Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » Gaming Forums » Final Fantasy Forum

Closed Thread

Old Aug 17th, 2002, 03:46 PM   #1
ToulaPich

ToulaPich is on a distinguished road
Square Milking the FF series.

Now we all know Square is one of those godly developers us PS2 gamers dare not speak badly of, but some things just can't be ignored.

Like how they seem to call their flagship RPG Final Fantasy, now I know the reasons behind this ploy, and it's not bad but when they make a movie that has the same name you'd expect the same high standards ...

I love Square and I always thought their FMV clips in the recent FF games were quite good and very much entertaining, but when they try to translate mastery like that onto the silver screen it seems to fall short, very short, of greatness that we come to expect from Square.

May be I should get flamed for my opinions and such, but why not listen instead of viciousily defending all that is is Squaresoft.

It's obvious that Square isn't actually good at other games besides RPGs, and even in the RPG realm they aren't perfect. In fact it looks like they are expanding the name into somewhat of side stories. Like for example FF: Crystal Chronicles, now we all remember FF: Mystic Quest and how horrible that game was...

I'm not being mean or anything, I'm just giving you the facts. And the fact is Square should really start being more innovative... I know, I know, the FF series(The main one) has evolved regarding the battle system and character building, but generally it's been the same epic quest. I'm sure they have made decent to good games but most people don't know about them outside of FF.

What bothers me most about games that Square makes, that aren't RPGs, is the fact that they are either very mediocre or just plain hard. Take for example Chocobo Racer and Erhgiez. They aren't RPGs(excluding Erhgeiz's quest) but have a host of FF characters.

There are many developers who aren't perfect, in fact there are none. There are great Developers/Publishers like Sony, who seem to pump really good games after another, then you have developers who are really good at making arcade or arcade-like games (SNK, Sega anyone?). Then you have developers like Square who have the talent and money to be the best of the best but seem to be lacking in some areas. If they put as much effort, time and money into establishing another genre they can rule all.

It just pisses me off that a great developer like Square isn't maximizing it's potential and breaking new ground. It's definitely a big dog and their great games have out weighed their bad-decent games by a large margin.
Old Aug 17th, 2002, 07:14 PM   #2
Pu the Owl
Useless Oracle™

Pu the Owl is on a distinguished road
Re: Square Milking the FF series.

Quote:
Originally posted by ToulaPich
It's obvious that Square isn't actually good at other games besides RPGs, and even in the RPG realm they aren't perfect. In fact it looks like they are expanding the name into somewhat of side stories. Like for example FF: Crystal Chronicles, now we all remember FF: Mystic Quest and how horrible that game was...

I'm not being mean or anything, I'm just giving you the facts. And the fact is Square should really start being more innovative... I know, I know, the FF series(The main one) has evolved regarding the battle system and character building, but generally it's been the same epic quest. I'm sure they have made decent to good games but most people don't know about them outside of FF.

What bothers me most about games that Square makes, that aren't RPGs, is the fact that they are either very mediocre or just plain hard. Take for example Chocobo Racer and Erhgiez. They aren't RPGs(excluding Erhgeiz's quest) but have a host of FF characters.
I completely agree with you and with the greatest part of your post, and I'm sure I'll be flamed too because I'm one of the few people who are irritated for the Kingdom Hearts project. I think Square should be more innovative, as you said, and put some new ideas in their main series. And if they plan making new games, they should stop using old ideas and characters just to make some die-hard fans happy. This is nonsense. I hope they don't start making sequels of FF games in the future, because this will be the worst thing ever.
I don't mind very much the fact they're only good at making RPGs and nothing else, but if they keep on repeating themselves game after game, this is kinda bothering. And I hate the fact they create side-games, as Ergheiz or Kingdom Hearts, putting in them older characters that are completely out of place anywhere else apart from the original game they're from.
Old Aug 18th, 2002, 08:06 PM   #3
AsylumEscapee

