Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » General Forums » Comics And Anime Forum

Old Jun 19th, 2003, 06:49 AM   #1
Redpyramidhead
pazparacolombia

Redpyramidhead is on a distinguished road
I know this is a rather broad question, but what's Hellsing about?

_RED_ stuff

"..loathsome laughing, mixed with such a cry as no man has heard save for in the phlegathon of unrelatable nightmares; a cry wherein reverberated the horror and anguish of a haunted lifetime packed into one atrocious moment..."
Redpyramidhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 07:47 AM   #2
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

merylsilverburg is on a distinguished road
Sorry Red, I had to create a new thread for your question because where you posted was talking about another series.

"Hellsing" is basically a vampire series. It's very dark, very bloody, and something that vampire fans and maybe non-vampire fans will enjoy.

The plot:
In England, there is a secret organization named "Hellsing" whose mission is to destroy vampires and ghouls from the face of the earth. They are known only by the Royal Family and their rival organization, the Vatican Church. The leader of this is Sir Integra Wingates Hellsing and her main "weapon" used to destroy the vampires/ghouls, is a vampire as well: Arucard (or Alucard).

This series has only 13 episodes and contrary to what I might've said about a second season, it might actually still be a rumor. Anyway, the plot is enjoyable but the story in certain episodes seem to be poorly done. The animation is nicely done and the action sequences are smooth, but in certain episodes, drawings aren't as beautiful and detail aren't as visible. The music gives the series a raw, dark, edgy feel and accompanies certain scenes well. Main characters are likable (especially Arucard) and well-developed, even supporting characters.
I hope I helped you. If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.

"Have a little priest" ~ Mrs. Lovett

"Grim Reaper, you could not get the women? What was the problem? Didn't you reap them with your grim reaping equipment?"

"I tried that but the women, they all know hopscotch" ~ Eddie Izzard

You Can Help

merylsilverburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 01:03 PM   #3
omni vengeance
The No-Life King

omni vengeance is on a distinguished road
Must...watch....Hellsing....

Thanks Eli for the sig and av ^_^
omni vengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 02:38 PM   #4
Uchiha Sasuke
Cursed

Uchiha Sasuke is on a distinguished road
I suggest if you like stuff like Hellsing fans of it must check out Berserk. The series isn't really about vampires. But the captivating story, amounts of action and violence and the awesome voice acting make this one hell of a series, better than Hellsing in my opinion.

~The Official Ps2Fantasy Ninja~

~A Life Without Love, Is No Life At All~

Social Networks
Uchiha Sasuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 05:28 PM   #5
omni vengeance
The No-Life King

omni vengeance is on a distinguished road
Okay, either it's that good or you just don't like Hellsing. I need to check out both of them.

Thanks Eli for the sig and av ^_^
omni vengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 08:15 PM   #6
Nelo Angelo
Victory is Mine!

Nelo Angelo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by SSSnake

I suggest if you like stuff like Hellsing fans of it must check out Berserk. The series isn't really about vampires. But the captivating story, amounts of action and violence and the awesome voice acting make this one hell of a series, better than Hellsing in my opinion.
I wouldn't say Berserk is better than Hellsing, but it is on the same ground(As in rank :O) as Hellsing in my opinion.

Hellsing is one of my favorite animes ever.

They could have made it longer though.
Nelo Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 08:51 PM   #7
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

Beserk was good, but if I had to choose one, I'd pick Hellsing. Regarding voice actors, the Japanese voices are good in both animes...the dub for Hellsing is good, but I didn't hear the dub for Beserk.

"Grim Reaper, you could not get the women? What was the problem? Didn't you reap them with your grim reaping equipment?"

You Can Help

Old Jun 19th, 2003, 10:11 PM   #8
Uchiha Sasuke
Cursed

Uchiha Sasuke is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Nelo Angelo

I wouldn't say Berserk is better than Hellsing, but it is on the same ground(As in rank :O) as Hellsing in my opinion.

Hellsing is one of my favorite animes ever.

