Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » General Forums » Comics And Anime Forum

Old Apr 5th, 2003, 07:51 AM   #1
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

merylsilverburg is on a distinguished road
Kids Tune Out on "Cartoon Network"...Blame Pinned on "Adult Swim"

Taken from the "New York Daily News" online:

https://www.nydailynews.com/03-27-200...3p-65427c.html

New York Daily News Online
March 27, 2003

"Kids tuning out Cartoon Network"
Phyllis Furman

There's not much to laugh about at the Cartoon Network.
While media watchers are fixated on the woes of cable news titan CNN, another Ted Turner jewel has smacked into a wall: "Powerpuff Girls" channel, Cartoon Network.

Not long ago, the toon channel, founded by Turner, was in striking distance of challenging Viacom's kids cable giant Nickelodeon.

But ratings for Cartoon's kids audience have fallen 15% from last year. That means its take of the kids current "upfront" market, could decline 10%, sources said. "The wind's gone out of them," said Nick boss Cyma Zarghami.

For years, Cartoon was growing its subscriber base and audience at Road Runner speed, churning out $130 million in profits last year, according to Kagan World Media.

But Cartoon's been hampered by budget cuts at parent AOL Time Warner and hasn't launched a big hit since the 1998 debut of "Powerpuff Girls." Compare that with Nickelodeon's powerful cartoon franchise, "SpongeBob SquarePants" and fast-rising hit "The Fairly Odd Parents."

Analysts fault the Turner network for shifting too much attention to its late-night adult cartoon block. "They got sidetracked and they stumbled," said Shelly Hirsch, CEO of kids ad buying firm Summit Media.

Another blow came last summer with the departure of Cartoon's longtime boss, kids TV brainiac Betty Cohen.

Her replacement, Jim Samples, acknowledged the decline. He's working on a tune-up that's yielded recent gains. Samples upped the investment in original programs, with five coming in the new season. Among the most promising - a series of animated shorts based on George Lucas' "Star Wars."

"It's a slow build," Samples said.

So, what do you guys think? I know many on here are pleased with Adult Swim because of the unedited animes and other shows that are allowed on there. I also know that some feel that more stuff should belong to Adult Swim. But do you guys think the late night block really is the problem with the lack of viewers for the other shows on Cartoon Network?

"Have a little priest" ~ Mrs. Lovett

"Grim Reaper, you could not get the women? What was the problem? Didn't you reap them with your grim reaping equipment?"

"I tried that but the women, they all know hopscotch" ~ Eddie Izzard

You Can Help

merylsilverburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 10:16 AM   #2
ssjtrunks13
Results May Vary

ssjtrunks13 is on a distinguished road
Unless there are kids out there that won't watch CN at all because they can't watch Adult Swim I'd say no. Maybe kids are getting tired of Scooby-Doo or some of the other shows. ALso, if their moms are anything like mine they can't watch Cow and Chicken.
ssjtrunks13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 02:13 PM   #3
Uchiha Sasuke
Cursed

Uchiha Sasuke is on a distinguished road
Here's his solution to all.Split the network.Make a channel dedicated to all those kiddies that love all this dumb cartoons and have a channel for all the kickass anime they play at times.Makes everyone happy

~The Official Ps2Fantasy Ninja~

~A Life Without Love, Is No Life At All~

Social Networks
Uchiha Sasuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 02:23 PM   #4
Vash

Vash is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by SSSnake

Here's his solution to all.Split the network.Make a channel dedicated to all those kiddies that love all this dumb cartoons and have a channel for all the kickass anime they play at times.Makes everyone happy
I agree completly, we should stop having it share with that dumb crap.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 02:50 PM   #5
Vicious_2003
Stationary Wonderer

Vicious_2003 is on a distinguished road
An enitire channel dedicated to Kenshin, Beebop, Inuyasha, Trigun , Aqua Teens, Sea Lab 2021, and the rest ?. Theyd have to buy a shitload more shows to pull that off and even then there probably wont be a large enough fan base to dedicate a channel to anime in america. Id love it myself and probably watch it alot but I doubt that will happen anytime soon

The kinder, gentler, Vicious

Beretta55- "fo sheezy heezy neezy weezy flipity floppity floop"

Lost Myth- "I already know you are something special and I think the Pistons did too,
because then why would they have won the trophy on your birthday dude?

