Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Mark Forums Read   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » Gaming Forums » RPG Forum

Old Aug 27th, 2003, 07:58 PM   #1
happy_doughnut
just a rolling stone

happy_doughnut is on a distinguished road
Angry Disgaea: Hour of Darkness

Being an SRPG, I'm not sure where it would be most convenient to place this, so if the thread feels inproper here, please move it.

Anyway, has anyone heard of this game? From what I've read, this game is supposed to be even better than FF Tactics.

Apparently Disgaea is everything one could want: The game features over 100 classes of characters and monsters that you can ally with. Add to that multiple endings, humor, max level of 9,999, and Demon Penguins calling you "dood", and I think we have ourselves a winner!

Unfortunately, this game seems to be "unheard of", since most retail stores seem to not carry the title. Since this game isn't well known to the general gaming public, many electronic retail stores won't have large inventories . However, being published by Atlas, many RPG fans seem to have been anticipating this game, so I deem the few copies that are available won't last very long.

Anyway, I for sure want one! Now all I need is to find a copy.

I'll leave ya with some links, and then you can share your thoughts.

Crapstappo review

Review of someone who owns it.
happy_doughnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2003, 05:32 AM   #2
kupoartist
.illustrated.thingy.

kupoartist is on a distinguished road
IGN reviewed it as well and gave it a very nice 92%. I'd love to play this game (i like the graphical style as well... it seems almost SaGa Frontier 2 in style, just darker), but being European means that Import is going to be just about my only option... to get a game almost no-one alledgedly stocks.

The same goes for Magic Pengel: The Color Quest. Why is it that the moment it looks like an intersting game is finally coming out for the PS2, Europe is never going to get it.
kupoartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2003, 09:44 AM   #3
XXAVIERR
Stick Figure Theatre

XXAVIERR is on a distinguished road
I finally had a chance to go out and buy this game last night. When I first started to play this game, it almost seemed to be more of a kid's game than anything else. However, after getting into the game for about 30 minutes, I saw the depth that this game actually has. It was well worth the money spent on it. The most interesting thing about this game is the "Assembly" where you can actually go in and create your own party members. You can create humans, humanoids, and monsters. You are limited to what level party member you create by "mana" which is needed to make these new players. I would have to say that this game is better than FFT, simply because of the different levels of this game that there are to play on. The item world is also an interesting aspect to this game. To anybody that likes RPG's........ go get this game if you haven't already.
XXAVIERR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24th, 2003, 10:57 PM   #4
Preventer Wind

Preventer Wind is on a distinguished road
I finally was able to rent the game on Sunday. I didn't start playing it till Tuesday though. But right now I have a little over 9 hours invested into the game. In short it's the best Strategy RPG I've ever played.

You can create your own party members with a feature called Dark Assembly. There are a lot of classes to choose from and you can create monsters as well. How good these characters are depends on how much mana you have (You get mana for defeating enemies). There is a lot more to creating members but if you really want to know then play the game.

Another feature in the Dark Assembly is a voting system. You can choose to vote on what kind of items are in the shops, how good these items are (price) and how difficult the bad guys are. You propose the issue and a bunch of Senatorial Demons vote on the issue. You can bribe the Senators with items to get them to like you so they vote for your proposal. If it still gets rejected then you can choose to persuade them by force by trying to kill all of them (Which is impossible at the start of the game because the Senators are light years ahead of you).

You can level up your items in a place called Item World. You select an item you want leveled up and you go inside the weapon and go through 10 stages of battles. How difficult the battles are depends on how good the weapon is.

The battle system is a lot like Final Fantasy Tactics. I wont go in much here but the battles go at a faster pace then in FFT. You can do combos and there are sphere grids that if you stand on certain colored squares in effects certain stats (extra experience, invincibility etc.) I don't really like the spheres that much but it really doesn't hurt that much (Other then make some stages look like a bowl of fruit loops)

The only real complaint I have with the game is one major bug that occurs when trying to level up weapons in the Item World. The stages are generated randomly so sometimes you get an island off in space with a bad guy or a warp point that you can't reach. Obviously you can see the problem there. The game presents itself as a little kiddy but I actually think it helps the storyline. But when Hell is the currency you know it isn't just for kids.

I really really really like this game and will be buying soon after I have to return it to the video store.

"Know thy enemy and know thy self,"
"Find naught to fear in 100 battles."
"Know not thy enemy, but know thy self,"
"Find victory and defeat in equal measure"
"Know thy enemy, but know not thy self,"
"Find defeat in every battle."

Sun Tzu
Preventer Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2003, 08:49 AM   #5
XXAVIERR
Stick Figure Theatre

The "one major bug" that you were talking about Preventer actually isn't one. Once you get a high enough level on the mages, you can reach these "islands off in space" with their magic and if that doesn't work you can throw one of your memebers over to it. Also, some of the geo panels will "warp" you to different places on the board. I have to agree with you that this is the best RPG I've ever played. I'm not sure how many hours I've put into it so far. I went through the first four stages and started to create some new characters that were unlocked and I've been going back through from the start with these new characters to level them up. The key to the geo panels is to get them all changed to the same color which builds up your bonus level. This gives you more items and money when you finish the stage.

Conformity is a weak minded man's way of thinking.
Old Sep 25th, 2003, 10:24 PM   #6
Preventer Wind

Preventer Wind is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The "one major bug" that you were talking about Preventer actually isn't one. Once you get a high enough level on the mages, you can reach these "islands off in space" with their magic and if that doesn't work you can throw one of your memebers over to it. Also, some of the geo panels will "warp" you to different places on the board.
I know that. But sometimes you can't throw people far enough. And my mages are weak right now (Flonne takes for ever to level up and since she is so weak I can't get enough mana to transmigrate her).

