Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » General Forums » General Chat

Old Feb 12th, 2004, 01:26 PM   #1
Faile
ys.

Faile is on a distinguished road
Lost in Translation - Thoughts ?

I'm guessing a few people here must have seen 'Lost in Translation' recently. If so, then what are your thoughts on the film?
I found it deeply beautiful and somewhat full of sorrow. The ending shots combined with just like honey by the jesus and mary chain were really well put together and formed the highlight of the film for me.

Best picture at the oscars? You never know.
xx

www.catherineandtheowl.com

purr. miaow. hiss.
Faile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 04:24 PM   #2
Pu the Owl
Useless Oracle™

Pu the Owl is on a distinguished road
Hmmm... I didn't like it, and I'll try to explain why.
Went to see "Lost in Translation" weeks ago and had very high expectations. The movie was reviewed anywhere as a real deep and artistically valuable product. Despite seeing "The Virgin Suicides" and having found it dull and superficial from many points of view, I wasn't skeptical (well, only a bit towards those who compared Sofia Coppola's ability to Francis Ford Coppola's, who still remains on a different level, so I was a bit bothered by the gratuitous comparison). I find Coppola's daughter has some ideas, but ends making appear them banal. I don't know... I didn't like her previous movie as well for the same reasons: she wants to say too much in a refined and delicate way, but ends saying nothing. The style is almost perfect (if you don't count minor goofs like microphones floating over Bill Murray's head in the bath scene, details of the setting appearing and disappearing etc.), but content is somewhat inconsistent. She always seems worried to make her movies look like authorial non-commercial ones, especially the feeling I got is she tries to imitate the melancholic and nostalgic atmosphere of some French movies, but the spirit is not the same. I think "Lost in Translation" had good potential, but frankly I expected more from it. To me looks like Sofia Coppola doesn't have deep knowledge of "real life". Her depiction is generic, stereotyped and not well-developed. She uses lots of quotations from other movies, she tells the story from the point of view of a person which has always lived sort of life that only few people, not the "common people" (haha, Pulp is everywhere nowadays! sorry, I had to say it!), can live, but most of all she shows life and feelings of her characters thru clichés: the way of representing Japan and its culture from a conventional Western perspective that has the same depth of a school trip video diary, the background stories and the personalities of her characters, also secondary ones, like Charlotte being a young married woman who studied Philosophy in New York and moved to Los Angeles with her extremely cool, young and successful but emotionally distant photographer husband who has an embarassigly stupid and vain actress friend - with blond hair! -, the fact Charlotte hasn't found her place but looks like she could be a writer - always the typical desired occupation for those who can't find their place in world and society! -, the fact Bob is the average troubled actor with the average over-invasive wife, thus he has to flirt with the first young and pretty American he can find in a foreign country after resisting and admiring her in a very platonic way for most of the movie, the fact he has the pointless and out of place sexual encounter with the captivating redhead singer, all these references to marriage and solitude and being away from home that seem more taken on loan from other sources than the original product of the mind of the screenwriter and director, and so on. Sofia Coppola shows her characters with false genuine sensitivity, but making it look a lot like it is sincere. Not her fault, probably it's her personal experience that shaped her artistic taste, when it comes to building and describing a story and its characters. That's why her movie had good wasted potential IMO: her style is smooth and so is her analysis, but everything sounds unoriginal, she scrathes the surface with grace, but doesn't explore anything in depth. When the movie ended I felt blank. Not moved nor particularly irritated. Nothing. I just got the impression I usually get when I read one of these pseudo-juvenile books, written very well with a proper and elegant use of rethorical artifices by authors who have this strong upper-bourgeois mentality, also regarding art and its purposes, and that lack any kind of true content able to really involve and stimulate meaningful cogitation in the audience. Not saying this is a terribly bad movie overall, but it isn't good either. It is mediocre: it's an excellent exhibition of style, but emotionally frigid.

Maybe this movie will do well at the Oscars, but only because it has no real adversaries.
Pu the Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 03:28 AM   #3
DSgamer
here and there

DSgamer is on a distinguished road
i liked it , i thought some parts were funy, like the asian tv show lol that made me laff a lot
Old Feb 14th, 2004, 06:47 AM   #4
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

merylsilverburg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Panuru

She always seems worried to make her movies look like authorial non-commercial ones, especially the feeling I got is she tries to imitate the melancholic and nostalgic atmosphere of some French movies, but the spirit is not the same.
I agree with you in some ways...even though I have never seen her other films, for "Lost" I do feel she was trying to get the very calm, quiet tone that is similar to, like you said, French but also Japanese films too. I think she pulled it off somewhat well, but it also wasn't strong enough for me to get a deeper sense of it.

