Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » General Forums » General Chat

Old Apr 25th, 2003, 12:36 AM   #1
Vicious_2003
Stationary Wonderer

Vicious_2003 is on a distinguished road
Dixie Chicks Dibacle

The following is from CNN.com

In a March 10 concert in London, England, Maines told the crowd: "Just so you know, we're ashamed the president of the United States is from Texas." The group also hails from the Lone Star State. Maines apologized for her comments later that week, but the damage was done: A number of country music radio stations stopped playing the group's songs, and some organizations sponsored bonfires in which the group's CDs were destroyed

I just wondered what you guys all thought about this. Alot of radio stations across the country and particularly in the south are refusing to play any of thier music now. In a way I think its wrong for people who were once fans of thier music to turn on them just because they spoke out about how they feel in regurds to president Bush.

I mean it is our right to express our feelings about our governement verbally. But then again we must also take responsibilty for what we say. It would have been different had she simply stated she were against what president Bush was doing...what she said was more like a personal attack on his character. I think she made her bed and now they have to lie in it. If people who were once fans of thiers want to boycot them thats fine but I know for sure thet I would NEVER turn on any of my favorite bands just because they said something I didnt agree with . What do you all think ?

The kinder, gentler, Vicious

Beretta55- "fo sheezy heezy neezy weezy flipity floppity floop"

Lost Myth- "I already know you are something special and I think the Pistons did too,
because then why would they have won the trophy on your birthday dude?

Anonymous- "Whos more to blame, me for being quote un quote gullible ?, or him for lying !?"
Vicious_2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 02:12 AM   #2
mark0™
Extinct.

mark0™ is on a distinguished road
Maybe they went a bit too far with the Statement, but its still just a statement. Freedom Of Speech n' all.

Not playing the Tracks is understandible, but Burning the CD's?! Now thats too far.
mark0™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 09:34 AM   #3
Piggle_humsy
The One & Only

Piggle_humsy is on a distinguished roadPiggle_humsy is on a distinguished roadPiggle_humsy is on a distinguished roadPiggle_humsy is on a distinguished roadPiggle_humsy is on a distinguished roadPiggle_humsy is on a distinguished roadPiggle_humsy is on a distinguished road
Americans over doing it again! I like americans but they do seem to over react to things! I would be ashamed if I came from texas aswell the president is a *$%&£*&%$* I'm not sure what word that is but its an offensive one! Who gives a f*** what dixie chicks think does it really affect the fact they make great records?? NO! If eminem said that he hated people who came from croydon I would still buy his music! People can say what they want, they might not like some of my beliefs or some things I think but I'm pretty sure they wouldnt hate me for it!

GET OVER IT!
I'm Really sick of the news saying "oooh someone said this about the war or bush!" SO WHAT!!!!!

Your Life Could end tomorrow! don't waste it worrying about what other people say!

Piggle
x x x x

Piggle_humsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 11:22 AM   #4
The Skum
The Model ™

The Skum is on a distinguished road
I dont think she should have made those comments....everyone should know any badmouthing Anything about G. Bush would get a negative reaction....
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 11:58 AM   #5
ToxicUK
Pressure=Crumbling

ToxicUK is on a distinguished road
I agree with Piggle - americans always seem to overdo it - its like something becomes overrated in an hour. (Im not dissing americans) plus I agree with mark0 freedom of speech should be allowed unless youre swearing live or something.

Toxic - Force The World To Crumble
ToxicUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 01:04 PM   #6
trunks69420
Now Im Nothing

trunks69420 is on a distinguished road
I am sick and tired of it all... I dont like the dixie chicks at all yet i support them... I am ashamed that they are taking back what they have said though... If you are going to go out on a limb and make a statement like that then you should stand behind it.... I hate people being weak and never seeing things through.... I agree that we americans do overdo it... but who gives a damn... Not me... and as far as swearing why should it matter... Is there some all mighty thing that says "you can have free speach... just make sure it coincides with what everyone wants to hear."??? To hell with that garbage..... I vote and i live in this country and yet i have no real freedoms... Yes it could be a lot worse... yes i dont know shite but neither do you... Unless you have a badge that says you are the god of the freaking universe then i am wrong and so are you... NO ONE will see eye to eye on every issue so get the hell over it!!

OH and I enjoy starburst jellybeans... just to set the record straight

five vicodin chased with a shot of clarity...
trunks69420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 02:29 PM   #7
ToxicUK
Pressure=Crumbling

Alright, alright. Dont stick TNT up my shirt and blow me up. All right maybe at things like rock concerts and everywhere else who gives a flying f about swearing but if its like something important like a speech or something yes get up and get your point across and once your statement is made stick with it ongoing until its got through to others that if you are right you are right.

