Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » General Forums » Comics And Anime Forum

Old Apr 25th, 2003, 06:31 PM   #1
Bogart
Private Eye

Bogart is on a distinguished road
Would you import stuff from HK after SARS?

I was just asking myself if people used to import DVDs, merchandise, etc. from Japan, China, or Honk Kong, would import something in this moment, with SARS spreading around...
Bogart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 08:59 PM   #2
Pu the Owl
Useless Oracle™

Pu the Owl is on a distinguished road
I don't know... Some imports shops don't sell anymore merchandising coming from China or Hong Kong, so getting stuff is also becoming more and more difficult for those who still want to buy.

I wanted a gloomy bear, but I suppose I'll have to wait to get one *sighs*

https://www.kokuun.net/images/gloomy.jpg

Isn't it beautiful? I'll try to find something else instead, like a real bear, for example...
Pu the Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 02:45 AM   #3
Sleazy P Martini

Sleazy P Martini is on a distinguished road
My wife says they are offering nurses $100 an hour to come to Ontario to care for SARS patients. I guess some nurses up there have been walking out.
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 05:24 AM   #4
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

merylsilverburg is on a distinguished road
Okay, you know what? This is pissing me off and I'm sick and tired of hearing people say "Oh, Asians are bad, Asians are sick, the Asian stuff is crap" etc. Just because of this incident and everyone is against Asians.

To begin with, SARS is a mutant virus that could've been created anywhere. It only happened to be in Hong Kong and the people just came over to the US and spread it around. But they didn't realize that this was some new virus.

And I seriously doubt that by importing DVDs, goodies, or whatnot will cause you to get sick. But, it's not my place to say whether or not you should...it's your choice.

The only reason why I'm so angry is because lately, there has been some "anti-Asian" stuff going on in my town. My sister was sick a few weeks ago, not due to SARS but she just got a sore throat and that linked to a fever and then she was coughing. She goes into a store and she's standing in line behind two Americans. She coughs and they look behind at her and inch forward a little bit. Oh, they were trying to make it not obvious, but c'mon....she's not stupid.

At the restaurant where I work, many Asians come by and they're discussing stories about their incident with some people and the same things happen: they get weird looks, some people walk away quickly, people avoid them....

Ironically, if this virus was started in the US or something, it'll be totally acceptable and no one would say anything.

This is not to say that I don't understand the fear of people....yeah, it is scary about SARS and there's no vaccine/treatment available at the moment....I'm scared to death. But the thing is, everyone is acting as if Asians are just disgusting now. I don't appreciate this because I do not enjoy having filthy looks at me whenever I go into a store.

"Have a little priest" ~ Mrs. Lovett

"Grim Reaper, you could not get the women? What was the problem? Didn't you reap them with your grim reaping equipment?"

"I tried that but the women, they all know hopscotch" ~ Eddie Izzard

You Can Help

merylsilverburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 06:11 AM   #5
Pu the Owl
Useless Oracle™

Pu the Owl is on a distinguished road
I agree with most part of what meryl said in her post. Asian markets are ging to be affected by this whole question. Many people cancelled orders coming from Asian shops, many others are not going to buy stuff "Made in China" for the same reason.
This makes you wonder how comes that this time is China to suffer from all this, mainly... Asian products are sold all over the world and their prices are usually extremely low compared to the ones of Western products (we're speaking of China, Hong Kong, Taiwan and similar, Japan is apparently not involved), and now, with SARS (aguess what? a modified virus), their economy will be somewhat damaged, at least for the present moment.. hmmm... hmmm... coincidences.
Pu the Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 08:18 AM   #6
Vash

Vash is on a distinguished road
I wouldn't just to be 100% safe, but I don't think Asians are disgusting for it, nor is it there fault. Americans are going over there, catching it and the returning to America. That is how it is getting into the USA.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 01:02 PM   #7
ssjtrunks13
Results May Vary

ssjtrunks13 is on a distinguished road
I haven't imported stuff from anywhere but the news about SARS starting over there wouldn't keep me from doing it if I ever decided I wanted to.
ssjtrunks13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 02:34 PM   #8
ToxicUK
Pressure=Crumbling

ToxicUK is on a distinguished road
1 - Asians are really good people if you get to know them. If some Killer bug turns up there its not going to be deliberate - it just happened there so if people are gonna be racist at least dont make it the most obvious thing in the world - but I think its totally despicable. My workmates were making jokes about Asians yesterday and I walked out of the room in disgust.

