Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » General Forums » General Chat

Old Jun 10th, 2006, 11:12 AM   #1
Zebraman

Zebraman is on a distinguished road
The World Cup 2006 Thread

So, who do you think will win?
Zebraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 11:16 AM   #2
Redpyramidhead
pazparacolombia

Redpyramidhead is on a distinguished road
Im gonna give it a few before I start predicting who's gonna win.

_RED_ stuff

"..loathsome laughing, mixed with such a cry as no man has heard save for in the phlegathon of unrelatable nightmares; a cry wherein reverberated the horror and anguish of a haunted lifetime packed into one atrocious moment..."
Redpyramidhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 11:26 AM   #3
Zebraman

Zebraman is on a distinguished road
Bookmakers say it is likely to have a Brasil-Italy final. I don't agree with this prediction though.

Last edited by Zebraman; Jun 10th, 2006 at 11:31 AM..
Zebraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 11:37 AM   #4
Pu the Owl
Useless Oracle™

Pu the Owl is on a distinguished road
It'd be nice to have Ghana as a finalist. At least would be different from other world cups... A final with Brazil? Yeah, maybe, but it's starting to be boring
Pu the Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 12:37 PM   #5
Faile
ys.

Faile is on a distinguished road
England! Please! No more disappointment!

We had a sleepy game in the sunshine today which we won unconvincingly. I really hope we do well, as the football team is one of those strange things that stirs some sort of national pride within me. Certainly nothing else does. I think Brazil, Germany, Italy and Argentina are all likely teams, maybe Holland, but I hope England. We have a good enough team...

www.catherineandtheowl.com

purr. miaow. hiss.
Faile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 03:33 PM   #6
Redpyramidhead
pazparacolombia

Expect to be suprised by the U.S. again.

_RED_ stuff

"..loathsome laughing, mixed with such a cry as no man has heard save for in the phlegathon of unrelatable nightmares; a cry wherein reverberated the horror and anguish of a haunted lifetime packed into one atrocious moment..."
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 05:00 PM   #7
Hylas
Now or Never

Hylas is on a distinguished road
Germany or Brazil. Holland maybe
Hylas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 05:27 PM   #8
happy_doughnut
just a rolling stone

happy_doughnut is on a distinguished road
Angry

I was going to start this thread since I know there are a few soccer fans here, which is great.

I know Brasil is going to be either in the final or semifinals for sure. But, just as Panuru said, thats . . . BORING! They always win. Pfft. Get out already. But then again, how can they not win when they have such a superstar team? Eesh. One of their best players isn't even in the starting line-up!--that's how sickly their talent is. I guess it's just that when you see them playing the final over and over again, and coincidentally winning it over and over again as well, it gets boring and dull.

My favorite for this year is the same: Italy. Unfortunately, even though this is my favorite team, it seems to me that Italy is becoming a thing of the past. They have some really great players, but they heavily rely on their veterans, who are older and thus not so fast anymore, especially when compared to other teams who have an abundance of young energy. Also, I was kinda disappointed with how they played in the Euro Cup (if that's what it's called); it was too stale. Of course Italy will always be one of the giants in the World Cup games, but it just seems to me like they are losing their spark and are letting their glory reside in the past instead of going forward, trying to conquer more.

All in all, I hope they get far this year.

Spain is also one that I like. Spain is such an under-achiever, though! They have such a great team and they start off so prominently, but soon after, their hopes and passion just seems to die down and poof--out they go. What's wrong with them?!

As for the games so far, I have been disappointed with Argentina and England. Argentina got cocky and they almost lost, plus their gameplay was crap. England seemed sleepy throughout most of the game; they really could have done much more.

I was impressed, though, by Germany. Dang. Talk about having good strikers. I believe they will get far.