Old Apr 25th, 2003, 02:59 PM   #8
Vicious_2003
Stationary Wonderer

Vicious_2003 is on a distinguished road
Europeans over do thing just as bad as americans. I mean, Ive seen those gameshows they air in England/Japan where they do some very EXTREEME and VERY STRANGE STUFF ..now THATS overdoing it. Not to mention that they have anuual lawn mower mud races and races for just about anything that can move all the time ! (No offense)

But yes many americans like the ones boycotting the DC take themsleves WAAAY to seriously. I mean there just words get over it the girl can say what she wants

Quote:
Unless you have a badge that says you are the god of the freaking universe
Actually I just had mine renewed

And Im sorry but Smuckers Jelly Beans kick Star Bursts Jelly beans ass !. Man Im gonna go out and find me some right now. And thanks for clearing up that controversy I mean thats a question thats been burnin in my mind for weeks now

The kinder, gentler, Vicious

Beretta55- "fo sheezy heezy neezy weezy flipity floppity floop"

Lost Myth- "I already know you are something special and I think the Pistons did too,
because then why would they have won the trophy on your birthday dude?

Anonymous- "Whos more to blame, me for being quote un quote gullible ?, or him for lying !?"
Vicious_2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 03:10 PM   #9
ToxicUK
Pressure=Crumbling

Starburst are more expensive arent they as well? I never liked starburst they never really were fruity enough so I buy the fruitier version in this country.... mmm

Old Apr 25th, 2003, 05:00 PM   #10
Preventer Wind

Preventer Wind is on a distinguished road
Well I don't think she should take her statements back unless she really felt she was wrong. And the radio stations are expressing their rights too. So all in all I don't think anybody is overreacting. It's just cause and effect. I don't listen to country music so I wont be effected

And I don't think having this so called "freedom" is such a good idea. With out laws it would be the survival of the fittest. You could do what you wanted when you wanted. I for one think that laws are needed. Because even with laws people still kill, rob, rape, etc. Now I am not saying that the laws that are forced upon us are all right. But I think without any order nothing would get done.

Granted we are given some freedoms. Like the Freedom of Speech. You don't go to jail for screaming the F word out loud. But it is still something you shouldn't do. Why? I don't know. I think there are other ways to be taken seriously without using curse words. It just really aggravates me to hear somebody who uses that kind of language at will. If you were talking to someone you respected would you use the same language? And should everyone not be treated with the same respect?

"Know thy enemy and know thy self,"
"Find naught to fear in 100 battles."
"Know not thy enemy, but know thy self,"
"Find victory and defeat in equal measure"
"Know thy enemy, but know not thy self,"
"Find defeat in every battle."

Sun Tzu
Preventer Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 05:23 PM   #11
ToxicUK
Pressure=Crumbling

Yes maybe we do do extreme things - but look at your Jackass - thats american and some of the things they do - and you think we overdo it. So yea we may do stupid things like extreme ironing but at least we dont throw things at each others balls

Old Apr 25th, 2003, 06:06 PM   #12
Preventer Wind

Preventer Wind is on a distinguished road
So true. Extreme Ironing is my favorite...sport? I really don't like jackass though. Some of the stuff they do is funny, but for the most part it is dumb. It often leaves me wondering...why?

I am all for downloading music off the internet. But my favorite band (Metallica) happens to be against that. But I still listen to them.

And Startburst Jellybeans rock.

"Know thy enemy and know thy self,"
"Find naught to fear in 100 battles."
"Know not thy enemy, but know thy self,"
"Find victory and defeat in equal measure"
"Know thy enemy, but know not thy self,"
"Find defeat in every battle."

Sun Tzu
Preventer Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 06:29 PM   #13
mark0™
Extinct.

mark0™ is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by ToxicUK

Yes maybe we do do extreme things - but look at your Jackass - thats american and some of the things they do - and you think we overdo it. So yea we may do stupid things like extreme ironing but at least we dont throw things at each others balls
Dude, aint you ever seen "World Famous For Dickin' Around?" In short its a bunch of drunken Scots just arsing about, with Tonic Wine (Buckie ) and Fire, usually. Makes Jackass look like Clifford The Big Red Dog.

I think they cancelled it though, it was hilarious, they played Football (Soccer Bah), only they set the ball on Fire, Yeah, Chandler and Joey didnt do that in Friends did they? The Goalie Scorched his face when he saved a goal.

