Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Mark Forums Read   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » General Forums » General Chat

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 03:11 PM   #1
Jolie

Jolie is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Does school steal too much time?

I don't know how many people here are students and how many are not. But I've read in some other post that some people don't have much free time for entertainment because of school. Don't you think school takes too much time? Or do you think it's good to spend you time for school (homeworks included) and leave hobbies behind because of it? I think that if you can't spend much time on your personal interests because of school, that's really sad and most of all wrong! How many people I know couldn't succeed in sports or music or any other field because their parents thought school was more important than all these passions... don't you think this is kinda unfair?
How much time on average do you spend each day because of school (lessons+homeworks+addictional projects)?
Jolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2002, 03:39 PM   #2
Noki Noki
Better than Maximo.

Noki Noki is on a distinguished road
In me own opinion.. it depends on what type of school you go to.
Actually, I believe school hours are just fine.. its just what goes on in the school is a waste of time. Not the listening boring, laxitive-prone teachers that (some) actually have to.

From what I've observed in some classrooms, teachers are just getting by, like everyone else. Thats the way one of the High Schools I attended worked.. and the children were practically illiterate (at 9th grade, no one in that school's grammar class could define an interjection, or create a sentence using the word "profound") With some "kids".. it isnt their fault though..
(Everyone has potiential.. but the teacher has to try, too.)

Homework can be an altogether different deal.
But as I said, it depends on what school you go to.
Some schools don't give ENOUGH homework..
I do agree that some private High Schools (mostly what I've been to..) do give too much work, but if you go to any Magnet or test-based school, you really can't complain.. but it does tend to snag when you want to jump a career and actually know something..

I practically have an hour or three to my "hobbies" (that I spend playing piano) when I'm through doing everything legitimate.. (depends on classes, mostly)
Noki Noki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2002, 03:49 PM   #3
Pu the Owl
Useless Oracle™

Pu the Owl is on a distinguished road
It's true that in many cases depends on the school, but I think also that it's really wrong that in some cases you spend your time doing nothing while during other periods the work is too much to be managed. For example, I'm talking of my experience (I'm not High school student anymore, but I still remember everything), during a couple of weeks I had tests (more than one each day) and many other things to do, while during the rest of the year I really had nothing to do. You can't live like that, studying like a madman (like more than 10 hours each day) for 10 days and then go to school only to sit down and sleep during the rest of the year. That's completely wrong.... And what about the quality of culture you get from this method? That you'll find yourself kinda ignorant regarding the greatest part of the subjects you studied, and you'll only be able to remember the stuff you found interesting (few cases). What's the point is saying school is more important than hobbies, if you go to school and learn nothing like most of the people do? It would be better for students to spend more time on hobbies and personal interests, at least they could learn something. Here I'm speaking of people who at least have some hobbies and interests, obviously.
Pu the Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2002, 04:07 PM   #4
Lost_myth
Every One Dies Alone

Location: In the depths of existance where the hot magma flows.
Lost_myth is on a distinguished road
mog Re: Does school steal too much time?

Quote:
Originally posted by Jolie
I don't know how many people here are students and how many are not. But I've read in some other post that some people don't have much free time for entertainment because of school. Don't you think school takes too much time? Or do you think it's good to spend you time for school (homeworks included) and leave hobbies behind because of it? I think that if you can't spend much time on your personal interests because of school, that's really sad and most of all wrong! How many people I know couldn't succeed in sports or music or any other field because their parents thought school was more important than all these passions... don't you think this is kinda unfair?
How much time on average do you spend each day because of school (lessons+homeworks+addictional projects)?
No school doesn't take that much time. I'd rather be at school when I'm at home. We have clubs and after school activities, plays and movies, sports.... I really don't do my homework as much as I should, I'm lazy that way. We have majors; creative writing, band, orchastra, visual arts, vocal and theater.

