn't stopped earlier. But this wasn't the biggest blackout in America.

"Know thy enemy and know thy self,"
"Find naught to fear in 100 battles."
"Know not thy enemy, but know thy self,"
"Find victory and defeat in equal measure"
"Know thy enemy, but know not thy self,"
"Find defeat in every battle."

Sun Tzu
Preventer Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2003, 03:58 PM   #12
Vicious_2003
Stationary Wonderer

Actually I heard a reporter on CNN say that yes it was the biggest Blackout in united states history. I dont know 100% for sure, but thats what they are saying

Old Aug 20th, 2003, 12:15 AM   #13
blindman
Sketch Penguin

blindman is on a distinguished road
Umm i was affected by the blackout. It wasnt Canadaas fault, it was supposely a thunder strike that hit the niagara falls in the side of new york....thats lame.
It was for 2 days in my neighbourhoosd and 5 days everywhere else. It wasnt nice, i had to sleep in my HOT room and i wasnt eating properly for those 2 days. It wasnt bad, but it was a pain.
blindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 12:26 AM   #14
Chara
Over the edge

Chara is on a distinguished road
I talked to some family in New York and they said it was so dark there you couldnt see your hands in front of you and there were car crashes left and right.

And do I work for the FBI? =O

I work for the government, though. ^_^ (well, In two weeks, actually)
Old Aug 24th, 2003, 02:21 AM   #15
D][giTaL

D][giTaL is on a distinguished road
being in that power outage was quite interesting.. its also scary to see how much our live have come to depend on one single rescource.
One of my friends got stuff on an elevator for 2 hours!! that would really suck!
D][giTaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24th, 2003, 08:16 AM   #16
David
Need a Bouncer?

David is on a distinguished road
The power out was caused from a lightning blot hitting a power plant between the border of Canada and the States(Niagra Falls). And I was ferious, I was gonna get MVP on SOCOM again, and then power fades out and then, damn! Will, since then, I didn't get warped by games that much anymore, it was like a breather. It was kinda cool after, except for when it was only Ontario and abit of the states that gotten the power out!

I want to be a bouncer, wanna try me?
David is offline   Reply With Quote