Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » General Forums » Comics And Anime Forum

Old Jul 24th, 2003, 02:13 PM   #1
Reid
.red house.

Reid is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Best of the New

For those who keep up on the new series that're coming out, what're some of your favourites that you'd recommend?

My favourites ongoing right now are;

Gad Guard

Wolf's Rain

and Naruto I'm not a huge fan of, though it's sort of entertaining in a really light, fun kind of way.

I also have what's been released of Ghost in the Shell : Stand Alone Complex sitting on my puter, that I haven't got to watching - though it looks to be really good.
Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 05:27 AM   #2
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

merylsilverburg is on a distinguished road
GadGuard is a great new series. I've only seen 3 episodes so far, but it looks pretty promising.

Others I'd recommend are:

Last Exile, Kino no Tabi (The Beautiful World), and HeatGuy-J. I believe HeatGuy is already released in the states, so I recommend that first.

"Have a little priest" ~ Mrs. Lovett

"Grim Reaper, you could not get the women? What was the problem? Didn't you reap them with your grim reaping equipment?"

"I tried that but the women, they all know hopscotch" ~ Eddie Izzard

You Can Help

merylsilverburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 09:36 AM   #3
Reid
.red house.

I've got the first couple episodes of Kino no Tabi and Last Exile though I haven't had the chance to check them out yet.

Kino no Tabi looks very good though from the little parts I have seen while previewing it. The animation looks fantastic.

And, meryl, I'm very glad that you've seen Gad Guard. From what I've checked out so far it looks to be very good.

The music and animation style are both so refreshing, especially the intro and outro.
Old Jul 26th, 2003, 04:02 AM   #4
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

Quote:
Originally posted by Reid

I've got the first couple episodes of Kino no Tabi and Last Exile though I haven't had the chance to check them out yet.

Kino no Tabi looks very good though from the little parts I have seen while previewing it. The animation looks fantastic.
Kino no Tabi is a unique and calm series. I've only seen 2 episodes, but they were really drew the viewer in. It's dark, moody, reflective....I like it. Check it out when you get the chance.

Last Exile is great too. The animation is very nice and the vehicle/machine designs are beautiful. Only seen 3 episodes, but hope to get the others.

Quote:
And, meryl, I'm very glad that you've seen Gad Guard. From what I've checked out so far it looks to be very good.

The music and animation style are both so refreshing, especially the intro and outro.
Yes! The music and animation are refreshing and unique. The character/background style reminds me of those old American cartoons. I'm not sure if you know what I'm talking about, but something like "Felix the Cat" or "Betty Boop" (1930's?). The ending animation has that "street/pop art" look to it and I really enjoyed it, as well as the music. The Gad designs reminds me of the retro robots of older animes, such as the ones from Tezuka, Osamu's creations.

"Grim Reaper, you could not get the women? What was the problem? Didn't you reap them with your grim reaping equipment?"

You Can Help

Old Jul 26th, 2003, 04:18 AM   #5
Vic Viper
Nero Must Die !

Vic Viper is on a distinguished road
reid, hows wolf's rain ? i heared its from makers of cowboy bebop.

Vic Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2003, 11:55 AM   #6
Reid
.red house.

Wolf's Rain is really good and is by BONES the people behind Cowboy Bebop and Rah Xephon, so it's got that constant level of production quality throughout the series.

The story is about a pack of wolf/humans that are searching for paradise - a lot more goes on but that would sort of ruin it.

Anyway, fansubbers have released up until episode 23 (of probably 24-26) and i'm pretty sure it's done airing in Japan, so it'll probably get licensed at some point soon judging by the popularity of Bebop and Xephon.
Old Jul 26th, 2003, 02:37 PM   #7
Vic Viper
Nero Must Die !

Vic Viper is on a distinguished road
sounds great, ill sure check it out when it hits the u.s., thanks.

Vic Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2003, 06:38 PM   #8
Suzuki_Fanboy

Suzuki_Fanboy is on a distinguished road
I definitely reccomend Naruto. It's awesome...great humor, action, and storyline, IMO.

I want to see Gad Guard, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.
Suzuki_Fanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 02:06 AM   #9
Hero
Lost Hero

Hero is on a distinguished road
Get Backers, Naruto, Wolf's Rain...