But unless your Scottish, it would be hard to understand the Slang And Dialect. Too bad it never took off
mark0™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 08:27 PM   #14
goodman

goodman is on a distinguished road
The times are stressful right now and for anybody to make a statement about the president, or anyone for that matter, means they should be allowed to make those statements, and also be allowed to possibly suffer dire consequences for the way people react to those statements. Its over-reacting, but, lets face it, we here in the U.S. somewhat live in the land of the free, so the media, and other sources of information, radio stations, etc, have the freedom to react any way they want, over here in the U.S., anyways. Im not a big country fan although ive lived in Texas all my life. There are a lot of conservative people in the country music industry so anybody making a statement against a conservative person can expect a very good chance of a nasty backlash from people in the industry, they shoulda seen it, really in advance...
goodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 05:10 AM   #15
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

merylsilverburg is on a distinguished road
Yes, I've heard about this a while back and I think that with people refusing to play their music, burning their CDs, or flushing it down the toilet (yes, there is this one girl who "claimed" to have done this) I feel that Americans are over-reacting. It is freedom of speech, after all.

However, I agree with goodman that these times are stressful and tense and anyone saying anything about the President would get lashed at. They should've been more careful about their choice of words.

"Have a little priest" ~ Mrs. Lovett

"Grim Reaper, you could not get the women? What was the problem? Didn't you reap them with your grim reaping equipment?"

"I tried that but the women, they all know hopscotch" ~ Eddie Izzard

You Can Help

merylsilverburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 05:24 AM   #16
Redpyramidhead
pazparacolombia

Redpyramidhead is on a distinguished road
I would like to make a point about something that is scaring me. Boycotting is a very effective peaceful way of protest to get our government to change it's harmful ways. Now our governments got people convinced to boycott things that are against it. It is pressuring the american people into losing one of the most valuable forms of protest it has against injustices and turning it against us. This new trend of boycotting for the government is nothing but another way the U.S. government is trying to confuse it's people out of using it's rights as they attempt to take them away out from under our noses. Now I may be a bit of a conspiracy theorist here...but how convenient for them to be able to slowly take away or trick us out of our last forms of peaceful protest so that they can jail those who are then forced to "less lawful" forms of protest so they can be heard. This is extremely low in my opinion. One would be naive to write it off as impossible.

PEACE all

_RED_ stuff

"..loathsome laughing, mixed with such a cry as no man has heard save for in the phlegathon of unrelatable nightmares; a cry wherein reverberated the horror and anguish of a haunted lifetime packed into one atrocious moment..."
Redpyramidhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 02:16 PM   #17
ToxicUK
Pressure=Crumbling

You've got a really good point there. It could be classified like bullying people into saying or doing something for what somebody higher up in the social hierarchy has told them to say or do.

Old Apr 26th, 2003, 02:35 PM   #18
goodman

goodman is on a distinguished road
Im thinking that real fans of someone who makes a unpopular comment or states their opinion wont completely stop supporting them. All the facts concerning different people making comments about the war, the president, etc, escape me, because in all honesty im just ready for the whole @#$% load to get over with and we could start recovering here in the U.S. as a whole. I do believe that it will be interesting when it comes time to vote just how the decision to go to war with Iraq effects Bush's popularity and possible voting success.
goodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 02:42 PM   #19
ToxicUK
Pressure=Crumbling

Hell yeah if like, I dunno, Robbie Wiliams says that our prime minister is bad because of some of the things hes done cos Im a real fan I wouldnt just start tossing all his merchandise in the flames - its like the saying "true friends (fans in this case) never quit"

Old Apr 26th, 2003, 05:15 PM   #20
Kimahri

Kimahri is on a distinguished road
Is their still Freedom of Speech out there, or is it gone? I would like to know, because in America you can say whatever you want cant you. Hey I like their music, and I aint gonna stop buying their music, or hate them for that! Okay if it is wrong to say that, which I think wasn't. Isnt it wrong to make threats and destroy their cd's? You know why their concerts are sold out and their cd is #1, its because america is now on their side, and now think what they said is right <example: ME!> ToxicUK, yeah you are right, they have to watch what they say now, and its almost like being told what to say. People who told them threats are people that have nothing to do with their lives, and there is few people out there, thank god.! Everything Natalie said over there, is what I think!!!! And I have always been a fan, and I still am. I feel sorry for them because what people are saying to them.
Kimahri is offline   Reply With Quote