I have found an easy way to level up characters. Go to Jottunheim - Terrible Cold (The place where every square but one is an invincible square) Have your characters throw all the bad guys into to each other to make 1 or 2 super bad guys. Have a character get the sphere and throw it to the square in front of the green square. Have that character walk over to the green square and lift up the sphere. Have your other characters attack (Use specials because the bad guys always counter and take away at least 150 points of damage) the super bad guys then when you are all done attacking have the character that is holding up the sphere drop down on a red square right next to him. I've leveled my guys up quickly doing this. The only problem is that Flonne takes away 0 damage on the bad guys so she is no good.

"Know thy enemy and know thy self,"
"Find naught to fear in 100 battles."
"Know not thy enemy, but know thy self,"
"Find victory and defeat in equal measure"
"Know thy enemy, but know not thy self,"
"Find defeat in every battle."

Sun Tzu
Preventer Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2003, 08:50 AM   #7
XXAVIERR
Stick Figure Theatre

Flonne is the only character on the game that I don't use. She is worthless to me. Maybe if I start going back through the levels from the beginning, I might start using her to get her leveled up. Right now I'm trying to build up my mana go I can create some of the high level monsters. The bad thing about this is that just to create a monster with a low rating it takes about 1,000 mana. I was playing this game last night and got to a stage where the enemies I had to fight were spoofs of the Power Rangers. I couldn't help but laugh when I saw them come out on the screen.

Old Sep 26th, 2003, 01:17 PM   #8
XXAVIERR
Stick Figure Theatre

To anybody that has played this game. Has anyone used the "Transmigration" option for their characters? If so, does it actually help in leveling up your characters? I didn't see where it would help. I don't really understand the purpose in having this.

Old Sep 26th, 2003, 04:25 PM   #9
Nelo Angelo
Victory is Mine!

Nelo Angelo is on a distinguished road
Transmigration doesn't help your levels but their stats.

They grow faster I believe.

Oh, and for monsters that are too far for spels and guns, use the Dark Cannon(Scout spell, get it at level 1)

By the way, this game > you
Nelo Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2003, 04:41 PM   #10
XXAVIERR
Stick Figure Theatre

I didn't literally mean their "level" when I asked that question. I meant their level of strenght and other characteristics and yes they do level up faster when you transmigrate, but you go all the way back down to "Level 1" of the character and have to build his/her/it's strenth, defense, HP and everything else back up. I was asking if there were any other advantages besides what it tells you in the tutorial.

Old Oct 12th, 2003, 08:47 AM   #11
ssjtrunks13
Results May Vary

ssjtrunks13 is on a distinguished road
Wow, this sounds a lot better than I thought. I saw some video on it yesterday and I was amazed at the amount of damage you could potentially do. I saw the game at an electronics boutique around here, I'll definately start thinking about getting this.
ssjtrunks13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2003, 03:13 PM   #12
luminis_knight

luminis_knight is on a distinguished road
the reason...

why the game is hardly heard of is becease its a limited edition...oh i hope they make a part 2...i really loved that game
any way whut was your ending

Disgaea is a great game to play doesnt it have the coolest moves

excuse me... does anyone know if there going to make a disgaea 2???
luminis_knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2003, 03:15 PM   #13
XXAVIERR
Stick Figure Theatre

I was kind of let down with my ending. The Dark Adonis(Mid-Boss) told Laharl that if I would have spared the Seraph's life, Flonne would have been brought back to life. Once Laharl found this out, he gave up his own life to bring Flonne back to life. WEAK!!!

Old Nov 13th, 2003, 03:18 PM   #14
luminis_knight

luminis_knight is on a distinguished road
oh

hey i had the same ending!

oh yeah well it really help besides making you stronger that your previous class level but that about...the ? 4 me is how the hell do you get your level in the thousands by that time dont you think you would be board of the game already??? plz reply
luminis_knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2004, 10:18 PM   #15
DarkJacob

DarkJacob is on a distinguished road
Ill be buying it when it comes out in australia
Well i cant get enough of s-rpgs been playing shining force 3
Cant walt till disgaea comes too australia
DarkJacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 10:05 AM   #16
kupoartist
.illustrated.thingy.

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkJacob Ill be buying it when it comes out in australia
Well i cant get enough of s-rpgs been playing shining force 3
Cant walt till disgaea comes too australia
are there any details on a Australian / European release? the impression I get is that we're not getting this (very interesting and exciting) game. Its been an age since it was originally released in the US...
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 03:25 PM   #17
Nelo Angelo
Victory is Mine!

Nelo Angelo is on a distinguished road
I think it's coming in Europe in May.

Not sure about Australia though.
Nelo Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 03:27 PM   #18
XXAVIERR
Stick Figure Theatre

-knocks the dust off thread and looks inside-

DarkJacob, could you not order this game online from somewhere in the States?

Old Mar 31st, 2004, 03:52 PM   #19
kupoartist
.illustrated.thingy.

Quote:
Originally posted by Nelo Angelo
I think it's coming in Europe in May.

Not sure about Australia though.
ah yes:
https://uk.playstation.com/news/newsS...S&linktype=SSL

the major e-tailers haven't caught on yet though... an Australian release will follow, in theory. Square-Enix, for instance, localises games for Australiasia in Europe, because they're stuck with PAL rather than NTSC....