Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » General Forums » Comics And Anime Forum

Old Mar 6th, 2004, 01:59 AM   #1
omni vengeance
The No-Life King

omni vengeance is on a distinguished road
Battle Royale..Opinions?

I got Battle Royale for Christmas (Three volumes, it's the max number out at the time) and I absolutely fell in love with it. The animation was great and the plot was superb (It's a manga, by the way). It was also released as a movie (I have yet to find it, it is incapable of being found anywhere but Ebay and foreign stores) but is not able to be released in the US because of
Quote:
Violent exploitation
, quoted from the ratings after it was released, and then followed shortly by a book (Which I recently purchased).

The story is kinda hard to describe..I'll try, though. In the future, Japan's economy practically collapses. They build a government called the ''Greater Eastern Asian Republic", with a sole military leader called ''The Dictator". Over the years, the government has made up a Reality TV show-a game show, if you will. As if part of a sick joke, a class of Freshman are sent to an island, where they are provided rations, supplies, and weapons to kill each other with. Until there is only one student left standing, the game will continue. Every three hours, however, a ''zone'', or sector of the island becomes a ''danger zone'', where the collar around each student's neck will suddenly..explode..if that student is caught in the danger zone even a second after the announcement comes up, and the danger zones never go back to normal. So, after a while, eventually every zone will become a danger zone and all the collars will have to explode. An entire freshman class, dead because they wouldn't kill each other. Another alike rule, if a day passes without a single kill, all the collars exlode and every living player will die.

However, a student in one of the classes chosen from Shiroiwa High, Freshman class, Shuya Nanahara, decides to fight in opposition of the game show, called ''The Program", which is just as if he were opposing the government. After watching his friend die before the game even begins, he promises to protect his friends crush and escape with her from the island before they are killed.

Anybody seen the movie or read the book or manga? If you haven't, I highly recommend it.

Thanks Eli for the sig and av ^_^
omni vengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2004, 01:18 PM   #2
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

merylsilverburg is on a distinguished road
My, I didn't know they made an anime for "Battle Royale"! Sounds pretty interesting, would like to see it.

Regarding the live-action film, I've heard about it and wanted to see it and was hoping the US would bring it over. But, now I know they won't, so I'm basically screwed.

omni, there's a sequel to the live-action film that was just released in Japan this year. "Battle Royale 2"...you should check it out.

"Have a little priest" ~ Mrs. Lovett

"Grim Reaper, you could not get the women? What was the problem? Didn't you reap them with your grim reaping equipment?"

"I tried that but the women, they all know hopscotch" ~ Eddie Izzard

You Can Help

merylsilverburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2004, 02:50 PM   #3
Dactrius
Night Elven Rogue

Dactrius is on a distinguished road
I didn't know there was an anime version of Battle Royale, but I saw the film a few years back. To put it frankly, it's sick. I didn't even know film makers could get away with that kind of thing.

Don't get me wrong, the film was good, an interesting plot as well, but the violence... I expect the anime follows a similar pattern?

[PS2]: N/A
[XBox]: N/A
[GC]: N/A
[PC]: N/A
Dactrius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2004, 03:57 PM   #4
Pu the Owl
Useless Oracle™

Pu the Owl is on a distinguished road
I'm sure there is a manga based on Battle Royale series... I mean, based on the books, but I don't know much about it, so I can't say anything for sure.

I've only watched the movie (the first one, there is a second one, or they are making a second one, at least that's what I've heard). It was a fun dark humour movie to watch, you don't have time to get bored, it's pretty good to pass some time. Plus, I had to watch it because of the presence of Mr. Kitano in it I recommend it if you want to watch something different from the usual thrilling/horror. About the anime... I'm sorry but I don't know anything about it
Pu the Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2004, 10:50 PM   #5
omni vengeance
The No-Life King

omni vengeance is on a distinguished road
I didn't say it was an anime, as a matter of fact, I said
Quote:
(It's a manga, by the way).
I've heard that the movie is available at different places such as Ebay, but I'm unsure if it has subs..

By the way,
Spoiler: show
For those of you who have seen the movie, who liked the final fight with Kazuo Kiriyama? The book made it sound pretty freakin' awesome. Too bad that he had to kill the lovely Mitsuko Souma..I really thought she was going to be the last person standing :-/

Thanks Eli for the sig and av ^_^
omni vengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 08:08 AM   #6
Pu the Owl
Useless Oracle™

Pu the Owl is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by omni vengeance

I didn't say it was an anime
I was replying to meryl's post, when I was talking about the anime, since she mentioned the possibility of an anime series about BR

Regarding the spoiler
Spoiler: show
I too had the impression from the beginning Mitsuko was going to be the winner. The final duel was pure madness, btw... Regarding the true ending, with Mitsuko getting killed, while I thought she was going to be the winner, thinking about it, it was so obvious that she was going to survive, that it was probably a well pondered trick to make viewer think the same as you and me. I mean, all clues and hints made you think she wasn't really dead or that she was the final survivor. Anyway, that made you wonder about her till the very end.
Pu the Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 02:49 AM   #7
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

merylsilverburg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Panuru

I was replying to meryl's post, when I was talking about the anime, since she mentioned the possibility of an anime series about BR
Oh, I'm sorry for the confusion. I thought omni said there was an anime since he said:

Quote:
Originally posted by omni vengeance

The animation was great and the plot was superb
I only read the "animation" part and somehow skipped the "manga" part...sorry again.

However, when I went to Best Buy today, I saw a cover that said "Battle Royal" (without the "e"). It's a very old anime and I didn't check the back because I was in a rush, but the drawings were similar to that of "Fist of the North Star". Is this the same?

"Have a little priest" ~ Mrs. Lovett

"Grim Reaper, you could not get the women? What was the problem? Didn't you reap them with your grim reaping equipment?"

"I tried that but the women, they all know hopscotch" ~ Eddie Izzard

You Can Help

merylsilverburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 06:04 AM   #8
blindman
Sketch Penguin

blindman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by merylsilverburg
However, when I went to Best Buy today, I saw a cover that said "Battle Royal" (without the "e"). It's a very old anime and I didn't check the back because I was in a rush, but the drawings were similar to that of "Fist of the North Star". Is this the same?[/color]
I've seen that too in Best Buy, however thats not the Battle Royale you're looking for, because I've seen it and, if it has the same drawings as fist of the north star, then you better stay away from it lol.
Umm, I didn't know there was an anime. The novel is cool, and the manga is interesting.
I'll check it out.
blindman is offline   Reply With Quote