Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » Gaming Forums » Action And Adventure

Old Apr 1st, 2003, 04:31 AM   #1
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

merylsilverburg is on a distinguished road
Smile Soul Calibur II (Japanese version)

Hey everyone. I went out and bought the Japanese version of Soul Calibur 2 today and it's pretty great. There are some minor flaws, but hopefully they'll fix it for the US version (coming out in August, right?).

Graphics: They're nice...the enviroments are detailed: smoke, wind, lighting, dust, etc. The "Ring Out" concept is still in, but there are now some walls and half-closed enviroments which you can use to your advantage. Overall, it's like Soul Calibur, but much more improved.

Characters: I'm not sure if they'll change it for the US version, but the Japanese version had these following characters: (Already unlocked)
Talim: Young, cute Egyptian(?) girl using two small swords on each hand. Reminds me of Seung Mina..
Raphael Sorel: A French guy, who uses a fencing technique. Pretty slow character, might take some time to get used to.
Hong Yun Sung: Apparently Thailand (doesn't look like it!) and uses a fighting style similar to Hwaong(sp?) from Soul Blade and Soul Calibur.
Cassandra Alexandra: Yup, no more Sophitia (at least I don't think), but instead her daughter. She has all the similar moves like her mother...I see no changes except for a few different moves.
Heishiro Mitsurugi: The Japanese samurai is back with the Tenpu-Kosai-Ryu Kai fighting style....not too many changes from Soul Calibur. I see only a few new moves, but not much (I'll have to practice and see).
Taki: The swift female ninja with the Musou-Battou-Ryu fighting style..like Mitsurugi, not much changes.
Voldo: The flexible Italian man is here once again and still as quick as ever. Not many changes seen...
Nightmare: The Devil knight is still around and still has the Soul Blade sword...again, not much changes except for a bit increase in strength.
Astaroth: The Devil executioner and his large ax is also here...he seems a bit quicker than in Soul Calibur.
Ivy Valentine: She's back along with ther Ivy Blade...somehow she seems slower in the sequel than in Soul Calibur.
Kilik: Much older than in Soul Calibur, but his fighting style seems to have stayed the same with the exception of a few new throws.
Xianghua: Like Kilik, she's much older now and her fighting style seems to have changed a bit. She's now the second-fastest character in SC2, IMO.
Maxi: The Li-Long replacement is...back. O_o;;; The ones who've played SC would understand why I'm confused. Anyway, not much changes seen.
Necrid: Interesting new character. He looks like The Hulk in a very strange way...his fighting style is all of the characters...almost like Edge Master/Inferno from SC.
Heihachi: A great addition! He's quick (much, MUCH quicker than in Tekken) and he's quite powerful even without a weapon.

There are 5 more hidden characters and I've yet to discover a way to unlock them (since it's in Japanese and I'm having a hard time).

The disappointment in this game is that it seems to be a "sequel" but not really. It's seems more like a game for the PS2 owners who weren't able to play Soul Calibur on the Dreamcast. Which is why there seems to be lack of new moves for the older characters.

New Additions: You're able to buy weapons now! Like in Soul Calibur, the Weapon Mode has been improved and now, you earn gold and experience points each time you complete a Mission. There seems to be a lot of weapons to get for each character, so you'll be spending a lot of time on the map.

Other than these, the Arcade, VS, Survival, Time Attack, etc. are still there...along with an "Extra Room" where you can unlock extra modes (like "Extra Arcade" and "Extra Versus"...the only 2 I've unlocked so far). The Museum and Collection are also back...and the Profiles are back too...which you'll be able to check out character profiles, stages, voices as you unlock them.

The Flaws: Not very many, but the only problem I've found are some "glitching" errors...like if a character is getting knocked down near a wall, the foot would go in. Or if a character's upper part of the body is over the edge, the feet would sort of just fall straight through the arena floor. Hopefully some of these will be fixed for the US version.

That's about it. I'm having a hard time getting through "Weapon Mode" so I'll have to wait for the US version to check it out fully. It's a great game though and I hope my "little" review will help some people out.

"Have a little priest" ~ Mrs. Lovett

"Grim Reaper, you could not get the women? What was the problem? Didn't you reap them with your grim reaping equipment?"