2 - If everything is xhecked for the bug like through some scaner as they go through certain places then there would be no problem and I dont even have a problem in ordering from anywhere like that because the chances of actually catching SARS from a package is very low.

3 - There is some big idea that SARS came from outer space on a comet or something? Does anyone know if thats true or is there anything anyone can tell me about the origin of it because its kind of like my big question of the week.

Toxic - Force The World To Crumble
ToxicUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 05:54 PM   #9
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

Quote:
Originally posted by Fortune

I agree with most part of what meryl said in her post. Asian markets are ging to be affected by this whole question. Many people cancelled orders coming from Asian shops, many others are not going to buy stuff "Made in China" for the same reason.
This makes you wonder how comes that this time is China to suffer from all this, mainly... Asian products are sold all over the world and their prices are usually extremely low compared to the ones of Western products (we're speaking of China, Hong Kong, Taiwan and similar, Japan is apparently not involved), and now, with SARS (aguess what? a modified virus), their economy will be somewhat damaged, at least for the present moment.. hmmm... hmmm... coincidences.
Yes, now that you point it out Fortune, it does make sense a little. A modified virus...but why? Is it so that the people in the US will become frightened of importing stuff which causes American to produce more US made items to help the economy? If this is the case, then it's a dirty and low way of doing so. This will make me extremely angry...

Quote:
Originally posted by ToxicUK

1 - Asians are really good people if you get to know them. If some Killer bug turns up there its not going to be deliberate - it just happened there so if people are gonna be racist at least dont make it the most obvious thing in the world - but I think its totally despicable. My workmates were making jokes about Asians yesterday and I walked out of the room in disgust.
That's so nice, I'm happy to hear you did that. Not only are people making jokes about Asians, but at the restaurant where I work (it's a Chinese restaurant) not many Americans or Europeans are coming in anymore. People are trying to avoid Asian restaurants now, whether it's Thai food, Japanese food, Korean, or anything else. It's really bad for business and everyone's suffering from it.

Quote:
2 - If everything is xhecked for the bug like through some scaner as they go through certain places then there would be no problem and I dont even have a problem in ordering from anywhere like that because the chances of actually catching SARS from a package is very low.
Yes, I believe that too. This SARS is just more worse than a common cold...and colds are spread people to people, not packages or items or anything. But if people don't feel comfortable ordering or getting stuff from Asian countries, then that's fine, it's understandable. The sad thing is that people who don't believe that you can catch SARS from packages aren't able to order anymore goodies/CDs/DVDs from Asian countries for a while, like Fortune. And on Ebay, people are refusing to bid on stuff with the "Location" being in an Asian country. And I'm pretty sure that Asians living in the US won't be able to do the same, only because they're Asians. I want to sell an item on Ebay, but I'm afraid that people will back out once they learn that I'm an Asian seller.

Quote:
3 - There is some big idea that SARS came from outer space on a comet or something? Does anyone know if thats true or is there anything anyone can tell me about the origin of it because its kind of like my big question of the week.
Whoa, I never heard that before....outer space? Well, I don't know if anyone really knows the origin of SARS, but my dad read in Chinese newspapers that it did originate in Asia/Hong Kong. But then again, some say that it didn't and it only spread to Cantonese people who spread it around the US when they came over. And US papers say it originated in Asia. It's very complicated and no one knows for sure.

"Grim Reaper, you could not get the women? What was the problem? Didn't you reap them with your grim reaping equipment?"

You Can Help

Old Apr 26th, 2003, 11:24 PM   #10
Suzuki_Fanboy

Suzuki_Fanboy is on a distinguished road
<---- Doesn't import bootleg copies of anime from China anyways.
Suzuki_Fanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2003, 08:29 PM   #11
Preventer Wind

Preventer Wind is on a distinguished road
Quote:
To begin with, SARS is a mutant virus that could've been created anywhere. It only happened to be in Hong Kong and the people just came over to the US and spread it around. But they didn't realize that this was some new virus.
Totally right, it could have started anywhere but China happened to be the first place multiple cases were found. I don't know if the US has had a victim because I haven't paid all that much attention to it. I know some people are afraid to fly and go to Canada now but I wouldn't have a problem traveling or importing anything though. Heck, if plane tickets have gone down a lot I wouldn't mind flying over to China.