They could have made it longer though.
The story and characters in Hellsing are no where near what Berserk has to offer. Berserk holds much more depth.

~The Official Ps2Fantasy Ninja~

~A Life Without Love, Is No Life At All~

Social Networks
Uchiha Sasuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2003, 01:29 AM   #9
Nelo Angelo
Victory is Mine!

Nelo Angelo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by SSSnake

The story and characters in Hellsing are no where near what Berserk has to offer. Berserk holds much more depth.
That's why I'm hoping the second season will shed more light about Alucard and the others.

I agree, that Berserk has more depth to the characters.
Nelo Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2003, 10:30 AM   #10
Redpyramidhead
pazparacolombia

Redpyramidhead is on a distinguished road
Thanks Meryl and the rest of you If I have anymore questions I'll be back. But for now I can rest easier at night...or did i mean to say day? mwahahahaha! Close my coffin on the way out, will you?

_RED_ stuff

"..loathsome laughing, mixed with such a cry as no man has heard save for in the phlegathon of unrelatable nightmares; a cry wherein reverberated the horror and anguish of a haunted lifetime packed into one atrocious moment..."
Redpyramidhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2003, 11:16 AM   #11
BlackThornn
Teacher Banzai

BlackThornn is on a distinguished road
In my most humble opinion, Hellsing and Berserk BOTH rule. And Meryl, the dub for Berserk is better than most. I'd say on the same level as Hellsing, perhaps a little bit better (because in many cases you have to do some of the rather ludicrous monster voices and they pull it off without making it seem cartoonish )

Rating one flat out above the other though, I would say Berserk is better. *ducks thrown cans* I mean for my taste!

Hellsing kind of takes existing vampire myths and existing cultures and tweaks them for the japanese standard, departing from the popular and obviously borrowed from European myths and turning them into rather typically anime-ish heroes and villians. Mind you this isn't uncool! But it might make somebody who was a big 'vampire' fan to begin with go "....eh?" at parts. And make some of the more solid followers of a particular "breed" of the vamp myths (like Anne Rice specifically, or Bram Stoker specifically, or V:tM specifically) go "...EH??!??!!" at other parts.

Berserk instead of tweaking other myths goes on and crafts it's own world borrowing general concepts from mideival europe and adding a big helping of classic RPG game flavor along with some heavy bushido influence. The result is.. Well, just dang cool. And since it builds itself up gradually you're going "...ooooh...." through the eps instead of half-wincing at bits as you were in Hellsing if you were a stickler like myself.

Final results? Hellsing- 8.75 / 10 Berserk- 9 / 10

BTW, anyone know WHEN the second run of Hellsing is going to come out? ^_^ I needs to gets it.

I am the Thornn in your side.

The Matrix has you.
BlackThornn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2003, 03:58 AM   #12
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

Quote:
Originally posted by BlackThornn

And Meryl, the dub for Berserk is better than most.
Ah, I just have a major problem with dubs ever since I heard Ayashi no Ceres and a lot of other ones. That's not to say that I don't think some dubs are good, it's just for Beserk particulary, I prefer sub.

Quote:
Hellsing kind of takes existing vampire myths and existing cultures and tweaks them for the japanese standard, departing from the popular and obviously borrowed from European myths and turning them into rather typically anime-ish heroes and villians. Mind you this isn't uncool! But it might make somebody who was a big 'vampire' fan to begin with go "....eh?" at parts. And make some of the more solid followers of a particular "breed" of the vamp myths (like Anne Rice specifically, or Bram Stoker specifically, or V:tM specifically) go "...EH??!??!!" at other parts.
I can see your point and I do agree with you. Like you said, true vampire fans might be disgusted with how this anime totally goes against the "vampire code" (or something like that ) and will end up hating it. But since it is manga/anime, the mangaka does have the right to create this series as he pleases, with influences of vampire behavior and so on. This is probably why I like this series so much...because Hellsing is unique and doesn't follow complete European stories/myths on how vampires act, behave, look, etc..