Anonymous- "Whos more to blame, me for being quote un quote gullible ?, or him for lying !?"
Vicious_2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 03:10 PM   #6
ssjtrunks13
Results May Vary

Actually I've heard that there will be an all anime channel for the stuff, but I don't know when and I don't have a source for the information.
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 09:55 PM   #7
Preventer Wind

Preventer Wind is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by ssjtrunks13
Actually I've heard that there will be an all anime channel for the stuff, but I don't know when and I don't have a source for the information.
I don't think that channel will be a division of Cartoon Network. There is Boomerang. That has it's own channel, I think. I've heard about this anime channel for the last year and it is not out in Ohio yet. And they want to raise the price of cable. Though I still hope for it.

I don't think Adult Swim is the problem. How many kids are up that late? I don't see a lot of commercials for it. I think they need to get the old shows off. Scooby-Doo and all the other Scooby-Doos. I think all the Cartoon-Cartoons are mostly good. Power Puff Girls, Johnny Bravo, and Dexter's Lab are all funny shows. Code Name: Kids Next Door is getting popular too. Not to mention that most of the Toonami and Adult Swim shows are great.

So I think the problem is that a lot of kids do not like those old school cartoons and think that Nick is better. Though Nick is a little too kidish for me. I think that Cartoon Network is for older kids and Nick for the younger crowd. I also think that more adults are watching now.

And Trunks....Cow and Chicken is one dumb show.

"Know thy enemy and know thy self,"
"Find naught to fear in 100 battles."
"Know not thy enemy, but know thy self,"
"Find victory and defeat in equal measure"
"Know thy enemy, but know not thy self,"
"Find defeat in every battle."

Sun Tzu
Preventer Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 10:02 PM   #8
ssjtrunks13
Results May Vary

I never said I wanted to watch it. I don't know why I even mentioned that show anymore. ANyway, that anime channel won't be a division of cartoon network.
Old Apr 6th, 2003, 03:02 AM   #9
Azuma_Ninja
Techno Artist

Azuma_Ninja is on a distinguished road
I think it's toonami and adult swim that made cartoon network so popular in the first place. Personally I never paid much attention to it untill they started showing Robotech and of course DBZ!!! That's all I use Cartoon Network for is the anime not CN's original shows
Old Apr 6th, 2003, 03:10 AM   #10
ssjtrunks13
Results May Vary

Me too, I only watch the anime I can catch.
Old Apr 6th, 2003, 04:29 AM   #11
mark0™
Extinct.

mark0™ is on a distinguished road
You guys ever heard of CNX? Its a division of CN here in the UK. It supposed to play "extreme" shows, whatever that is, but it has anime on it. Not a lot though. Just Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, Spawn (If you count it as anime), and some others im not familiar with. This Adult Swim sounds good, wish we had it here.

And Cartoons Rock, Especially Johnny Bravo.
mark0™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2003, 05:45 AM   #12
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

A lot of good answers and I agree: Adult Swim isn't the problem in this case.
One reason the blame is on AS could be the fact that most of the "cooler" shows are on Adult Swim...and the fact that young viewers can't watch it (for reasons, maybe because of parents, showing at late hours, etc.). Maybe a large percent of kids would like to see stuff like Cowboy Bebop, SeaLab, and all the others but it's "prohibited" to them. But, this theory is kinda unlikely (maybe) and it seems that old shows really is the main issue.

