Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » General Forums » General Chat

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 12:13 PM   #1
Jolie

Jolie is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

After reading, some days ago, that the first human being has been cloned, I felt really uneasy. Don't know why, after all this is not my problem for the present moment, but I can't hide that regarding this matter I'm pretty scared. I don't know if I'm being too strict or if I'm not open minded, but I hate thinking that in our future, people could be artificially created. To me, it's insulting the nature itself and the principles of life.
Jolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2002, 12:52 PM   #2
Suzuki_Fanboy

Suzuki_Fanboy is on a distinguished road
1) They have given NO evidence of the clone. I seriously doubt they did it, but I guess we'll see.

2) They are from a religion that believes extra-terrestrial scientists used genetics to create us and put us on this planet.

3) Yes, it is a moral issue. People are playing God. The end result would lead to good things (in the medical field, as in finding cures for diseases and being able to fix diseases while the baby is still in the womb, etc) but it's still wrong. Doctors shouldn't tamper with a baby in the womb to cure it of diseases. You should let it be born the way it was meant to. So I don't agree with cloning...
Suzuki_Fanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2002, 02:22 PM   #3
DSgamer
here and there

DSgamer is on a distinguished road
man, its like that movie "the sixth day" with arnold. I think its cool they're cloning ppl, but what if they start cloning ppl so they can grow up to be solidier!! "star wars" style.
Old Dec 30th, 2002, 02:45 PM   #4
kupoartist
.illustrated.thingy.

kupoartist is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Suzuki_Fanboy
1) They have given NO evidence of the clone. I seriously doubt they did it, but I guess we'll see.
they're supposedly bringing the girl over to the US to be examined via DNA tests. It's pointless them doing so anyway, because regardless of whether its a clone or not, people's first reaction will be that the whole thing was rigged. I personnally think its false anyway, and simply a ploy by the head guy of the religion to win over the thick and those who simply stink of "dumb" to his side with "miracles" that were only a matter of months away anyway (the Italian Scientest guy was supposed to have it cracked by next month.) Largely, he will fail. You cannot convert those already strongly in their religions by sickening them, and who wants a cult full of new-age slack-jawed-yokels anyway?

anyways, does anyone feel like creating a new religion run by a man (well, half-man / half-biscuit) that preaches the gospel of "Sony" and promises a better life in "the third place"

or maybe not

Edit: umm... I forgot to say that cloning's benefits are outweighed by the moral implications of creating a second "you" that will let you effectivley let you live forever, in a world where there are already to many people... especially as there is no actual link between the two of you. When you are dead, you are dead. thats it.

And all the benefits could be served in other less unethical ways i'm sure. Cloning is just about megalomanical weirdos, playing with powers they can't understand. With any luck, the clones will retaliate or somthing
kupoartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2002, 03:18 PM   #5
Cannibal Clown
Taijutsu Master

Cannibal Clown is on a distinguished road
I suppsoe that when it comes to the cloning of a human being isn't right, one should not be givin the power to create another living being unless it's done the right way, which i find far more fun than using a f*cking test tube. But anyways, I am a very religious person, and the oly one who should be in charge of the creation of livfe is god, and no one else.

I am however, are a bit more open minded when it comes to endangered animals, and other things which will die out completely simply because there aren't enough of them to continue on. For a situation like that, i feel that this is one of the great accomplishments of science, but it still is playing God and that bothers me a bit. But if they must, i think that they should do it for the better of our planet, and not for mankind, who is already a multi billion species. Like, the first thing they cloned was a f*cking sheep or goat or whatever the hell it was. they could have done something about the big furry cute cat things out in africa and south america, not some f*cking farm animal!

Anyways, in the whole of the issue, I'm not sure if i'm really totally against the idea of cloning, but when it comes to creating a human out of nothing more than some dna from another, just to end up with an exact replica of the original copy, it's pointless.

Cannibal Clown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2002, 04:09 PM   #6
BlackThornn
Teacher Banzai

BlackThornn is on a distinguished road
As has been said, they've given no evidence of the cloning.

It's "Cloning".. Not Clonation.

