Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Mark Forums Read   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » Gaming Forums » General PlayStation Forum

Old Sep 5th, 2007, 06:18 PM   #1
goodman

goodman is on a distinguished road
Another ps3 price drop

Looks like another drop may be in the near future for the ps3. For those of us (most of us) waiting to see what Sony's next gen machine has to offer this is only more good news. Here is some info i just received, enjoy!

Just before E3, Sony dropped a bomb...and then followed it up with another one, but they managed to dampen the explosive effect of that second giant announcement. You all know the story by now- they announced the $100 price drop of the 60GB PS3 (dropping the price from $599 down to $499) and then almost immediately followed this up with the 80GB PS3 unveiling. This newest model would at first come with a copy of MotorStorm, but nevertheless, it would cost $599, which kinda makes the price drop almost non-existent.

Now, the 60GB PS3 is rapidly disappearing, and the 80GB is poised to replace it. At the same time, everyone is wondering if a price drop is just around the corner, if only to appease the masses who were a bit put off by the aforementioned situation. Well, according to GameSpot, two industry analysts have predicted that 80GB PS3 price cut may not be far off. Wedbush Morgan Securities' Michael Pachter and Edward Woo say the new 80GB model will get the same $100 price reduction treatment, so as to push holiday sales.

"The PS3 will remain at $499, with the 80GB model replacing the 60GB model at that same price point," Pachter said.

Furthermore, the two analysts believe Sony might drop the price again in early 2008 so as to take advantage of giant game releases like Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots. Could we be looking at a $450 or even a $400 PS3 in less than 6 months...? Only time will tell.

This is good news for those of us who are still considering a ps3, and maybe by the third or fourth price drop there will be enough games to justify a purchase!
goodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2007, 01:27 PM   #2
jjmoohead
MAGIC MONKEY

jjmoohead is on a distinguished roadjjmoohead is on a distinguished roadjjmoohead is on a distinguished road
With the PS3 selling so well in Japan now at the current price it does sort of surprise me they would drop it again so soon, but with the big savings they will get from changing over to software emulation it only makes sence to pass on the savings to the customers. I really hope that a $400 - $450 price tag is something more of you will accept as a good price to pick one up, you wont be disappointed.

The Magic Is Coming!
jjmoohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2007, 02:30 PM   #3
goodman

Ah, here are some more rumors, from a very good source!

We've all been wondering when we might see a price drop for the newly introduced 80GB PS3, which currently sits at the original launch price of the 60GB PS3 ($599). The 60GB PS3, which dropped to $499 in July, is rapidly disappearing from store shelves, and Sony has announced they will no longer be manufacturing the item. Now, analysts believe we can expect a price drop on the new model by the end of the year, and according to this source, they're correct. Here's a look at the leaked info-

80GB PlayStation 3: $499.99
40GB PlayStation 3: $399.99
Spider-Man 3 Blu-ray movie pack in with one, or both
PlayStation 2: $99.99
Perhaps we could've expected the first and last lines there, but that 40GB PS3 with a potential Spidey pack-in is awfully intriguing. Does Sony plan to offer a 40GB PS3 in addition to the 80GB PS3, or is this just a limited time thing? We can't be sure, but we do know that the 80GB PS3 price drop should work wonders for the holiday season, and we're also not really surprised to see that new $100 price tag for the PS2. The most dominant video game system in history continues to push, and if you thought last Christmas was the last hurrah for the ol' PS2, you were sorely mistaken.
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 08:53 AM   #4
jjmoohead
MAGIC MONKEY

jjmoohead is on a distinguished roadjjmoohead is on a distinguished roadjjmoohead is on a distinguished road
Yes I read about this yesterday, if it turns out to be true then I seriously feel the PS3 will fly off the shelves. It is an amazing bundle and the addition of spiderman 3, even if it was a terrible movie should show the ability of the blu-ray player. If anything its going to continue to be the cheapest blu-ray player on the market.

What I just don't get and this is going to be a mini rant is, why are people complaining so much that there are not any games for it. I mean Yes there are not a whole lot of games for it, but I can tell you from first hand that their are enough games on the market to make it a justifiable to purchase. I have picked up games I never thought I would play and enjoy them on so many levels. For example Ninja Gaiden Sigma is worth picking up. Its a very difficult game that will keep you playing for hours. I also enjoy most of the EA games out so far. LAIR is incredible and so much fun. DIRT although multiplatform is still great as well. The lineup of games comming out around the holiday season and slightly after will make this rumored price drop not only enticing, but incredibly worth it.