Quote:
Originally posted by Weapon_XZ84

An enitire channel dedicated to Kenshin, Beebop, Inuyasha, Trigun , Aqua Teens, Sea Lab 2021, and the rest ?. Theyd have to buy a shitload more shows to pull that off and even then there probably wont be a large enough fan base to dedicate a channel to anime in america. Id love it myself and probably watch it alot but I doubt that will happen anytime soon
Very true. Money, and the lack of fans is probably one of the main reasons why CN won't have a entire channel for all the Adult Swim series. Plus, while Adult Swim has many different shows, it's not enough for an entire channel...it takes a lot of time to bring a lot of shows to Adult Swim in the first place.

I have also heard about that anime channel but like ssj, but it seems like it's not going to happen (although I believe that it was only going to be in select cities....Philadelphia or Pennsylvania was one of them).

"Grim Reaper, you could not get the women? What was the problem? Didn't you reap them with your grim reaping equipment?"

You Can Help

Old Apr 6th, 2003, 09:27 PM   #13
Cannibal Clown
Taijutsu Master

Cannibal Clown is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by SSSnake

yep, SSSnake and I have been bitching about this idea for the longest of time, to seperate the shows, into the crap for children, and the kick ass sh*t for the poeple who can appreachiate cartoons for what they can really be. I forward that notion all the way.

Cannibal Clown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 12:50 PM   #14
Hero
Lost Hero

Hero is on a distinguished road
I don't think an anime channel would do wonders for the anime economy. Think about it... Where would Toriyama and Manga get their sales if there was a channel showing uncut versions of DragonBall GT and Z or Kenshin?

The reason anime does so well is because in order to watch it you have to buy it... The reason I feel so good about Gamecube's copy write protection is because it keeps hackers' paws off emulating their systems and hurting their sales.

Overall I think Cartoon network should keep focusing a little on late night shows but cut the focus in half and help the daytime viewers that need kids' shows. Another thing too is that Nickelodeon also does live action shows, remember Keenen and Kel? They don't JUST do cartoons.
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 02:23 PM   #15
Esjay
::Viewtiful::

Esjay is on a distinguished road
An alternative channel derrivative from Cartoon Network, just for the anime? CN already has a break-off channel, and I don't think they could afford another one. I don't think the Adult Swim shows are the problem, I think the problem is that Cartoon Network hasn't gotten an original show in a really long time, and while many of their long time shows are still showing new episodes, this won't appeal to the newer viewers of the channel, and they need some new shows. Some of their cartoons ARE pretty good though, my favorite original cartoon from that channel would be Ed Edd and Eddy, funny stuff. But as far as children's entertainment goes, I don't think anyone will ever be able to actually top Nickelodeon, and that's not necessarily complimenting Nick or anything, I haven't been the biggest fan of them ever since they canned Invader Zim -_-
Esjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 04:38 AM   #16
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

Quote:
Originally posted by Hero

The reason anime does so well is because in order to watch it you have to buy it... The reason I feel so good about Gamecube's copy write protection is because it keeps hackers' paws off emulating their systems and hurting their sales.
Yeah, that is true but if you think about it anime costs a lot and not many people have that kind of money...so any of the profits won't go to the company anyway if there's a lack of sales. An anime channel is a good way to help people get introduced to anime, especially if it's anime already on DVD (example: Lain which is shown on TechTV...for those who watch it and can't wait for the next episode can go out and get it). I mean, I get what you're saying, but an anime channel would help a lot too.

BTW, good to see you back Esjay!

You Can Help

Old Apr 9th, 2003, 08:25 PM   #17
Esjay
::Viewtiful::

Esjay is on a distinguished road
I had some computer trouble, that's why I was gone for so long, then I had to move and I couldn't get my internet hooked up to where I moved to, not until we moved once again, and I'm sorry I was gone for so long, it's not like I wanted to leave or anything, hehe.

Getting back on topic, I do think that there should be an anime channel of some sort on basic cable TV, because it would be a good way to introduce anime to the american mainstream media, just like FF7 did for RPGs.
Esjay is offline   Reply With Quote