I'm looking forward to Mexico's game tomorrow. Mexico is also a favorite of mine, but yea right. But seriously--I don't know if anyone heard about the golie's dad passing away on Thursday, I believe. How horrible. I heard that he (the goalie) flew out to Mexico to attend the funeral and that now he is back in Germany, ready to play. I think this is a devastating situation though. This will either make Mexico go downhill, since their goalie is key in their team, or give them an otherwise unforseen boost to work harder. We will see tomorrow, I guess.

For me, in the semifinals I expect to see: Brasil, Germany, Argentina, and Switzerland.

Italy, France, England, and the Netherlands might are close seconds, I think.

PS: I hope the US gets kicked out in the round of 16.
happy_doughnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2006, 09:51 AM   #9
Redpyramidhead
pazparacolombia

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_doughnut

PS: I hope the US gets kicked out in the round of 16.
How can you say that?! lalala! i cant hear you!

_RED_ stuff

Old Jun 11th, 2006, 11:00 AM   #10
Pu the Owl
Useless Oracle™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redpyramidhead
How can you say that?! lalala! i cant hear you!

You know you can hear her
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 05:09 PM   #11
Hylas
Now or Never

Quote:
Expect to be suprised by the U.S. again.

_RED_ stuff
A very brilliant start! Congrats US
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 05:59 PM   #12
tempted

tempted is on a distinguished road
Okee so i haven't been following all the agmes, just trying to see the resulsts, but i really don't wan to see Brasil win again, it's just got old...so i would like to see either Argentina or France wining...and no, i'm not putting too much faith on Portugal...i mean i wish they will do good, but i don't really think they will..they just had a really tough time beating Angola, and Angola is the 1st time they're playing in the WC...i'm not saying they're weak..but i don't know..i guess i would expect more from my country's team than a 1-0 result. but oh well at least we won't.
tempted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 06:37 PM   #13
Frozen
Dante May Cry

Frozen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylas

lol brilliant indeed. Although I am surprised on how much progress the US soccer team has made, how good they've become, they are still no World Cup winner caliber.

My favorite teams are Italy, Spain and Germany. I have wanted Germany to win for the last 2 World Cups but they have sucked. And I won't lie, it was my home for 2 years and I love that country and their people, so I really hope they win this one. It is really painful to have left and not have had the chance of assisting to even one match.

They are my first candidate, secondly I would like Spain to win and thirdly Italy, which I have always loved as well.

And although I also love Brazilians and they are undeniably the GODS of soccer, it is time for them to lose the damn cup. I don't see it as boring, I just see that it is still going to take 8 years from now for any team to be at their level of cup winning as long as that team wins both world cups (this and the next one)

Deutchsland Bundesrepublik all the way.

Last edited by Frozen; Jun 12th, 2006 at 06:39 PM..
Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 09:50 AM   #14
Redpyramidhead
pazparacolombia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylas
Between you and mena I swear... you guys are gonna make me lose my cool Not to mention mena's mocking text messages

Actually. I am not surprised the Czechs won. They are one of the biggest up and coming teams in the world right now and they got a lot of young blood. The U.S. will fair better against Italy (yes they will believe it) and Ghana. My prediction is that we will be wildcarded into the next round like in '94, but unlike '94, we are gonna beat whoever we face in that situation.

Btw, thanks Frozen for recognizing talent when you see it, though.
And yes, we must face the fact that Brasil are the GODS of futbol whether we like it or not

Too bad Colombia's team has been a no show the past two world cups. They were the best in South America besides Brasil in the late 90s judgin from South American Cup victories including the championship one year. When was that? All I remember is shouting and jumping outside with my dad "GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAALLLLL" "COLOOOOOOMBIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Those were the days of Colombian soccer. I remember one time in the 90s they beat Argentina in an extremely important game like 6-0 and hearing about people crying and having heart attacks like pussies in Argentina. BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

OK, my work is done here. Feel free to mock my advocacy of the US team if you like. I know the world hates the US and rightfully so, but you don't have to take it out on our team. I have nothing but respect for those guys.