Quote:
Originally posted by merylsilverburg
Yes, I believe that too. This SARS is just more worse than a common cold...and colds are spread people to people, not packages or items or anything. But if people don't feel comfortable ordering or getting stuff from Asian countries, then that's fine, it's understandable. The sad thing is that people who don't believe that you can catch SARS from packages aren't able to order anymore goodies/CDs/DVDs from Asian countries for a while, like Fortune. And on Ebay, people are refusing to bid on stuff with the "Location" being in an Asian country. And I'm pretty sure that Asians living in the US won't be able to do the same, only because they're Asians. I want to sell an item on Ebay, but I'm afraid that people will back out once they learn that I'm an Asian seller
I think the problem with it is that it has the highest known deathrate among discovered viruses (At least it was). Though there haven't been tons of cases it could slowly work up and up and up.

Quote:
My wife says they are offering nurses $100 an hour to come to Ontario to care for SARS patients. I guess some nurses up there have been walking out.
WOW! That's a lot of money. She could make $4,000.00 a week (normal shift work without taxes) and that's $208,000.00 a year! I would do it if I was a nurse.

I know that on Tuesday the Toronto Blue Jays are selling tickets for onlt $1.00. I guess some company bought all the tickets and are reselling them to get people to come to their games. Though their attendance has not slipped any since the outbreak.

Quote:
Originally posted by Fortune
I would rather not talk about any conspiracies....but it is possible. And it would be totally wrong if it was true. Maybe the US has a cure and they want to go in with it to show how humane they are and that they are the most advanced country in the world. Or maybe they want Americans to start buying more domestic things. Maybe it was an Iraqi attack? I don't believe in any of them...but it is still a possibility.

Quote:
Ironically, if this virus was started in the US or something, it'll be totally acceptable and no one would say anything.
True. The US does have a nasty problem with STDs...though not a lot of people realize this. But I think the US has had it's share of epidemics in the past and they were criticized.

"Know thy enemy and know thy self,"
"Find naught to fear in 100 battles."
"Know not thy enemy, but know thy self,"
"Find victory and defeat in equal measure"
"Know thy enemy, but know not thy self,"
"Find defeat in every battle."

Sun Tzu
Preventer Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2003, 02:59 PM   #12
ToxicUK
Pressure=Crumbling

Exclamation

Quote:
Yes, now that you point it out Fortune, it does make sense a little. A modified virus...but why? Is it so that the people in the US will become frightened of importing stuff which causes American to produce more US made items to help the economy? If this is the case, then it's a dirty and low way of doing so. This will make me extremely angry...
IT MAKES ME REALLY ANGRY AS WELL - why would they do that?

Quote:
That's so nice, I'm happy to hear you did that. Not only are people making jokes about Asians, but at the restaurant where I work (it's a Chinese restaurant) not many Americans or Europeans are coming in anymore. People are trying to avoid Asian restaurants now, whether it's Thai food, Japanese food, Korean, or anything else. It's really bad for business and everyone's suffering from it.
This is another thing thats also downright outrageous. I have an indian down the road and ive noticed that about 1/2 the people that used to be regulars dont turn up and I think why do they do that? Its just racist. and i waish i could do something to help.

Quote:
Yes, I believe that too. This SARS is just more worse than a common cold...and colds are spread people to people, not packages or items or anything. But if people don't feel comfortable ordering or getting stuff from Asian countries, then that's fine, it's understandable. The sad thing is that people who don't believe that you can catch SARS from packages aren't able to order anymore goodies/CDs/DVDs from Asian countries for a while, like Fortune. And on Ebay, people are refusing to bid on stuff with the "Location" being in an Asian country. And I'm pretty sure that Asians living in the US won't be able to do the same, only because they're Asians. I want to sell an item on Ebay, but I'm afraid that people will back out once they learn that I'm an Asian seller.
Oh man , does this totally suck? I mean for goodness sake - if everything was done right in the first place for preventive measures we wouldnt even have the problem...

Quote:
Whoa, I never heard that before....outer space? Well, I don't know if anyone really knows the origin of SARS, but my dad read in Chinese newspapers that it did originate in Asia/Hong Kong. But then again, some say that it didn't and it only spread to Cantonese people who spread it around the US when they came over. And US papers say it originated in Asia. It's very complicated and no one knows for sure.
Hmm i never heard that stuff about spreading it to Cantonese people form Hong Kong. But my statement about the space thing hasnt been true it was just something I heard and thought thats why this whole thing could have happened?! But its a long shot anayways...