"I tried that but the women, they all know hopscotch" ~ Eddie Izzard

You Can Help

merylsilverburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 04:42 AM   #2
Beretta55
Reached for the sky

Beretta55 is on a distinguished road
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! i envy you! you get to play this game! before it release's in the state's. im going to go in my room to cry now
jk

but seriously i cant wait to play this game. im going to get the GC version of course (link!) i cant wait to play as Hwaong in this game. he was my favirote character next to maxi and kilik in soul caliber. or is he not in this one? i hope he is.
but im going to get this game as soon as it release's. but when i do my money will be gone so...........yeah. but again i envy you!.......*cries*
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 04:56 AM   #3
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

Quote:
Originally posted by Beretta55

but seriously i cant wait to play this game. im going to get the GC version of course (link!) i cant wait to play as Hwaong in this game. he was my favirote character next to maxi and kilik in soul caliber. or is he not in this one? i hope he is.
I'm not sure if Hwoarng (I must find out how to spell his name! ) is in SC2. He might be one of the hidden characters...I have to find out.

"Grim Reaper, you could not get the women? What was the problem? Didn't you reap them with your grim reaping equipment?"

You Can Help

Old Apr 1st, 2003, 12:36 PM   #4
Infernal Mass
pariah

Infernal Mass is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

i like this game already and haven't even played it yet.

DigiMortal
- thanks for the review Meryl.
Infernal Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 01:02 PM   #5
Vic Viper
Nero Must Die !

Vic Viper is on a distinguished road
awesome.

thanks for the review.

Vic Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 08:11 PM   #6
Infernal Mass
pariah

Infernal Mass is on a distinguished road
Meryl is kewl. > <

But too bad she didn't buy me a copy...that would've been even 10% kewlR.

DigiMortal
- *bling*

Infernal Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 06:40 AM   #7
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

Quote:
Originally posted by DigiMortal

Meryl is kewl. > <

But too bad she didn't buy me a copy...that would've been even 10% kewlR.

DigiMortal
- *bling*
Send me $76.00 and I'll get it for ya. (Seriously, it is sold for $76.00...maybe because it's an import in the US...so they raised the price a bit).

Thanks for the compliment and I'm glad my review helped a little. ^_^

However, there are some things I have to change in my review:

Cassandra isn't Sophitia's daughter, she's actually the younger sister. Sorry for any confusion...^^;;;

I believe there are some new moves for the old characters (Mitsurugi, Taki, etc.) because I tried Practice Mode with Ivy and found out some cool new Throw moves.

I think I've found out who the hidden characters are and Beretta, to answer your question, Hworang doesn't seem to be one. Sorry, man.

You Can Help

Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 07:11 AM   #8
Beretta55
Reached for the sky

Beretta55 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by merylsilverburg

Send me $76.00 and I'll get it for ya. (Seriously, it is sold for $76.00...maybe because it's an import in the US...so they raised the price a bit).

Thanks for the compliment and I'm glad my review helped a little. ^_^

However, there are some things I have to change in my review:

Cassandra isn't Sophitia's daughter, she's actually the younger sister. Sorry for any confusion...^^;;;

I believe there are some new moves for the old characters (Mitsurugi, Taki, etc.) because I tried Practice Mode with Ivy and found out some cool new Throw moves.

I think I've found out who the hidden characters are and Beretta, to answer your question, Hworang doesn't seem to be one. Sorry, man.
Ah dang.........oh well i still at least have maxi and kilik to use but this game im going to get. i would get it import.......if i could speak japanese
Old May 17th, 2003, 08:52 PM   #9
Grayfox

Grayfox is on a distinguished road
cassandra's moves

Is cassandra going to have the same moves as Sophitia or some of the same? I am going to get the ps2 version and was going to use the guy with the nunchucks( cuase there really cool)
Grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2003, 09:59 PM   #10
MakgSnake

MakgSnake is on a distinguished road
Although I really enjoyed Soul Edge...... I am not too excited about this game that much.

I just bought a DreamCast few days back for $29.99 (CND), thats $19.99 (US)...... for the first part of this game. I can't find it yet. And one place has it "Microplay" and they are selling it for $69.99 (Pre owned). I actually hate microplay, so I avoid buying stuff from there.....

but I will buy this game anyway.....GameCube version most probably......only if the game uses the anolog stick. If not, then I would have to go with the PS2 version.
Old May 20th, 2003, 09:47 PM   #11
Azuma_Ninja
Techno Artist

Azuma_Ninja is on a distinguished road
I can't wait for this game!!! I've started playing sould calibur for my dreamcast again That game still rocks!! Anyways I'm thinking of getting #2 for the x-box, I think spawn is the coolest bonus character, with link coming in a close second. I really feel ps2 owners got a big shaft for getting Heihachi as the secret character, my point being that this is a weapon based combat and he fight's with his fists doesn't he? This is a big dillema for me because I feel that the ps2 controller would be the best for this game. X-box shouldn't be too bad but I can't imagine a fighting game using the GC's controller.