Quote:
but most of all she shows life and feelings of her characters thru clichés: the way of representing Japan and its culture from a conventional Western perspective that has the same depth of a school trip video diary,
Yes! I felt that way too...especially regarding the way Sophia tries to show the differences between US and Japanese culture...and at some parts, it did really annoy me when the film kept constantly using the whole "R" and "L" situation for laughs. To me, I didn't find that funny...not because I am all "pro-Japan", but because this situation isn't a point that needs to be constantly talked about. With all the "Roger Moore", "Rat Pat", "rip my stocking"...it was just too much and became incredibly boring and a bit offending. And with Murray's character replying, "Because they need to amuse themselves because we're not there to do it for them" to Johanssen's, "Why do the Japanese switch the "R"s and "L"s?"...well, at that point it really got on my nerves.

Quote:
When the movie ended I felt blank. Not moved nor particularly irritated. Nothing.
In the end, I felt a bit sad probably because of the background and scene shown at that moment. Personally, it's probably one of the most emotional/moving scenes out of the whole movie. I just enjoyed when Murray sees Johanssen and they meet in the midst of the crowd...they're focused on each other and not the millions of people around them. I just like it.

I agree with you on almost all of your points, so I don't have to say anything more. I would also like to add a few things though.

I think the movie is okay...there are a few parts I enjoyed, such as Murray speaking with the old woman at the hospital and other scenes, but I just don't feel the movie is covered completely and I was incredibly disappointed because I really wanted to like this film. It does seem quite artificial and not very moving, except at the last scene. I think Sophia was trying to portray the emotions through actions and the scenery, but she didn't do a really good job. An irony that happens in the film regards the two protagonists. Both Charlotte and Bob are potrayed to be "unique individuals" such as the fact they are both Americans, lonely, stranded, having a hard time adjusting, having problems in their lives, both "intellectuals", and so on. To bring out this "uniqueness", they are put in a world where everything is incredibly different. But, in the end...these two characters are quite typical and they wouldn't be "unique" or different if the setting were in the US. Instead, they'd blend right in! It's easy to show "individuals" when they are placed in a foreign country, but it's only because they are in a very different place. I know the whole point of this movie is to show that two people who are similar can find one another through lonliness and "fate", but I just don't like the fact that they are actually narrow-minded typical Americans. It's understandable to have a hard time adjusting to a new place, but they don't even try until they find someone similar to them. And it's all very superficial; first Bob wanted to get out of Japan ASAP, but then once he met Charlotte, it's all different and "better" all of a sudden. It was all mockery towards the Japanese, but then out of the blue, "I want to be more healthier...I want to eat more Japanese food". Um...okay...so you found company, someone to ease your lonliness and now you're adjusting to the "Japanese ways"? What the hell is that? It's a very typical behavior which really annoys me. The way Bob and Charlotte view Japan and the culture makes it seem as if the Japanese are very superficial and materialistic, which I won't deny because they are in some ways, but it's not all like that.

Hmm...I have more to say, but I can't get my thoughts focused together all of a sudden. As Panuru said, it's very cliched but I do like the direction of the film and the scenery/places shown...I really love the beginning where Murray was looking out at the buildings in the cab. It's very beautiful and reminds me of some Japanese film's openings. I also loved the arcade and shrine/temples...the arcade is very nice because there were great shots of some games over there, such as "GuitarFreaks" () and the "Taiko Drum" game (don't know the name). The shrines and temples were beautifully shot and the weather was perfect for those scenes.

Quote:
Originally posted by gamer

i liked it , i thought some parts were funy, like the asian tv show lol that made me laff a lot
Ah, that "Michael" (or whatever his name was) show wasn't funny at all to me, probably because it's so similar to all the Asian guest shows/game shows which I've seen and really do not like. I don't like that type of humor which is very annoying and a little too upbeat, where the guest is made to be the "joke". Maybe I'm just uptight but there are other Asian shows which are not like this that I enjoy.

"Have a little priest" ~ Mrs. Lovett

"Grim Reaper, you could not get the women? What was the problem? Didn't you reap them with your grim reaping equipment?"

"I tried that but the women, they all know hopscotch" ~ Eddie Izzard

You Can Help

Last edited by merylsilverburg; Feb 14th, 2004 at 06:55 AM..
merylsilverburg is offline   Reply With Quote