Old Apr 30th, 2003, 07:04 AM   #13
Hadoken

Hadoken is on a distinguished road
Asian Pride, meryl!
I know what you mean about the people acting all paranoid about SARS. The store which my mother owns has seen a slight decrease in customers recently, but I honestly dont think that the majority of them have even thought about having a problem with imported goods. And hopefully that thought wont ever cross their mind's. But it seems everyone's talking about it in the asian community, and not to say SARS isnt a serious topic, because it is. I'm just getting a little tired of people speculating this and that and not even knowing the proper facts. And this goes for everyone, asian, american, whatever. They shouldnt be spreading rumors that they've heard and are not completely sure of, it just causes more people to spread crap around. I seriously hate it whenever someone thinks they know what's going on, and then tries to explain it to a group of people, when all their doing is just causing them to panic. I mean, damn, if their gonna explain something, they should at least know their facts. But you know what? I think i'm gonna walk around and pretend to cough, just to see what people do...

edit: btw guys, the little asian smiley doesnt work! It turns out like this
Hadoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 01:26 PM   #14
ToxicUK
Pressure=Crumbling

very true, SARS is a very important topic and I get what youre saying there.

Old May 1st, 2003, 09:18 PM   #15
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

Quote:
Originally posted by Hadoken

Asian Pride, meryl!
I know what you mean about the people acting all paranoid about SARS. The store which my mother owns has seen a slight decrease in customers recently, but I honestly dont think that the majority of them have even thought about having a problem with imported goods. And hopefully that thought wont ever cross their mind's. But it seems everyone's talking about it in the asian community, and not to say SARS isnt a serious topic, because it is. I'm just getting a little tired of people speculating this and that and not even knowing the proper facts. And this goes for everyone, asian, american, whatever. They shouldnt be spreading rumors that they've heard and are not completely sure of, it just causes more people to spread crap around. I seriously hate it whenever someone thinks they know what's going on, and then tries to explain it to a group of people, when all their doing is just causing them to panic. I mean, damn, if their gonna explain something, they should at least know their facts. But you know what? I think i'm gonna walk around and pretend to cough, just to see what people do...

edit: btw guys, the little asian smiley doesnt work! It turns out like this
You're right. It's not just Americans who are spreading around stuff, it's also Asians. Like recently, this Asian professor stopped by the restaurant to warn my mother and sister about SARS and what they can do to prevent it. She was so completely unreasonable; telling us to wash our hands after handling every money, telling us to stand at least a foot away from a person who came back from Hong Kong...I mean, c'mon! Running a restaurant is frantic; we don't have time to "wash our hands" everytime after handling money! And what would people think if we did that? I mean, we're Asians too, so why do we have to make our own race feel inferior? It is an important topic and I know why people are afraid, but there's no reason to shut everyone out or forget about importing stuff just because of it. And I also heard that SARS is not likely to be spread anymore in the US now. So, that's some good news.

You Can Help

Old May 5th, 2003, 02:26 PM   #16
Suzuki_Fanboy

Only like 2% of the people who get SARS die from it. Or so they said on South Park
Old May 5th, 2003, 05:38 PM   #17
Preventer Wind

Preventer Wind is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Suzuki_Fanboy
Only like 2% of the people who get SARS die from it. Or so they said on South Park
Educational Progamming at it's finest

I heard that it was like 35%..... but that was at the start of the outbreak.

"Know thy enemy and know thy self,"
"Find naught to fear in 100 battles."
"Know not thy enemy, but know thy self,"
"Find victory and defeat in equal measure"
"Know thy enemy, but know not thy self,"
"Find defeat in every battle."

Sun Tzu
Preventer Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2003, 08:52 PM   #18
Suzuki_Fanboy

Meh, I didn't believe it. I just wanted to make a reference to South Park

"Hey, Brovlovski's a good cop!"
Old May 6th, 2003, 12:01 AM   #19
DSgamer
here and there

DSgamer is on a distinguished road
yo suzuki, i thought that only 2% of ppl w/ it died too. but i think its actually 35% (omg, a TV show lied!!)