The Magic Is Coming!
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 04:03 AM   #5
Beretta55
Reached for the sky

Beretta55 is on a distinguished road
Good to see a price-drop on the 80GB model and a cheaper 40GB model. I'm good with my 60GB model, so no fussing with most backwards compatible issues the others might offer and plus I got it when it first went down so I figured I'd jump on it.

Also JJ I can't quite agree with you on "enough games to make a justifiable purchase" and I speak on this in the average consumer. What the PS3 had at the time was enough for me; I got Ninja Gaiden Sigma, Resistance, Virtual Fighter 5 and Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom with Stranglehold on reserve. Mostly everything the PS3 has you can get on 360 and not everyone likes EA games, I fall into one of the people who doesn't like sports games and many others do as well. Lair is just undecided, that's a game you either hate or love from what I seen, if somebody can get past the control scheme I guess it works out in the end. Then we have Ninja Gaiden Sigma and even though I haven't played it yet, it will be awesome just like the others. But that’s the thing, one of the best games for the system is a three year old game, a last-gen game given next-gen fillings outshines the majority of the PS3 library right now, and that's usually never a good thing.

I still feel for everyone still sitting on the fence, they will continue to do so. Five Hundred Dollars is still a lot of money, and a lot of people listen to reviews and how Lair has been panned by almost anyone and that might detract sales. Heavenly Sword, which is a game I desperately have wanted for a while now is supposedly pretty damn short, and nowadays you get a lot of people angry when they are told a game they spent sixty dollars on is only going to last about six or seven hours. I personally don't care, I have plenty of other things to play to make up for that games length but not everyone shares my luxury. PS3 will see better sales this Holiday season for sure but the mind-blowing exclusives aren't quite here yet and many other games you can get for 360 as well. 360 has head the head start, already has some exclusives that are pretty damn good and it is a bit cheaper (the difference really only matters if you get a premium though.) so I still see the PS3 has lots of ground to make up before it starts flying off the shelves, at least in my opinion.

With that said though, it’s a good system and the potential for it is really good. Uncharted, Ratchet and Clank: Future, Haze (I'd kill for this game...seriously. ), and of course MGS4 gives reason to own a PS3, but down the line. Also one thing I like is the wi-fi built into the system, it’s going to be just as easy to get online with it as it was for my Wii, which I always like. Not so for the 360, I have to buy a fricking 100 dollar wireless adapter because I'm too far from the computer, you'd think Microsoft would have put wi-fi in on the redesigned Elite.

The only other thing and this is more of a personal annoyance then my view on console wars. Why the hell do PS3 multiplatform games come a week or even two weeks after the 360 counterpart? Stranglehold has already released for 360 and according to my GameStop I have to wait till September 25th for my Stranglehold Collectors Edition for PS3. The PS3 version of SKATE doesn't come out till the 24th while the 360 version is already out. For awhile now platform games have been releasing at later dates for PS3 versions, what is the purpose of this? It really is quite fricking annoying, I'm not impatient or anything but when I have both a 360 and a PS3 I could easily time drop the PS3 version and go for the 360 and that loses a sale for Sony. The only reason I haven't done this on Stranglehold is that the Collectors Edition on the PS3 version is above and beyond extremely better then what the 360 one offers. I'll take a high-def version of the movie Hard-Boiled over some behind the scenes footage.

I mean to a greater extent Medal of Honor: Airborne already out for 360 doesn't release till November on the PS3. Who the hell is holding up these PS3 games up where they come weeks after the 360 version? Is it Sony or the developers? Who ever is doing it needs to stop, seriously stop it now or I'll punch you in the face.

On a final note, PS3 owners buy Haze and support Free Radical, the game will own.

