Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Mark Forums Read   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » General Forums » Comics And Anime Forum

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 02:48 PM   #1
Pu the Owl
Useless Oracle™

Pu the Owl is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Anime you can't watch in sunny days :P

Why when people decide to vote for anime they're only interested in talking about most funny, or in general best anime series?

Ok, many anime series are funny and some others, even serious ones, have some hilarious parts in them. But let's talk about gloomy anime series, the ones with most desperate and depressing plot, characters and atmosphere.
Some of them are very good, even if there are not many bright parts or aspects in them.

For example Evangelion is kinda gloomy and macabre..
The whole EVA question is *shivers* oh well...

Anyway, I think Lain is the most depressing anime I've ever watched in my life. I can't see happy, calm, funny moments in it. I bet noone can.
I must add I liked it, but being honest, I can't watch Lain in any moment of the day or in any day of the year :p
Pu the Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2002, 03:14 PM   #2
IcyMourdor
Cream Puff

IcyMourdor is on a distinguished road
[COLOR=sky blue]Cowboy Bebop

This anime has as many sad moments as it does funny moments. I like when anime gets serious. It shows the how well the writer is when they do these scenes. They just give off so much emotion.[/COLOR]
Old Mar 10th, 2002, 04:12 PM   #3
Yuna
Simple and clean

Yuna is on a distinguished road
I don't watch much anime, but I'd have to say I don't see much of a point in Tenchi Muyo...
Yuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2002, 04:24 PM   #4
Pu the Owl
Useless Oracle™

Pu the Owl is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Yuna
I don't watch much anime, but I'd have to say I don't see much of a point in Tenchi Muyo...
Agree with Yuna on Tenchi Muyo!

Regarding Cowboy Bebop, I think there's some melancholy in it, especially towards the end of the series, but there are also very bright moments during the greatest part of its 26 eps. It has a good way of mixing sad and ironic emotions.
Pu the Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2002, 08:03 PM   #5
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

merylsilverburg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Mourdor
[COLOR=sky blue]Cowboy Bebop

This anime has as many sad moments as it does funny moments. I like when anime gets serious. It shows the how well the writer is when they do these scenes. They just give off so much emotion.[/COLOR]
Oh God, I know....Cowboy Bebop depressed me for the longest time. Only because the characters and the whole situation kinda related to my life in a way. It was so bad.....in December just before winter vacation, last year, I accidently turned to the Cartoon Network and they were showing an episode of Cowboy Bebop on the Adult Swim. Since there was nothing else to watch, I decided to watch that. That was the worst choice in the world because the next day at school, I was severely depressed than usual and I just kept thinking of the "Blue" song in my head the whole day. Then, I came home and did my homework, listening to "Green Bird", and I couldn't do anything else except listen to that. That night, I couldn't sleep and woke up crying and crying until finally my sister came in and I explained to her everything wrong with my life. She didn't let me go to school the next day. Usually, when I have a bad day like that I recover within the next day, but when the next day rolled around, I woke up and still felt so depressed and cried some more. I wasn't able to go to school for the rest of the week. When I returned to school after Winter Break, all the teacher's were up my ass, but by then, I recovered some so it was okay. By the way, Mourdor....cool but weird avatar.
merylsilverburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2002, 12:37 PM   #6
Spirit

Spirit is on a distinguished road
I'm intrigued by every single anime out there, and it effects me in some way. I prefer the sad ones to the happy ones, due to the fact that sad ones give me an experience and an insight to someone's soul, while the happy ones don't really do anything. When I see a really sad one I feel really bad but after I see it I feel nice, because I'm glad whatever happened didn't happen to me. Oh and I'm watching evangelion right now... so I'm really into it -
Old Mar 11th, 2002, 05:27 PM   #7
Cannibal Clown
Taijutsu Master

Cannibal Clown is on a distinguished road
the last episode of Cowboy Bebop got to me as well. Nothing toio dramatic or anything, but it was still really depressing.

