Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » Gaming Forums » Action And Adventure

Old Jun 17th, 2006, 06:13 PM   #1
Infernal Mass
pariah

Infernal Mass is on a distinguished road
Yakuza

Yakuza NTSC box art

Quote:
Yakuza is an action-adventure title with a story and setting focusing on the darker side of Tokyo life. In a society where respect and honor holds great importance, there is an even higher regard for these traits within the one organization that is most feared by all: the Yakuza. Kiryu Kazuma – a former rising star in the Yakuza who is rebuilding his life after serving a 10-year prison term for murder – suddenly finds himself caught in a spiraling underworld plot involving a mysterious girl known as Haruka and a missing $100 million. Kazuma must use his fists and his wits to stay alive as he unravels the complex web of truth and lies that surrounds the notorious Yakuza. The game is produced by Sega’s Toshihiro Nagoshi, collaborating with Japanese author Seishu Hase as scenario director.

Quote:
Yakuza, scripted by noted Japanese novelist Hase Seishu, features an intricate storyline driven by loyalty, honor, and revenge. The seasoned Hollywood cast will bring the widely varied characters to life with both subtle and impassioned performances. Adding his signature voice to the cast, Michael Madsen (Reservoir Dogs, Sin City) plays Shimano, a physically imposing Yakuza boss who relies on brutality to achieve his selfish goals; Michael Rosenbaum (Smallville) voices Nishiki, a ruthless Yakuza member who has turned against his childhood friend, Kazuma, out of bitter jealousy; Eliza Dushku, (Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Bring It On) voices Yumi, who grew up with Nishiki and Kazuma in an orphanage, and is at the center of the mystery; Rachel Leigh Cook (She’s All That) plays Reina, owner of the Serena hostess bar, whose secret love leads her down a road of betrayal; and Mark Hamill (Star Wars, Batman: New Times) voices the insane Majima, a violent Yakuza boss with a twisted sense of honor.
Sega understands the importance of the dialouge in this game. They are bringing in the voice director from FFXII. Still, i do hope Sega releases a special edition with the original Japanese voices and English subtitles.

Infernal Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2006, 03:08 AM   #2
DSgamer
here and there

DSgamer is on a distinguished road
alsfhadsf LMFAO!!!!! @ starwars song
Old Jun 18th, 2006, 02:52 PM   #3
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

merylsilverburg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infernal Mass
Still, i do hope Sega releases a special edition with the original Japanese voices and English subtitles.
YES! Me too. Playing a yakuza-based game with Hollywood "talented" voice actors will be really wrong, IMO. I especially would love to hear the Japanese dialogue in this game to hear real yakuza-speak, with all the slang, the cursing, the extended vowels and rolls...that'd be so cool.

I'm excited about this game...I read about it in a magazine some time ago and I was jumping with joy. Hopefully it won't turn out crappy.

"Have a little priest" ~ Mrs. Lovett

"Grim Reaper, you could not get the women? What was the problem? Didn't you reap them with your grim reaping equipment?"

"I tried that but the women, they all know hopscotch" ~ Eddie Izzard

You Can Help

merylsilverburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2006, 04:27 PM   #4
Beretta55
Reached for the sky

Beretta55 is on a distinguished road
Eh, I'm usually not one to be picky on voice actors but given the games content and the voice actors chosen I'm pretty suspect on this whole thing. The only person who I could see perhaps fitting with anything is Mark Hamill since he has a career in voice acting, he could probably do something with his voice to fit with the character. Since after all you'd never expect Mark to be the voice of Joker in the Batman animated series when you hear him, so he COULD pull it off. Everybody else though I'm not buying, I like Michael Madsen and could have a career in videogame voice acting since his voice itself is gruff, but I'm not buying him as a Yakuza boss. Everyone else doesn’t impress me either so I'm iffy on the voice acting here. But hopefully it doesn't turn out too bad since like I said I'm generally not picky on voice acting I just hope everyone chosen here can at least decently do his or her role. Getting veteran video game voice actors would of been the better way to go with the acting though IMO.

But other then that I think the game looks awesome, I can't wait to try it out.
Old Jun 18th, 2006, 07:00 PM   #5
DSgamer
here and there

DSgamer is on a distinguished road
oh man i posted on the wrong one! i meant to post the star wars thing on the tomb raider thread!!! eeek
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 12:30 PM   #6
Infernal Mass
pariah

Quote:
Originally Posted by merylsilverburg
I especially would love to hear the Japanese dialogue in this game to hear real yakuza-speak, with all the slang, the cursing, the extended vowels and rolls...that'd be so cool.
exactly, Sega is showing alot of effort, but nothing will be better than the authentic original voices.

Old Jun 20th, 2006, 02:41 AM   #7
Berserker
misfit

Berserker is on a distinguished road
Is Takeshi Kitano doing any of the japanese voice-acting??

Vincere Aut Mori
Berserker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 02:23 PM   #8
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

I decided to dig up some info on the game and here are some things I found out:

1) The game is originally called "Ryu ga Gotoku" (Way of the Dragon) and was released around December of 2005. So yes, anyone can play the game right now if they understand an ounce of Japanese.