Moral implications of cloning are for the most part limited to religious beliefs, and personal beliefs more than that. Human knowledge of the workings of the brain is too limited to do the kind of imprinting outlined by this nut job Rael or in the movie The Sixth Day. And that plus flawless accelerated growth technology would be needed to even come close to making a "second you". The clone would be a genetic copy only. It would look like you, in twenty or so years, but it would have different experiences, hence a different personality. And a different "soul", since it would not share the bio-electric energy that powers your brain.

Rael apparently got his little "imprinting" idea directly from the Sixth day. Just another means to discredit his already ridiculous beliefs. I pity the 55,000 pathetic twits who follow him. (..has anyone seen this assbasket?! 50's B movie sci fi outfit, mohawk-topknot hair, and the quebeqois accent..? Guh. If I was an alien I wouldn't want anything to do with his insane self.)

I couldn't care less really, save that it's pretty much only going to be the rich and powerful who can clone at all. The medicinal benefits such as Stem Cells and spare organs and all that are nice, but I think Cannibal Clown said it well when he said exact copies are pointless. (though customizing the kid would be cool.. purifying the genes if you will. though that'd likely only be for the rich if at all as well). I think that any "god" would have known that he gave us the power of the mind to accomplish this, and ergo would have condoned it, if he cared at all.

I am the Thornn in your side.

The Matrix has you.
BlackThornn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2002, 04:47 PM   #7
Gadzoox
goon squad

Gadzoox is on a distinguished road
Cloning humans is VERY disturbing to me. I know we've gone amazingly far with technology, but where do we draw the line? When has it gone too far and who decides it?

Just like that thread I started way back about cloning the Thylacine (Tasmanian Tiger) and re-introducing it into the wild. Is cloning extinct animals alright, not dinosaurs, but animals that HUMANS have killed off?

I'm actually kind of scared of this cloning humans stuff. Who decides who gets to be cloned? Why were those crazy alien-people ALLOWED to clone? (if it happened)

biggest question of all; WHY?
Gadzoox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2002, 05:02 PM   #8
BlackThornn
Teacher Banzai

BlackThornn is on a distinguished road
As to why they were allowed, not all (infact very few) countries have passed Anti-Cloning laws. Even the United States has not made stipulations EXPRESSLY banning Human Cloning.

Though maybe it was a conspiracy by the more right-wing groups from home (US), being that having these UFO obsessed ninnies even associated with the first Cloned human child probably set back the situation anywhere from a decade to a century.

I am the Thornn in your side.

The Matrix has you.
BlackThornn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2002, 05:08 PM   #9
Gadzoox
goon squad

Gadzoox is on a distinguished road
Ew... really? That's really scary...

Also scary because to get the 'normal' right clone, they first have to go through countless failures... do they just kill the demented ones or what?

Cannibal - I think the sheep dealy was a tester... I think it would cost more to get tiger genes and keep fiddling around with them until they got it right. :/
Gadzoox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2002, 03:48 AM   #10
Frozen
Dante May Cry

Frozen is on a distinguished road
As in everything else in this world, everything has it's good and evil purposes.

It depends on the reason a cloning will take, I believe. As long as it is used for medical purposes as to cure diseases and regenerate organs, there is absolutely nothing "evil" or "immoral" on it.

And I find quite ridicolous this over used expression so many people use "to play God", when cloning, as some others have already said, is nothing but make a genetical copy of a living being. Nothing else than that. Make a copy. There is not a creation taking place in the way "God" would do it, since there is basically no way of creating a human beign out of nothing, except from "copying" "it" from others.

But well, yeah, I really don't find a reasonable cause for cloning a whole human being, with a good purpose. To use them as soldiers, expendable figures in war?

blah, I began to talk bullshit now

Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2002, 06:02 PM   #11
MakgSnake

MakgSnake is on a distinguished road
No matter how many are made, when the day of Judgement comes, everything will perish.
Old Dec 31st, 2002, 06:18 PM   #12
kupoartist
.illustrated.thingy.

kupoartist is on a distinguished road
hmm... its more scary the more I think about it, because the whole moral implications are that cloning would ultimatly be used to false-start evolution and create a superior human race - the first guy who leaps to mind when thinking like that is probably Hitler, and i'd be pretty worried that elements of racism and just about any other kind of prejudice could be entered into such a system

also, didn't the whole first cloning thing partially fail when "Dolly" began to age to quickly? if thats so, why are people using somthing thats guaranteed to be harmful to the creation?
kupoartist is offline   Reply With Quote