I don't recommend Wolf's Rain. The animation is good, but the story is rather stupid. (Before any of you flame, opinions are things I'm entitled too)

I personally like anime that moves me with the characters and if Naruto and Get Backers doesn't move you, nothing will, I'll tell you that much. The companionship between Amano Ginji and Midou Ban is catching, and the other characters each have originality. Akabane "Dr. Jackal" is a very good character because he's kind of like Magus from Chrono Trigger... Sometimes he's a good guy, other times he's an enemy.

Gundam Seed is pretty good, but
Spoiler: show
everyone dies which is pretty weird, but that's what you'd expect from Gundam

I barely saw Scryed recently, and I strongly recommend it.
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 02:49 AM   #10
Reid
.red house.

Scryed's a really class show as well once you get past the character design and over the top style of fighting.

Even though it seems like the kind of show I wouldn't usually be a big fan of there was just something about it that was really entertaining - and isn't that what it all comes down to?

Hero, what didn't you like a lot about Wolf's Rain story? I haven't been keeping up with it for the last long while (since episode 13-16, somewhere around there) so it could have fallen off.

It seemed like the story's potential was either to go somewhere really interesting or just sort of die off.

I think I like it a lot because I find the main characters really engaging.
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 03:14 AM   #11
Hero
Lost Hero

You got it right the first time. The story dies off. I was really engaged in it, but at about 15 or so, it just died off on me. I was like "I don't really want to watch this." That kind of thing is REALLY bad, because usually once I get to about episode 8 or so, I'm hooked on an anime, but if it gets me as far as 13 and then it unplugs me, then I lose respect for the team that made it.
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 03:16 AM   #12
Hero
Lost Hero

Quote:
Originally posted by Reid

Scryed's a really class show as well once you get past the character design and over the top style of fighting.
Yeah the character design is really old school, but I like the fact that it had old school look but with new school animation techniques. I liked the concept of a character as rough as Kazuma. I hope they make a second season.

I watch a lot of anime and movies, but lately I've been busy to speculate. Me and my friend were thinking of starting an anime review site, and giving people a true unbiased opinion, but that's after I get atuned to using Flash.
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 11:43 PM   #13
Reid
.red house.

Sounds good.

If you need some fodder reviews to start off your site give my a PM and I could write out a couple for you if you'd want.

This kinda of kills my aspirations of watching the rest of Wolf's Rain, though. I'll finish it and see what I think after I see the end of it.
Old Aug 6th, 2003, 05:03 AM   #14
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

Quote:
Originally posted by Hero

Get Backers, Naruto, Wolf's Rain...

I don't recommend Wolf's Rain. The animation is good, but the story is rather stupid. (Before any of you flame, opinions are things I'm entitled too)
Wolf's Rain is still pretty good to me, but I haven't seen beyond...uh...episode 9, so I shouldn't really say much.

Quote:
I personally like anime that moves me with the characters and if Naruto and Get Backers doesn't move you, nothing will, I'll tell you that much. The companionship between Amano Ginji and Midou Ban is catching, and the other characters each have originality. Akabane "Dr. Jackal" is a very good character because he's kind of like Magus from Chrono Trigger... Sometimes he's a good guy, other times he's an enemy.
Yay! I'm glad someone else finally saw GetBackers! I really enjoy this series, but it's the type of series which if you don't watch for a while, you kinda lose interest. But, both of the main characters are great, the story is interesting (though I don't know how they'll end it and there's a second season too. The manga is still running though).

Quote:
I barely saw Scryed recently, and I strongly recommend it.
Hm, I didn't like sCRYed much (character and story didn't appeal to me), but it just got released in the US if anyone is interested in watching it.

Quote:
Yeah the character design is really old school, but I like the fact that it had old school look but with new school animation techniques. I liked the concept of a character as rough as Kazuma. I hope they make a second season.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the character designs in sCRYed look similar to those in Gundam SEED? I swear they look alike...it has to be the same designer, right?

You Can Help

Old Aug 8th, 2003, 06:37 AM   #15
Reid
.red house.

Yeah, meryl. The Gundam SEED animation (mostly on the characters) looks exactly the same as that of Scryed.

I think it must be the same team.

I checked out the first episode and a bit of the manga of Getbackers as well and it looks pretty interesting, so I'll probably get into at some point. The only problem is that it looks really, really long.