AsylumEscapee is on a distinguished road
I just finished FFX. You really can't blame them for not "reaching their full potential", or that kind of bull. Final Fantasy is something special. And games like FFX have a beauty to them that's unique to FF. I hope they keep making them 'till the end of time. And if you don't like them (you undeserveing swine) then don't buy them.
Quote:
I know, I know, the FF series(The main one) has evolved regarding the battle system and character building, but generally it's been the same epic quest.
Yes, who cares if the gameplay and game mechanics change? The story lines shouldn't be so epic. Forget saving the world, how about the adventures of the kitchen sink? Final Fantasy: The Sims?
All they do is milk FF. Vagrant Story? Xenogears? These games never existed!
Quote:
Originally posted by Fortune
I don't mind very much the fact they're only good at making RPGs and nothing else, but if they keep on repeating themselves game after game, this is kinda bothering.
Final Fantasy 11. It's online for crying out loud.
But now we have the other crowd saying that they never wanted an online RPG, that things were fine the way they were.
Old Aug 18th, 2002, 09:27 PM   #4
ToulaPich

Hey look buddy, you don't know me, I don't know you, so you better chose your words more carefully. And that little bit about me as a undeserving swine is a very sad reference since I lack the trademark snout that a normal pig usually tends to have.

How about a Final Fantasy set in a totally different universe... and your main character isn't human. I'm by no means "dissin" the FF series, I've played every one of them that reached the States and I was also unfortunate enough to play through FF: Mystic Quest.

Is the FF series getting kinda bland after 10 incarnations? I guess my answer would be yes. Sure they're fun and they have those great, emotional moments but underneath it all, it's a game... games can't talk to you, they don't tuck you in at night.

What is the ultimate goal of playing FFX? Is it to arouse your curosity about the world outside your window? Or is it about faith, not in God but in your closest comrades.... You know what the ultimate goal is my friend? It's so that Square gets more cash and makes more deals and other things of that nature. Gaming is a business, and it's only gonna get bigger.

I have a soft spot somewhere in my cold heart to accept such things... I love the FF series. I wish they can go on forever, but it's not possible, we're gettin' older and we expect more from Square.

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 09:38 PM   #5
AsylumEscapee

Quote:
Hey look buddy, you don't know me, I don't know you, so you better chose your words more carefully. And that little bit about me as a undeserving swine is a very sad reference since I lack the trademark snout that a normal pig usually tends to have.

How about a Final Fantasy set in a totally different universe... and your main character isn't human. I'm by no means "dissin" the FF series, I've played every one of them that reached the States and I was also unfortunate enough to play through FF: Mystic Quest.

Is the FF series getting kinda bland after 10 incarnations? I guess my answer would be yes. Sure they're fun and they have those great, emotional moments but underneath it all, it's a game... games can't talk to you, they don't tuck you in at night.

What is the ultimate goal of playing FFX? Is it to arouse your curosity about the world outside your window? Or is it about faith, not in God but in your closest comrades.... You know what the ultimate goal is my friend? It's so that Square gets more cash and makes more deals and other things of that nature. Gaming is a business, and it's only gonna get bigger.

I have a soft spot somewhere in my cold heart to accept such things... I love the FF series. I wish they can go on forever, but it's not possible, we're gettin' older and we expect more from Square.

It's not really the 10th incarnation. And after beating FFX I'm glad I can say I still love them.
The goal of Final Fantasy? Gamers buy them to entretain themselfs and SquareSoft sells them for cash. It's busness, you know? You can't be mad because they're making money.
As for the swine remark, I thought it was pretty damn funny.
Oh, and by the way, every Final Fantasy is set in a different universe. And dont expect your games to tuck you in at night (you lonely pathetic swine).
Old Aug 18th, 2002, 09:54 PM   #6
ToulaPich

Maybe you should readmit yourself into the mental institution your escaped from.

What kind of universes??... oh yeah the ones with continents, ocean, deserts and mountains.

I got no problem with business... It's how they play with our memories and expect us to buy the game soley on their brand name.

So Ass-ylum you gonna buy FFXI, with the HDD as well as the network adapter?? and then pay $10 a month as well as $1 everytime you make a new character?? Think about... oh wait a minute,you're a retard.

You seem quite confident of yourself, and that swine remark was so friggin' funny, that only YOU laughed...

Oh gosh golly no, a game won't tuck me in... boo hoo, why would I want some game packaging to tuck me in, when my girlfriend can do a MUCH better job.
Old Aug 18th, 2002, 10:30 PM   #7
IcyMourdor
Cream Puff

IcyMourdor is on a distinguished road
Hey, you guys need to chill. Is it that hard to have a discussion about the greatest series of all time?

Anyways, on to the topic.

