Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Mark Forums Read   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » Gaming Forums » Other Consoles

Old Oct 4th, 2004, 08:49 PM   #1
Aubrey McFatum

Aubrey McFatum is on a distinguished road
Question SW Galaxies world questions about characters

I'm curious to know, from those who played or are playing SW Galaxies, which race/job have you picked for your character? I'm planning to get the game sooner or later, so I was wondering what are the most common races in the gameand what people usually do in the game for job, apart form wanting to be bounty hunter or jedi knight...

Do you believe in God?
The question is does God believe in me?

Aubrey McFatum
Aubrey McFatum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2004, 12:11 PM   #2
jjmoohead
MAGIC MONKEY

jjmoohead is on a distinguished roadjjmoohead is on a distinguished roadjjmoohead is on a distinguished road
well i became a mastor tailor, master murchant ... it was ok except i was a wookie and wookie clothing sucks...if your going to make clothing and stuff i recommend anything but a wookie..

The Magic Is Coming!
jjmoohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2004, 10:27 PM   #3
Rei
EVA 00 Pilot

Rei is on a distinguished road
LOL, the idea of the wookie tailor is pretty unique and I find only a mooman could think about making it real
Rei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2004, 08:54 AM   #4
Harry
Administrator

Harry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmoohead
well i became a mastor tailor, master murchant ... it was ok except i was a wookie and wookie clothing sucks...if your going to make clothing and stuff i recommend anything but a wookie..
Hahahahaha JJ this was fun! A wookie master tailor - maybe it would have been more useful if they had included "barber" as a work for wookies.
Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2004, 10:53 PM   #5
Chara
Over the edge

Chara is on a distinguished road
My character was a human novice bounty hunter before I quit. Also was novice medic, I think.

I also created a charcater for the hell of it... it was a female zabrak entertainer and me and a friend just went in cantinas dueling each other with our insturments while wearing nothing but our underwear.
Chara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2004, 10:27 PM   #6
Aubrey McFatum

I'm amazed! Not everybody playing this game is trying to become a Jedi! But is it true there are limitations to become one? If so, what are these limitations? Does it mean not anybody can become a Jedi? That's why many people prefer different careers?

Do you believe in God?

Aubrey McFatum
Old Oct 10th, 2004, 11:38 AM   #7
jjmoohead
MAGIC MONKEY

jjmoohead is on a distinguished roadjjmoohead is on a distinguished roadjjmoohead is on a distinguished road
in the beginning it was fun, trying to get my master stuff so i could make my own clothes...however...once i got to max wookie clothing it got boring...i did however work with an engineer to make biowear...i had an amazing little business pulling in nearly a million a day....problem was i couldnt convince myslef to drop mastor tailor to start something else...

in the beggining to become jedi you had to guess what 4 trades you had to master...some people mastered them all just to have a shot at jedi...now you have halotrons or something like that to tell you what to do....not sure how advanced it went after that though....i quit about 6 months ago.

The Magic Is Coming!
jjmoohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11th, 2004, 10:31 AM   #8
Pu the Owl
Useless Oracle™

Pu the Owl is on a distinguished road
Just started playing, but frankly I can say I have no intention, at least for now, to become a Jedi or a bounty hunter. I started as an Entertainer, only a novice for the èresent moment. I have no idea what I'll do next.
Pu the Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11th, 2004, 11:23 AM   #9
MADRUCKIS
Noble Psychopath

MADRUCKIS is on a distinguished road
how much is the game and the monthly?
MADRUCKIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11th, 2004, 11:51 AM   #10
Spank-A-Thon
Carpe Diem Baby!

Spank-A-Thon is on a distinguished road
Wow - so many questions. Let's see if I can answer them all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubrey McFatum
I'm curious to know, from those who played or are playing SW Galaxies, which race/job have you picked for your character? I'm planning to get the game sooner or later, so I was wondering what are the most common races in the gameand what people usually do in the game for job, apart form wanting to be bounty hunter or jedi knight...
I'm a wookiee who is a Master Carbineer. By far the most common race in SWG is human followed by Zabrak. The most common job is more difficult to answer, I'd probably say some variant on Teris Kasi Artist at the moment.

If you really want to be unique, try being a Rodian - I don't recall ever seeing a female Rodian... come to think of it, not many female wooks either...
Quote:
I'm amazed! Not everybody playing this game is trying to become a Jedi! But is it true there are limitations to become one? If so, what are these limitations? Does it mean not anybody can become a Jedi? That's why many people prefer different careers?
I don't want to become Jedi either - I'm just content playing a character in the Star Wars universe. There are limitation in acheiving Jedi in that it takes a minimum amount of time under the new system. I could go into more detail but it's probably not worth it. The important thing to note is that everyone can become Jedi eventually - if they want it. I wouldn't say it was easy though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MADRUCKIS
how much is the game and the monthly?
I don't know how much the game is to buy, probably about 30$ or so, but I pay £10UKP per month to play - I think it's $15USD.