OK, back to class.

PEACE

_RED_ stuff

Old Jun 13th, 2006, 12:01 PM   #15
Bogart
Private Eye

Bogart is on a distinguished road
Oh Red, Hylas was just joking, and in any case, this is part of football! In any case, USA's group seems one of the most fun so far... can't wait until the next round. To be honest, USA seems the weakest team in the group (Ghana wasn't bad), but any team could lose one match.

Last edited by Bogart; Jun 13th, 2006 at 12:05 PM..
Bogart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 02:04 PM   #16
Pu the Owl
Useless Oracle™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogart
Oh Red, Hylas was just joking, and in any case, this is part of football! In any case, USA's group seems one of the most fun so far... can't wait until the next round. To be honest, USA seems the weakest team in the group (Ghana wasn't bad), but any team could lose one match.
I agree that any team can lose a match... but 3-0?! That means there's something wrong
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 01:43 PM   #17
Hylas
Now or Never

Brazil was boring yesterday. But that's typical them: they play some awful match, then they win the world cup. BTW, what happened to Ronaldo? He's just terrible now. What's wrong with him?
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 02:11 PM   #18
Pu the Owl
Useless Oracle™

Many matches won by Brazil were actually very boring. Most of the time they have a couple of brilliant players doing all the hard work. Like it happened yesterday. And I don't know about Ronaldo, he doesn't look well.
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 05:21 AM   #19
happy_doughnut
just a rolling stone

happy_doughnut is on a distinguished road
Angry

Quote:
The U.S. will fair better against Italy (yes they will believe it) and Ghana.
Okay, everyone--one, two, three: HAW HAW HAW!!

That's funny, Red. Good joke.

They will lose against Italy and they will lost against Ghana. Just watch.

Why? Because they suck. The US sucks at soccer and just about any other sport. They need to stick to golf and *American* football.

I can't believe they lost 3-0, though. I mean, even for them--come on!

Yeah, the Czech's are good, but the US did absolutely nothing. They were dominated for the entire game. Even *I* expected more from them than that.

But, I do like their blue uniforms, though. It's actually quite nice. I wonder if it was their alternate one, though, because I remember them wearing a boring white one. They should stick to this one; it looks nice.

They play Italy on Saturday and of course they're gonna lose. I actually have a bet going on for this one, so it shall be fun.

And yeah, the Brazil game sucked. It was so boring! If they're going to win the Cup they should at least give us some good and exciting games!

Oh, and wtf happened to Ukraine?? Geez. Horrible game for them. I do wonder if this is a sign that Spain will do better this year, though.

Oh! Did anyone see the little boy that came out on-screen when they scored the first goal against Ghana? Aww. It made my heart melt.

Anyways, it's on on Saturday! Go Italia!!

Maybe I should shut up before Bushy comes to get me for accusing me of being an unpatriotic terrorist.
happy_doughnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 10:17 AM   #20
Redpyramidhead
pazparacolombia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogart
Oh Red, Hylas was just joking, and in any case, this is part of football!
Yeah... and guess what? I was joking, too.

Quote:
But, I do like their blue uniforms, though. It's actually quite nice.
Now, that's just plain evil.

Oh and I doubt Bush even knows the world cup is even going on.

Yeah, I agree, the US played like shit on Monday. I didn't actually see the game but my dad was tellin me just how bad it was

All that aside, though, I still would like to mention the US teams brilliant performance in 2002. Don't even deny it. They EARNED the worlds' respect that year!

I just hope they don't lose it

At any rate, my rooting for my country's team will always be an unpopular opinion, but I really don't care. In any other country across the world, people would be all for such a notion and even understand. Oh, but look its the US and everybody hates us (which I can totally understand,) but don't take it out on our futbol team.

_RED_ stuff

Last edited by Redpyramidhead; Jun 15th, 2006 at 10:27 AM..