So, basically, I like school.
Going nowhere Going nowhere
Their tears R filling up their glasses
No Xpression No Xpression
Hide my head I want to drown my sorrows

No 2morrow No 2morrow
& I find it kindof funny I find it kindof sad.
These dreams in which i'm dying, R the best I've ever had
Lost_myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2002, 04:46 PM   #5
Sword 4 Hire
Retired...

Sword 4 Hire is on a distinguished road
School's a drag, I could have so much time playing videogames without it! I mean school is important to me but this v-game season is really crazy and school is just clashing with it in ever which way. Why couldn't these great games have come out during the summer!?
Old Oct 24th, 2002, 08:50 PM   #6
Black Heart
Mighty Captain

Black Heart is on a distinguished road
Does school steal too much time?

Answering the question: of course school does... I mean, it does steal the greatest part of the time of kids, teenagers and students in general.

Is it right or wrong?
If it teaches you something, also a little bit, it's not wasted time. But it's better to not lose your interests because of school. School doesn't care of the personality of individuals: to keep on preserving yourself never lose interest in the things you like and always find a good amount of time to spend for your hobbies.
Black Heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2002, 09:31 PM   #7
AudioBoxer
Banned Member

AudioBoxer is on a distinguished road
In my opinion school is life, it runs your life thats why I hated it soooooo much!
AudioBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2002, 09:49 PM   #8
IcyMourdor
Cream Puff

IcyMourdor is on a distinguished road
To tell the truth, school doesn't take up time. It is boring and tedious, but when a lot of my friends are there, it isn't all that bad.

Work takes up too much time. Yes, you need money, but you can only work when you aren't in school.
Old Oct 24th, 2002, 10:43 PM   #9
DragonSphere
Beneath the Shadow

DragonSphere is on a distinguished road
Right now, yes. I've got essays, a bunch of homework, and tests almost every week; preventing me from finishing games like Kingdom Hearts .
DragonSphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2002, 11:21 PM   #10
hijakedGTR
still dreaming

hijakedGTR is on a distinguished road
I agree with Mourdor, without school, would you have friends? the guy at the local game shop isnt included
Think about it, personnaly you wouldnt have much of a social life without school
im also glad ive finnaly finished my schooling just today.. now i can go get absolutely with out having to worry about school hehe.....
hijakedGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2002, 11:42 PM   #11
Frozen
Dante May Cry

Frozen is on a distinguished road
As everything in life, it has it's advantages and disadvantages. for those who care about a social life, school is necessary. Very hard to make friends if you don't attent to a school or college. For my own experience, I really don';t recall saying I've made friends at work, excepting one girl I have been hanging out with recently, she is becoming a friend, but that's like, after 6 months I've "known" her.

I really miss that social part of school. As for everything else of it, I am so freaking glad I finished that damned s*** The last 2 years were pretty much a whole lot of all s*** together.

Now that I only got a part time job, I'm enjoying some of the pleasures of life (my own), one of those: video games. I have got more time than I ever had before to do this activity. I don't have to be worrying about the stupid homeworks, about a stinking exam I have to study for...... I can play any time I want, until I get tired of it.

Although I am doing this, being quite conscious that I won't have this privilege for ever... sooner or later, I'll have to take off from home, and live for myself, by my self. And next year I plan to go to college, so I am sure that all of these free time I have now, will be something I'll mmiss. But as I said before, college will give me other different benefits I don't have currently.