Having Squaresoft release the old games is a very great idea. Not many of you have played the original and the older games of the series, and Square knows this. This will rake in lots of money and lets people know what I am talking about.
Old Aug 19th, 2002, 02:21 AM   #8
shaunathon260

shaunathon260 is on a distinguished road
alright enough i'll settle this...asylum is right and toulapich is wrong(???how old r u toulapich...six years old???)

my opinion is for you toulapich to actually go through each FF and you'll see how much of a wonderful experience you get by playing them and you'll also see how different each story is.After you give the series a chance then your opinion will matter.

and about other games like ehergiez....some of them are good...mabye not as good as any FF but some of them r worth playing.
Old Aug 19th, 2002, 08:08 AM   #9
AsylumEscapee

Quote:
What kind of universes??... oh yeah the ones with continents, ocean, deserts and mountains.
They all take place in different universes. Each games story line has nothing to do with the previous ones.
Quote:
I got no problem with business... It's how they play with our memories and expect us to buy the game soley on their brand name.
If you don't WANT another FF, then don't BUY another FF. The FF name assures that non-RPG fans won't buy it, and FF fans will be getting a quality game. It sells because they're RPG-perfection.
Quote:
So Ass-ylum you gonna buy FFXI, with the HDD as well as the network adapter?? and then pay $10 a month as well as $1 everytime you make a new character?? Think about... oh wait a minute,you're a retard.
You said FFs were alll the same. I didn't say anything regarding the cost, idiot. But, now that you bring it up, I AM planning on buying a hard drive.
Quote:
You seem quite confident of yourself, and that swine remark was so friggin' funny, that only YOU laughed...

It's how I amuse myself.
Quote:
Oh gosh golly no, a game won't tuck me in... boo hoo, why would I want some game packaging to tuck me in, when my girlfriend can do a MUCH better job.
Heh. Don't try to show off. No one cares about you and your girlfriend and it's got nothing to do with the topic. By the way, you brought up the whole bed tucking thing. Check the next quote.
Quote:

The only legit arguement you made was that they used FF7 characters in Eirghiz (or however its spelled), but I kinda liked fighting as or against the FF7 crew. I thought it was damn original.

There's really nothing to ***** at. The series is great. New FFs (like FF11) are doing great new things, while keeping the beauty that makes them a FF. Square sells RPGs cause theyre great at it, not cause they're "milking FF". Look at Xenogears, Vagrant Story, and Chrono Cross. So stop making an idiot of yourself, shut up, and kill yourself.
Old Aug 19th, 2002, 01:24 PM   #10
IcyMourdor
Cream Puff

IcyMourdor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
alright enough i'll settle this...asylum is right and toulapich is wrong(???how old r u toulapich...six years old???)

So stop making an idiot of yourself, shut up, and kill yourself.
*shakes his head* Where did I go wrong?

Squaresoft is a company. They make games and are famous for their Final Fantasy series. Whoopie! EA makes Madden 2003. Midway makes Gauntlet and Mortal Komabt. Capcom makes Street Fighter and Mega Man.

You can't blame the companies! The consumers are the ones who make the games famous. Supply and demand. We demand more games, they supply it.

If you don't demand it, then get off it and don't do it. I have played all but FF2j and FF3j. My only disappointment was FFIX. Yes, I even liked FFMQ. I will play the specific games that I like, not because it has the name Final Fantasy. It just happens that 3 of my top 5 games are Final Fantasy. It is experted as an RPG player.

BTW: You two had some respectible posts up until you threw in the immature comments. "How old are you?" "Why don't you just go kill yourself?"

Here's an idea. Lets not use insults and such in a discussion like this. I know, it is pretty farfetched, but lets give it a shot.
Old Aug 19th, 2002, 01:43 PM   #11
Pu the Owl
Useless Oracle™

Pu the Owl is on a distinguished road
Calm down guys. Nobody's right and nobody's wrong. You love (or hate, it's the same) so much a gaming company to tell others such things because they said anything about games from this company? This is ridiculous. You're here to express your opinions, not to start flaming people who don't agree with your ideas. You have no right to call others stupid or stuff like that because they don't like the same games you love or because they express an opinion. You can say whatever you want, but you can't offend others just because you don't like what they think, ok?

You'll get a ban if I see another couple of comments like the ones you posted here.

And I'm sorry if anyone was interested to talk about this topic in a mature way, but I have to close it in order stop this stupid argument.
Closed Thread