2) The game has sold a lot of copies in Japan and has won a Gold award for some kind of category (I think for innovation).

3) Because of its popularity, a prologue live-action mini-movie was created and released in March. The director, I think, is Takashi, Miike whose films include "Dead or Alive", "Ichi the Killer", "The Happiness of the Katakuris", "MPD Psycho TV series", and more. Here is the JP site about the movie.

So, here is the very awesome official JP site (Note: Click on the LEFT button to show you are over the age of 18. If you click right, it'll take you to Sega's JP homepage). I like the navigation, which points you around yakuza tatoos. You can view movies, character profiles, voice actor profiles (they range from doing anime VO like "Bleach" and "Wolf's Rain" to movies to TV shows), downloads, and more.

To view the movies/trailers, navigate to the bottom-right until you see the Turtle/Tortoise, then click on the Japanese characters (Movie). If the scrolling navigation sickens you, just click on the square button at the top screen (zentaizuu) next to the "11" to get a flat layout.

I saw the trailer and it looks pretty great and the voices are terrific. It just feels more "real" to me. I love the lighting, the details (such as the schoolgirl sitting with her cellphone), the music, and the accuracy of the real districts in Japan (don't know which one they modeled it after, unfortunately ). Too bad the trailer revealed a little spoiler in the story
Spoiler: show
the little girl named Haruka, Kazuma reveals to her that her mom is dead...she probably was searching for her mother and perhaps the mom got killed by the yakuza...I don't know
. I feel the story is a typical, standard one, but it could be done well.

"Grim Reaper, you could not get the women? What was the problem? Didn't you reap them with your grim reaping equipment?"

You Can Help

Last edited by merylsilverburg; Jun 20th, 2006 at 02:25 PM..
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 06:45 AM   #9
Infernal Mass
pariah

That prolouge sounds interesting. Takashi Miike, had a cameo in that movie Hostle. The director of that film (Eli Roth, i think it was) was inspired by Miike. Thanks for the link to the official site as well as the navigation instructions.

I hope sega releases that special edition, or make it a limited collectors edition.

Last edited by Infernal Mass; Jun 22nd, 2006 at 06:50 AM..
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 06:54 AM   #10
Infernal Mass
pariah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta55
I like Michael Madsen and could have a career in videogame voice acting since his voice itself is gruff, but I'm not buying him as a Yakuza boss.
yea, it's going to be a stretch. The first trailer with the new voices should be out soon hopefully.

Old Jun 24th, 2006, 01:54 AM   #11
Infernal Mass
pariah

some good news from Toshihiro Nagoshi. I think he may have hinted about special edition version of Yakuza.

Quote:
Kikizo: There was a one-hour movie made for the game in Japan. Are there any plans to release this in the west as well?

Nagoshi: We're certainly interested in releasing that in the Western market, however, at this point we don't have any particular plans on how to release it.

Kikizo: Perhaps it could release online, or be included with the game?

Nagoshi: Exactly - we haven't decided how we're going to roll that out. But we have already localized it, so we will definitely roll it out, one way or another.

Head on over and check out the interview for more info...

Quote:
]Toshihiro Nagoshi: We're releasing a playable demo on the September issue of the Official PlayStation Magazine in the US, which will release in August.

Old Jun 24th, 2006, 11:57 PM   #12
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infernal Mass
Head on over and check out the interview for more info...
Which interview is this? Can we find it online or is it hardcopy?

I'm excited about the demo for the Aug. issue of OPM. I guess there is a good reason to subscribe. I wonder if it'll include the US voices or the original JP? Guess we'll have to wait and see.

You Can Help

Old Jun 25th, 2006, 07:10 AM   #13
Infernal Mass
pariah

oh I forgot the link..that was very retarded of me. there is a video too, it's highlights from the interview though. he talks about Yu Suzuki, Monkey Ball..and of course Yakuza.

Interview Link

Old Jun 26th, 2006, 04:17 AM   #14
Infernal Mass
pariah

dubbed trailer

Old Jun 28th, 2006, 04:19 PM   #15
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

Thanks for the interview link...it was interesting to read Nagoshi's thoughts on the game. As for the trailer, I can't seem to see it. I went to the main page and typed in "Yakuza" and the only media available was a trailer with the JP voices. Did they remove it maybe? (Maybe because it was just too much of a disgrace )

You Can Help

Old Jun 29th, 2006, 09:09 PM   #16
Infernal Mass
pariah

wow, they removed the trailer.

I wonder what happened,

edit: it was a placeholder according to Sega, but it's very suspicious because i clearly heard micheal madsen in it. It was pretty bad, I honestly hope it was a place holder.

Last edited by Infernal Mass; Jun 29th, 2006 at 09:18 PM..
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 05:01 PM   #17
Infernal Mass
pariah

the demo has shipped out and is currently being recieved by subscribers of OPM. Details: It's a timed demo, and it's subbed (why must sega tease me! *shakes fist at sky*)

That english dubbed trailer hasn't resurfaced either..but it was awful.

Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 07:37 AM   #18
Infernal Mass
pariah

Yakuza dubbed trailer Sega said this isn't final..we shall see!!