Last edited by Beretta55; Sep 14th, 2007 at 04:04 AM..
Beretta55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 04:59 AM   #6
Phenom

Phenom is on a distinguished road
360 a bit cheaper? I haven't really done much research on either versions, but I did see an ad saying the 360 was $280. Seems a whole lot cheaper if you asked me. ($30 more than the Wii. Still alot of money in my case, but hey... I won't complain much about that price ) I don't know if that's an official price drop or whatnot, but I do see myself getting one before I'd pick up a PS3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ
What I just don't get and this is going to be a mini rant is, why are people complaining so much that there are not any games for it. I mean Yes there are not a whole lot of games for it, but I can tell you from first hand that their are enough games on the market to make it a justifiable to purchase. I have picked up games I never thought I would play and enjoy them on so many levels. For example Ninja Gaiden Sigma is worth picking up. Its a very difficult game that will keep you playing for hours. I also enjoy most of the EA games out so far. LAIR is incredible and so much fun. DIRT although multiplatform is still great as well. The lineup of games comming out around the holiday season and slightly after will make this rumored price drop not only enticing, but incredibly worth it.
Hmm.. Well, seeing how I'm one of those that says there aren't any games on it, I guess I should give my reasons. Because I have such bad taste in games, and am not willing to expand the genre of games I prefer makes it less interesting. I mean, sure, there is atleast one game that should attract an average gamer such as myself to buy that console, and for me that game is Ninja Gaiden Sigma. Quite frankly though, that is the only game I would purchase, and I'm not going to spend $500 for a console just for one game. (let alone 2-3 games) The only sports game I'd play is basketball, specifically the NBA 2k series. Other than that, I'm no fan of the sports genre. (Not even the extreme sports genre.) And I'm tired of the racing genre so neh on Motor Storm.

Now I'm not saying sony is down and out, but at this point, I just don't see why I should buy one. (Unless they make 4-5 games on a similar basis to Ninja Gaiden... or perhaps Shenmue.)

Last edited by Phenom; Sep 14th, 2007 at 05:01 AM..
Phenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 09:14 AM   #7
jjmoohead
MAGIC MONKEY

I guess I should have been more clear about what I was referring to when I said their are enough games to make it a worthy purchase.

Lets see if i can make this better (maybe not though lol)

The PS3 does have games now available that are fun and great to play. Like mentioned above my love for console games is pretty much limited to sports and racers. FPS should be played on a computer and a computer alone. However, that being said because of the limited number of high quality games PS3 has allowed me to experiment with games I would not typically play. Like Sigma. I would never buy a game like that had there been a huge market of strong games and I did cause it was a game that I thought Id give a try while I wait for other games more to my liking.

Now part 2 of this is that yes many of these games out on PS3 are also out for 360. But that shouldn't take away from what PS3 has to offer. Most of the games are rated pretty equal except from the IGN website. They have always put PS3 down though compared to other systems. What I am referring to in the PS3 is worth the purchase is if you don't yet have a system, and are enticed by the first wave of price drops by both systems, the PS3 does have lots to offer.

Which brings me to point 3. The PS3 does have a blu-ray player and yes I know not everyone is on the next gen band wagon yet, but the PS3 is the cheapest blu-ray player on the market and does allow for next gen movie watching. This is and shouldn't be the main selling point, but at the current price you are getting a system that has games out that are playable and fun, has a great set of upcoming titles and you can play next gen movies on it.

Now does these 3 points make it the perfect system, no way in deed. But i am saying that there are qualities that make it purchasable. If not now, definitely if the price drops again.

As for the reasoning behind some games coming out later for ps3 could be to the fact that the images in the ps3 games can be made into larger files since there can be 25Gigs of stored information rather then 4.7 Gigs on the 360. The conversions and production of these files probably take more time then conventional DVD style graphics. Plus if the games are being designed from scratch and with PS3 being relatively new technology it seems only reasonable at this point that games might be released slightly later. That in mind is it acceptable, probably not, but does possibly explain the delay. Plus I do knew that a few of the titles did come with extra content when they were delayed on release, not saying it will happen with all of the games, but they might.

The Magic Is Coming!
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 06:42 AM   #8
goodman

Im sitting here looking at 3 or 4 unopened ps2 games, lol, its gonna be a while for me..................
Old Oct 12th, 2007, 02:39 AM   #9
DragonSphere
Beneath the Shadow

DragonSphere is on a distinguished road
anticipating the next price drop would be a hecka of a lot easier if my ps2 hadn't broken down over a year ago
DragonSphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2007, 12:41 PM   #10
jjmoohead
MAGIC MONKEY

They have announced price drops in Japan and Europe at 399. There is also supposed to be some sort of "Big Bang" announcement today, have not heard anything else yet.

