Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » General Forums » General Chat

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 05:18 AM   #1
Black Heart
Mighty Captain

Black Heart is on a distinguished road
Question Browsers: which one do you use?

What browser do you use? Was it your choice to use it or did you find it installed on your PC?
I use Internet Explorer 6 and I kinda satisfied with it. I've tried Netscape 6 too, but I was having some troubles with it, so I had to choose this one.
Black Heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 06:49 AM   #2
Pu the Owl
Useless Oracle™

Pu the Owl is on a distinguished road
Internet Explorer 6. Netscape sucks IMO, not that I have anything against Netscape users...
Pu the Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 07:43 AM   #3
Qjij_jijQ
Iroquois Jack

Qjij_jijQ is on a distinguished road
I use Explorer too, but I have no idea which version.
Qjij_jijQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 12:08 PM   #4
Sid554
The Silent Killer

Sid554 is on a distinguished road
I've used both Internet Explorer and Netscape and I can honestly say I don't care for either one of them. They both are kinda quirky IMO.
Sid554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 12:50 PM   #5
kupoartist
.illustrated.thingy.

kupoartist is on a distinguished road
they use Netscape at school, but theres definatly nothing special about it... it feels rather limited and almost pointless really. I'm using IE6 because, thats whats installed... I know of people who use Opera, but i'm really not so concerned about my Browser that i'm going to change to it... besides those kind of peeps are the type to want to be "different" or just to hate microsoft ^_^
kupoartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 01:46 PM   #6
Spank-A-Thon
Carpe Diem Baby!

Spank-A-Thon is on a distinguished road
Each browser has they're own idosyncrasies and none of them stick to strict HTML. Each one renders HTML slightly differently which can be a pain in the arse.

IE6 is by far superior to Netscape 6, hence why I use that a lot. The only problem with IE is that (quell suprise) Microsoft have introduced a lot of propriety tags that are IE specific. A lot of the CSS filters are IE only... Unfortunately a lot of web developers don't realise this so we end up with sites that are incompatible with certain browsers..

I've had a look at Opera and to be honest I wasn't too impressed. I also have had a look at Mozilla which Netscape is based on... Apparently it is meant to conform to the standards lay down by W3C - haven't had a chance to verify this yet though.

Anyways, I mainly use IE6.

- S
Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 02:29 PM   #7
Daedaelus
I'm Rick James *****

Daedaelus is on a distinguished road
I used to use Opera, but Linux won't work well with it.
Now, I use Mozilla! Yayfun!
Daedaelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 03:23 PM   #8
Frozen
Dante May Cry

Frozen is on a distinguished road
I used to hate Netscape as I thought it really sucked in previous versions. Now I use Netscape 7.0 and I think it's a nice browser. I use Opera as well... some have some features the other does not....

BUT I HATE EXPLORER. It always gives trouble, and everytime I get a damn pop up it's like if the PC's gonna freeze... that never happens to me with Netscape (I get pop ups but they just appear but don't make my PC slow or anything)

And well, Opera has a built-in pop up stopper on it which I love

Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 02:36 PM   #9
Mercury Shadow
Calculating Infinity

Mercury Shadow is on a distinguished road
Internet Explorer, the only one I'll use, I hate netscape

I'm Nobody's Weasel
Mercury Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2002, 03:31 AM   #10
Pu the Owl
Useless Oracle™

Quote:
Originally posted by Spank-A-Thon

IE6 is by far superior to Netscape 6, hence why I use that a lot. The only problem with IE is that (quell suprise) Microsoft have introduced a lot of propriety tags that are IE specific. A lot of the CSS filters are IE only... Unfortunately a lot of web developers don't realise this so we end up with sites that are incompatible with certain browsers..
Some web developers simply don't mind if the site is compatible. This doesn't happen for sites of big companies and so on, but mainly for private sites/portfolios/etc...
I use filters as well, but in the splash or in the main page I always write that the page won't be displayed correctly with other browsers. It's a shame many browsers don't support CSS and filters, becuase they're really a great way to solve a lot of troubles regarding web design and graphics.
Old Oct 4th, 2002, 03:38 AM   #11
Frozen
Dante May Cry

That's why I like Opera 6.01 so much. It can recognize the sites as Mozilla, Opera, or IE 6

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 03:40 AM   #12
Pu the Owl
Useless Oracle™

Quote:
Originally posted by Frozen
That's why I like Opera 6.01 so much. It can recognize the sites as Mozilla, Opera, or IE 6
Yes, I have Opera 6.01 too, and be sure some CSS and stuff like that are not recognized by Opera 6.01 as well
Old Oct 4th, 2002, 03:54 AM   #13
Frozen
Dante May Cry

That's why I use Netscape as well But hey, nothing is perfect in this world ;_;

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 07:27 AM   #14
Spank-A-Thon
Carpe Diem Baby!