But to directly answer Jolie's question, yes, school took a lot of my time. I'm glad I'm already off from that

Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2002, 11:40 AM   #12
Hylas
Now or Never

Hylas is on a distinguished road
I'm one of the persons who had to let her passion for sports die thanks to school My parents said it was taking too much time and school came first. So, if there was a thing that didn't count much, that was sport. I was really pissed. Studying is important but is shouldn't be your only goal or occupation, neither it should be the most important thing for parents. I mean, school shouldn't discourage people, but that's what it does most of the time...
Hylas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2002, 12:02 PM   #13
Lost_myth
Every One Dies Alone

Location: In the depths of existance where the hot magma flows.
Lost_myth is on a distinguished road
mog

Quote:
Originally posted by hijakedGTR
I agree with Mourdor, without school, would you have friends? the guy at the local game shop isnt included
Think about it, personnaly you wouldnt have much of a social life without school
im also glad ive finnaly finished my schooling just today.. now i can go get absolutely with out having to worry about school hehe.....
I would only have about one or two real friends, but without school I'd miss out on meeting my lifelong friend perhaps.
And all the other ppl I know. I'd never not want to know them. School is cool, yes it's corny and yes you get all this homework and stuff (especially me) but you also get all these days off like yesterday and today for me.
Going nowhere Going nowhere
Their tears R filling up their glasses
No Xpression No Xpression
Hide my head I want to drown my sorrows

No 2morrow No 2morrow
& I find it kindof funny I find it kindof sad.
These dreams in which i'm dying, R the best I've ever had
Lost_myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2002, 01:55 PM   #14
kupoartist
.illustrated.thingy.

kupoartist is on a distinguished road
My two English Essays (Far From The Madding Crowd, and Hamlet) both say a very loud "YES!" at the moment... especially as the first one is 16 pages handwritten and its got to be typed before monday ... but I usually get on fine. I get accused of "cruising" but hey.... doesn't everybody who does Drama?
kupoartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2002, 03:11 PM   #15
Frozen
Dante May Cry

Frozen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Hylas
... I mean, school shouldn't discourage people, but that's what it does most of the time...
Very true, instead of discouraging people to do things, it should rather encourage them to do so. School, nevertheless, will always be important, there you acquire a lot of knowledge you will really need in life, wether you want this knowledge or not. As far as I know, the academic level in most of US schools is low. Ironic, that in south american countries you find much higher academic levels than in what is supposed to be "the most advanced country in the world" (of course, universities are another story )

What's sad nowadays is that most of people do not learn anything from school, since they just use their "RAM" memory: they use it for the exams, but then they discard all of that knowledge, not keeping it on their "hard drive." Think about it and you know what I mean...

Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2002, 06:25 PM   #16
MakgSnake

MakgSnake is on a distinguished road
There are alot of NERDS too you know who loves to study and nothing else

But I hate those parents who just put their kids on studies and cut them from their social life and the result is nothing but a weird looking human being.
Old Oct 29th, 2002, 07:41 AM   #17
Hylas
Now or Never

Hylas is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by MakgSnake
There are alot of NERDS too you know who loves to study and nothing else
If they choose to study as their first occupation is their choice, and it's not that bad for them, right? They're lucky, because at least they're authorized to follow 100% of their interests
Hylas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30th, 2002, 11:03 PM   #18
FlexMasterRice
Beauty is here!

FlexMasterRice is on a distinguished road
I'll have to agree with Fortune and the many others that share the view that you really DON'T spend enough time learning what you'd like to in school. Speaking out of my own experience from highschool (i'm a lazy college student now....) I'd say that it is true that we spend too much time cramming a few days out of the school year for tests and exams while the remainder of the time we just sit around 'chillin.' Senior year for me was a different story! (just look at my sig. HAHAHAHAHA)

Anyway, 1 LOVE.....i mean video games. (the good ones.)
Old Oct 30th, 2002, 11:08 PM   #19
Rei
EVA 00 Pilot

Rei is on a distinguished road
School only increased my boredom and irritability... and laziness of course *yawns*
Rei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30th, 2002, 11:11 PM   #20
MakgSnake

MakgSnake is on a distinguished road
I dont know. School never really took alot of my time. I wasn't really good at schoo, an average student.

But it was always not soo bad learning in business class, and even econimics.

I knew alot of people who wanted to be a banker and probabaly are doing BBA now and will be enrolling MBA after sometime.

To get a decent job, its better to study a little. It always help.