The Magic Is Coming!
Old Oct 12th, 2007, 07:00 PM   #11
DragonSphere
Beneath the Shadow

yea i've been following that big announcement rumor too....so far no dice, but if anything, it'd have to be soemthing along the lines of releasing the 40g in the States
Old Oct 13th, 2007, 09:54 AM   #12
jjmoohead
MAGIC MONKEY

I guess it was just a rumor after all. Maybe they just delayed some big announcement since it was leaked to happen yesterday.

The Magic Is Coming!
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 11:55 PM   #13
DragonSphere
Beneath the Shadow

6 days after the fact, no less...

well, surprise surprise, Sony finally coughed up the announcement that the 40 gb (bundle with the Blue-Ray edition of Spider Man 3) is hitting North American shores, and just like in the other territories, comes in with a much more reasonable price of $399. that and the 80 gig (with Motorstorm) gets the 100 dollar cut as well...

personally, i think its great, but i just can't imagine paying for a PS3 without backwards compatibility. so in that sense, while the 80 gig is the better value over all - especially since they both are at the current price point now - the remaining 60 gig stock still seems like the best model to have...
Old Oct 21st, 2007, 09:25 AM   #14
jjmoohead
MAGIC MONKEY

The best thing for me anyway is that the Canadian price was brought down to meet the US price. Now that the Canadian dollar is worth more then the US dollar Sony finally decided that Canadians should have to pay $60 more then the US. So Canada received a $160 rebate on the PS3 which is going to be huge this Christmas.

The Magic Is Coming!
Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 11:36 PM   #15
goodman

Eh, its still all so 2008 if its ever for me with ps3, guys. Just nothing there this year, sorry. Bet there will be a version close to $300 this time next year with a few dozen fun games, it may well interest me by then. If anything we will have a clearer idea on what console is truely the best of the 3 consoles.... im actually playing a ps2 game, miracles of miracles, cracked open my copy of Onimusha Dawn of Dreams last week, been fun so far nine hrs in...
Old Oct 25th, 2007, 01:56 PM   #16
DragonSphere
Beneath the Shadow

cue in most expensive impulse-buy evar

No, not the PS3 sadly (still gotta wait for that) but I simply fell in love with the "Ceramic White" PS3 models in Japan...so much so that I went ahead and pre-ordered a White DualShock 3 controller! Couldn't resist.

Of course, I'm going to have to stare and salivate at it for a good two months or so before i can actually use it
Old Oct 29th, 2007, 09:54 PM   #17
jjmoohead
MAGIC MONKEY

Wow dragon if thats not loyalty I don't know what is...allow my to get on my knees and bow to you...*IM NOT WORTHY.

Please note I actually think thats sweet and impressive, not making fun of you. In fact I am a weeeeee bit jealous.

The Magic Is Coming!
Old Nov 3rd, 2007, 10:13 PM   #18
DragonSphere
Beneath the Shadow

Quote:
Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you very much for your support to YesAsia.com.

With reference to your order placed on 25-Oct-07 containing "PS3 DualShock 3 Wireless Controller (Ceramic White) (Japan Version)", we would like to inform you that the manufacturer, Sony, has confirmed that this product will not be available in sufficient quantities on its release date due to high market demand. Further quantities will be produced daily after the release date, and we will fulfill outstanding orders as we receive stock. However, we cannot anticipate how long this will take, and currently hope to fulfill all orders by the end of December 2007.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused from the delay and we assure that we will do our best to ship all orders quickly and safely once they are ready for shipment.
Damn, I was hoping this wouldn't happen, though it probably was inevitable All I can hope is that I get it before the end of the year to enjoy it...
Old Nov 4th, 2007, 08:05 AM   #19
goodman

Gotta say, im enjoying playing console games again and will look forward to what Sony brings to us in 08. I think at this time your doing just fine, DS, and wouldnt worry about the controller, it will be there when you need it. Which is what i figure the ps3 will be when i need it. I still have a load of ps2 games i havent looked at so that will keep me busy. With the ever enticing thought of pc games as a great option too....
Old Jan 24th, 2008, 06:24 PM   #20
jjmoohead
MAGIC MONKEY

Crazy rumors going on again that the PS3 will be dropping down to $299. Sony came out and said this was false, but that didnt seem to slow the talks. Best Buy has then come out with something stating that the 80G was no longer being sold in their stores, which fueled the price drop argument of the 40 Gig again because sony was now only going to be doing 40G machines.

Its getting crazy out here in rumor world. White PS3's also to hit USA real soon. (as some say to coincide with the $299 price tag)

The Magic Is Coming!