Quote:
Originally posted by Fortune

Some web developers simply don't mind if the site is compatible. This doesn't happen for sites of big companies and so on, but mainly for private sites/portfolios/etc...
I use filters as well, but in the splash or in the main page I always write that the page won't be displayed correctly with other browsers. It's a shame many browsers don't support CSS and filters, becuase they're really a great way to solve a lot of troubles regarding web design and graphics.
But the point of the Internet is information first, design second - hence why XML is taking off.

XML allows you to describe your content - and when passed through to HTML, XHTML WML or whatever, the content will still be the same - just the presentation will be different.

As for CSS, it's unfortunate that certain browsers render things differently - but if you stick to W3C's CSS standards then at least you're playing by the rules so if certain browsers are incompatible then it's the broswers fault rather than the web-designers.

Microsoft's CSS filters are another thing though. At the moment they are not endorsed by W3C so if a site relies on these then I can only blame the designer. You should never make the functionality of a web-site proprietry to a certain browser.

Working in web development (HTML, XHTML, XML, PHP, ASP, ColdFusion) for the past 4 years has made me more critical of web-sites (and browsers for that matter) than most people - which is sometimes a bad thing! But that's what comes when you mix hobbies with business.

By the way Fortune, if you do web-design, have you looked into XHTML Tranisitional or XHTML Strict yet? XHTML Strict will change the way you think about web-design! Specifying tables size, image borders and so on have all been depreceated - it's all CSS now. Basically the W3C are trying to separate content from design - which is a good thing. But it takes some getting used to!

- S
Old Oct 4th, 2002, 01:17 PM   #15
Pu the Owl
Useless Oracle™

I see your points Spank-A-Thon, and I understand perfectly what you mean. But you see, I'm only a beginner and I'm not a freak of webdesign, so it's only an hobby for me and not a work. I'm learning very slowly, when I need it.
Old Oct 4th, 2002, 02:32 PM   #16
Spank-A-Thon
Carpe Diem Baby!

Quote:
Originally posted by Fortune
I see your points Spank-A-Thon, and I understand perfectly what you mean. But you see, I'm only a beginner and I'm not a freak of webdesign, so it's only an hobby for me and not a work. I'm learning very slowly, when I need it.
That's how I started out by doing it for a hobby. Soon young Jedi you too will become a Dark HTML Lord, and then you will feel fury for the Evil Microsoft Empire! lol

Seriously though, I love web-design - it's amazing given the inherant limitations of HTML just how creative one can be!

- S
Old Oct 4th, 2002, 03:32 PM   #17
Black Heart
Mighty Captain

Black Heart is on a distinguished road
From what I know, XHTML and similar stuff is not compatible with all browsers and so on. If it can't work with every browser and in every situation, why taking it as an example? If it's not known, maybe it's also because of these reasons.
Black Heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2002, 06:26 PM   #18
Ruby Moon
The Cynical Clone

Ruby Moon is on a distinguished road
I've tried both Opera and Netscape. I hated them so much that I decided to come back to Internet Explorer.
Old Oct 4th, 2002, 08:28 PM   #19
Harry
Administrator

Harry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally posted by Spank-A-Thon
That's how I started out by doing it for a hobby. Soon young Jedi you too will become a Dark HTML Lord, and then you will feel fury for the Evil Microsoft Empire! lol

Seriously though, I love web-design - it's amazing given the inherant limitations of HTML just how creative one can be!

- S
Oh, we got a Jedi here? Btw, you still use the keyboard to write your tags or you just use the force?

Seriously, in a perfect world, where browsers like Netscape 4.7 never existed, one could really start creating websites using XHTML...

And CSS are still so buggy in many browsers, including in a simple magnificently polished one like Opera, that one can't build a professional webpage using stylesheets to give the dimension to "tables" and stuff like that. That's not sure.

Try doing that following W3C rules, and then load the page in Explorer, then in Opera, then in Netscape (including the dreaded 4.7 version, the nightmare of any web designer considering that there are millions of people still using this obsolete thing). You might have some bad surprises.
Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th, 2002, 12:59 PM   #20
Spank-A-Thon
Carpe Diem Baby!

Quote:
Originally posted by Harry

Oh, we got a Jedi here? Btw, you still use the keyboard to write your tags or you just use the force?

Seriously, in a perfect world, where browsers like Netscape 4.7 never existed, one could really start creating websites using XHTML...

And CSS are still so buggy in many browsers, including in a simple magnificently polished one like Opera, that one can't build a professional webpage using stylesheets to give the dimension to "tables" and stuff like that. That's not sure.

Try doing that following W3C rules, and then load the page in Explorer, then in Opera, then in Netscape (including the dreaded 4.7 version, the nightmare of any web designer considering that there are millions of people still using this obsolete thing). You might have some bad surprises.
Totally agree Harry, almost no-one is using XHTML Strict and few make use of XHTML Transitional because of their reliance on CSS. And as for Netscape 4.7... what were they thinking? Is it any wonder Netscape are so far behind in the browser market! I used to swear by N3, until N4 and IE4 came out...

- S