Right now I'm watching Evangelion and Escaflowne. I'm up to episode 14 on both of them and Evangelion is getting a lot deeper than it was earlier in the series. And I think Escaflowne has got to be one of the coolest animes I've ever seen. My sisters just got the first 4 DVDs of the series last week and I spent hours watching it. And the story is soooo deep and i have to watch the next episode.

Just the other day I was watching these Club Escaflowne interviews of the voice actors and mecha deaigners of the series and they couldn't stress enough how realistic and serious they were trying to keep the show.

But the animators did make a few notions on how they wanted to put a gundam in a short scene during the battle with Van and the fifteen dragon slayers which I though would have been funny as hell.

Cannibal Clown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2002, 12:24 PM   #8
Reid
.red house.

Reid is on a distinguished road
Eva definently got under my skin and depressed me. Living in that kind of world would be terrible, and you feel so sorry for every one of the characters.
Berserk is also quite sad, and very horriffic.
Serial Experiments Lain and Boogiepop Phantom are like that as well.
Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2002, 06:40 PM   #9
Mana
Girlfriend of Steel

Mana is on a distinguished road
I haven't watched the whole Lain show, but it's more than depressing! I couldn't stop thinking of it for a long period, because it really disturbed me!

Thanks Fortune for the banner ^__^
Mana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2002, 03:25 PM   #10
TtTackler
¤Web-Head¤

TtTackler is on a distinguished road
Cowboy Bebop is one of the greatest animes I've seen, depressing, serious, and downright outrageous (in a funny way). I have the first 3 DVDs of it.

I've seen Lain at the store a few times and I've been considering to get it or not, I think I might pick it up sometime soon.

Today I saw Pet Shop of Horrors at Anime Club, the idea of it was stupid but the presentation was good. I also want to get Rih-joh, I saw a commercial for it on Adult Swim, it looks good.
TtTackler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2002, 10:40 PM   #11
BowevelJoe
ShakeandBakeMasta!

BowevelJoe is on a distinguished road
aye, Bebop, Lain, Eva, all kick ass and depressing animes all in there own ways, Trigun although goofy as all get out in the end it had its serious moments too
Eater of Peenut butta!
BowevelJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2002, 05:35 PM   #12
Cannibal Clown
Taijutsu Master

Cannibal Clown is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by TtTackler

Today I saw Pet Shop of Horrors at Anime Club, the idea of it was stupid but the presentation was good. I also want to get Rih-joh, I saw a commercial for it on Adult Swim, it looks good.
I just saw that preview on adult swim a few weeks ago too. That was the first time I've seen an anime movie advertised on TV other that pokemon, or digimon since Akira in like 1989 or something. back oin the day when I hated japanese cartoons. I saw the preview of it and it said that it was for mature audiences only. I thought to myself what kind of scenes would actually be in it. I was thinking a lot of violence and a bit of graphic gore perhaps. I could never have concieved in my mind that a cartoon would ever contain swearing, or nudity, for that matter, graphic sex!

But now, I've seen the light and I know better.

Japanimation rules!

Cannibal Clown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2002, 06:13 PM   #13
BowevelJoe
ShakeandBakeMasta!

BowevelJoe is on a distinguished road
aye, i was a bit shocked when i saw sex for the first time in an anime too, but hey, like CC said, Japanimation rocks lol
Eater of Peenut butta!
BowevelJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2002, 04:58 PM   #14
Miata

Miata is on a distinguished road
Depress this...

All the above are grim and/or depressing but no one has mentioned 'Kite'. A story of kids turned into assassins, their morality and sense of self stripped away, etc...oh yeah, this is grim. And the director's cut retains some of the harsher violent sex, making this NOT one to share with-well, anyone, really. I kinda liked it when I rented it a while back, so I bought the DVD Dir. cut. Ooops. The animation is very good, but the story just doesn't put that bounce in your step, know what I mean? Anyway, unless brutality and un-pleasentness are your thing, stick to the mildly depressing Akira, which ends on a high, or Evangelion, which sorta doesn't end...really...I guess...
Miata is offline   Reply With Quote