Anyone's who's familiar with the soul blade/sould edge series who's your fav character? Mine's Mitsurugi, he's always been my fav since soul blade. I liked Li Long too(the guy maxi replaced), I just don't see why everyone from sould blade was put in sould calibur except for Li Long, IMO he's 10x cooler than maxi.
Old May 21st, 2003, 11:25 PM   #12
synicalgohan91
Dunpeal

synicalgohan91 is on a distinguished road
maxi being worse than li long is a very true statment. i would have to say that my favorite character ever since soul blade has be hwang.

Evil events from evil causes spring

- Aristophanes -
synicalgohan91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2003, 08:07 AM   #13
Mercury Shadow
Calculating Infinity

Mercury Shadow is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the great information, Meryl! I can't wait to buy the US version, even though I could get either the Xbox, GC, or PS2 version at my local game store... that's too much hassle to mod for one game

I'll probably end up buying the Gamecube version for Link

I'm Nobody's Weasel
Mercury Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2003, 08:34 AM   #14
dan da man
Talk to the hand

dan da man is on a distinguished road
Ive seen alot of this game now (Japanese Versio) and it just looks avarge, the fighting system does'nt impress me, maybe because I have'nt played it, but the sound, graphics, and some gameplay is a 10/10.
Old Jun 5th, 2003, 02:39 AM   #15
Berserker
misfit

Berserker is on a distinguished road
Just saw the game on dutch tele, friggin' awesome it's a shame I don't have a x-box cause it looks like that
Spoiler: show
spawn
character is gonna own.

Vincere Aut Mori
Berserker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2003, 03:19 PM   #16
Grayfox

Grayfox is on a distinguished road
who they should of put in soul caliber 2

hey they should of put in Dante from Devil May Cry he's at least 10 times cooler than the old guy from tekken 4 .
Grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2003, 06:44 AM   #17
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

Re: who they should of put in soul caliber 2

Quote:
Originally posted by Grayfox

hey they should of put in Dante from Devil May Cry he's at least 10 times cooler than the old guy from tekken 4 .
Unfortunately, Dante is a character created by Capcom, not Namco, which is why he isn't in the game.

Quote:
Originally posted by Grayfox

Is cassandra going to have the same moves as Sophitia or some of the same?
From the look of things, it seems that Cassandra has a few different moves, but mostly it's the same as Sophitia's. I know it's stupid for me not being able to tell, but since the technique/moves names are in Japanese, I can't really practice them out and truly see if they're different. I'm sorry for the lack of information on this...when the game comes out for the US/Europe and there are some mistakes in anything I said in my review, I apologize in advance for any confusion I've caused.

You Can Help

Old Jun 11th, 2003, 01:48 PM   #18
Frozen
Dante May Cry

Frozen is on a distinguished road
All I can say is try all three versions before you buy your copy (well, that statement varies depending in which consoles do you own)

I was very excited about Heihachi being in this game, but when I actually played it and saw him in there, I wasn't impressed at all, it was just the same old Heihachi with exagerated moves. (I'm not saying he wasn't cool, he just did not impress me at all) But then I played the GameCube version and... Link was so awsome... they did a great job with him. Also, the loading times in GC are much faster than in PS2. Now I still haven' played the X Box version but I've heard that Spawn is awsome.

If you don't care about the "exclusive" character I recommend the GC version over the PS2 one, since teh grahpics are somewhat nicer and the loading time is much faster. And the GC controller worked PERFECTLY in this game, it wasn't a problem at all to fight with it.

Thanks for the review Meryl-chan.

Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2003, 01:08 AM   #19
Azuma_Ninja
Techno Artist

Azuma_Ninja is on a distinguished road
I can't wait to use Spawn. I think he would be just awesome to use but Link would follow in a close behind.
Old Jun 12th, 2003, 02:46 AM   #20
Vic Viper
Nero Must Die !

Vic Viper is on a distinguished road
since i only have one console, im stuck with old fart heihachi

Vic Viper is offline   Reply With Quote