- S
Old Oct 11th, 2004, 12:09 PM   #11
Aubrey McFatum

Thanks all for the answers.

BTW, does anybody know where I could find some image galleries of customized characters created by players? Also, are they going to add new races in the future? If yes... do you have an idea about what new races will be in the game?

Do you believe in God?

Aubrey McFatum
Old Oct 11th, 2004, 01:58 PM   #12
Spank-A-Thon
Carpe Diem Baby!

Quote:
Thanks all for the answers.

BTW, does anybody know where I could find some image galleries of customized characters created by players? Also, are they going to add new races in the future? If yes... do you have an idea about what new races will be in the game?
I don't know about image galleries of characters, but you could try the Star Wars Galaxies Web Site Player Screenshot of the Day or alternatively, see my stickied thread at the top of this forum.

As for new species, the Jump To Lightspeed expansion brings us the Ithorians and the Sullustans.

- S
Old Oct 13th, 2004, 07:20 AM   #13
Meiko

Meiko is on a distinguished road
How much the character you create can be customized?
Meiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 10:27 AM   #14
Pu the Owl
Useless Oracle™

Pu the Owl is on a distinguished road
You mean... physical customization?
Pu the Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 03:36 PM   #15
Meiko

Yes, I mean that in particular way. And also about jobs, how much they influence the character? Are they like the usual RPG stats?
Old Oct 24th, 2004, 02:54 PM   #16
Spank-A-Thon
Carpe Diem Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meiko
Yes, I mean that in particular way. And also about jobs, how much they influence the character? Are they like the usual RPG stats?
Some species have more customisation options than others so for example, humans can have hair styles whereas Mon Calamari don't.

Aside from the starting customisation, within the game there are people who are Image Designers and they can perform more customisation on your character (tattoos, more hair styles and so forth).

As for jobs, you have 250 skill points and you can spend those as you see fit. Once you have spent them, that's it - your character is as developed as it will get in terms of stats. SWG is not like other RPGs where you get "+2 to strength" and other such things - you don't level your character.

So if you become a Master of something, that's it.

Hope this makes sense.

- S
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 08:31 AM   #17
Meiko

Thanks! It's sort of clearer now! But now I'm wondering: if your character doesn't really level up, how can he face stronger enemies or more difficult adversities while the game goes on? I guess you can't always face the same weak monsters the whole time or that some enemies must be stronger than others. This would mean this game is boring and there's no variety in it... If your character, for example, doesn't gain more strenght or agility and such things that we have in classic RPG games, how can you do new stuff? Is it only based on skills? Do skills make your character more able to do new things as you acquire them, so that from a certain point of view they work like stats for the character's developement?
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 09:06 AM   #18
Spank-A-Thon
Carpe Diem Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meiko
Thanks! It's sort of clearer now! But now I'm wondering: if your character doesn't really level up, how can he face stronger enemies or more difficult adversities while the game goes on? I guess you can't always face the same weak monsters the whole time or that some enemies must be stronger than others. This would mean this game is boring and there's no variety in it... If your character, for example, doesn't gain more strenght or agility and such things that we have in classic RPG games, how can you do new stuff? Is it only based on skills? Do skills make your character more able to do new things as you acquire them, so that from a certain point of view they work like stats for the character's developement?
As you progress and gain more skills for your player, you also gain new specials. Within each profession you have 4 skill trees and once you have completed all 4 trees you can become a Master of that profession (0000 - 4444).

So for example, when I acheived Carbineer 0300 I gained the skill CrippleShot. This is a special attack I can use with my carbine which has a 7.5x damage modifier - hence I can do more damage and therefore tackle tougher enemies. It's not just about damage though, it's also about speed. Each weapon and special has a delay factor. As you develop your skills you gain speed which affects how quickly you can fire a special.

So with CrippleShot I can do an average of 2K damage per shot. With +60 Speed I can do this special once every 3 seconds which means I can take out some bad guys fairly well. However, I also have Bounty Hunter 0400 which gives me an extra 45 Carbine speed points which means I am +105. Because of this I can use any special once per second which means I can take out even harder enemies.

The basic priniciple is the quicker and harder you hit, the tougher you are. So when I started Carbines I could only hit for about 100 every 4 seconds, now I hit for about 2K every second.

Now, there are some very strong monsters in the game (Krayt Dragons, NightSisters, Dark Jedi Adepts) and there is no way in hell I could kill one on my own - so this is where the Multiplayer from the MMORPG comes in.

If you want to take out the real bad guys you have to form a group - and when there's 20 of you in a group then things are a little easier.

SWG is not a traditional RPG in the way you level up. Your character stays the same - it's the skills that are gained which define your character.

- S