Quote:
Berserk instead of tweaking other myths goes on and crafts it's own world borrowing general concepts from mideival europe and adding a big helping of classic RPG game flavor along with some heavy bushido influence. The result is.. Well, just dang cool. And since it builds itself up gradually you're going "...ooooh...." through the eps instead of half-wincing at bits as you were in Hellsing if you were a stickler like myself.
I can't really say much for this part since I've only seen 2/3 episodes and recently got the rest of the episodes to see for myself if I truly like it.

Quote:
BTW, anyone know WHEN the second run of Hellsing is going to come out? ^_^ I needs to gets it.
As I said earlier, a second season was rumored to be in the works, but it could really just be a rumor. Hellsing wasn't popular because of the "Graveyard Time Slot" in Japan, the bloodiness and gore that went on in the show, and the fact the manga isn't finished yet. There was also a rumor going on saying that GONZO studio will go bankrupt if they create a second season, due to the fight scenes, CG uses, etc.. I'm kinda suspicious on that last one...
But, Hellsing manga Vol. 5 just came out in Japan...hopefully Hirano, Kouta (the artist) will continue...

You Can Help

Old Jun 21st, 2003, 10:21 AM   #13
blindman
Sketch Penguin

blindman is on a distinguished road
Well...it maybe too late but here's what Hellsing is all about.

Lots of blood, lots of gore, lots of Zombies, a cool story, amazing characters and wicked AMV's.

Thats what i know...i havent watched it myself.
blindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2003, 02:19 PM   #14
DragonSphere
Beneath the Shadow

DragonSphere is on a distinguished road
I've only seen the first 5 episodes of Hellsing, but it's looking pretty good so far.
DragonSphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2003, 04:12 PM   #15
chronicc

chronicc is on a distinguished road
It was way too short, The Storyline was kinda messed up, for example what happened to the Valentine Brothers? Why Does Alucard actually work for Hellsing? Why Didnt Alucard Just Finish off That Paladin, Alexander I think his name was! Maybe I missed out on something in the series, or it was explained in the Manga. BTW,
Spoiler: show
Did Both Valentine Bros. Get Away, That guy Yann got away didnt he after Integra Shot him, But Did ALucard actually kill the other one, or did they maybe both die?

And It cleary states that vampires cant walk in daylight, Walter says that to Seras, But you see her outside in daylight a lot, or else night-time was very well lit up.

Was Kinda Dissapointed by the Series though, I hope the Second Series will make up for it. I Read that the 2nd Run could be expected to be released in maybe a years time. Nothing Official However.
chronicc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 04:58 PM   #16
LrdAlucard
Metalik0r

LrdAlucard is on a distinguished road
Hellsing is about a swrewy wabbit...n a guy named elmer fudd!!!!!...damn...those two cwack me up :x

"Its a good night... On nights like these, I crave for blood."
LrdAlucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 10:38 PM   #17
Urahara Kisuke

Urahara Kisuke is on a distinguished roadUrahara Kisuke is on a distinguished roadUrahara Kisuke is on a distinguished roadUrahara Kisuke is on a distinguished roadUrahara Kisuke is on a distinguished roadUrahara Kisuke is on a distinguished roadUrahara Kisuke is on a distinguished roadUrahara Kisuke is on a distinguished road
Yah, for anyone who has not seen Hellsing, they should go out and borrow/buy it. It is full of vampires and even though it is short. It is still great.
Urahara Kisuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2004, 08:14 AM   #18
LrdAlucard
Metalik0r

LrdAlucard is on a distinguished road
You said it! (sorry for this meaningless post but i just had to post in my fav anime thread again )

"Its a good night... On nights like these, I crave for blood."
LrdAlucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2004, 02:45 PM   #19
Urahara Kisuke

Urahara Kisuke is on a distinguished roadUrahara Kisuke is on a distinguished roadUrahara Kisuke is on a distinguished roadUrahara Kisuke is on a distinguished roadUrahara Kisuke is on a distinguished roadUrahara Kisuke is on a distinguished roadUrahara Kisuke is on a distinguished roadUrahara Kisuke is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LrdAlucard
You said it! (sorry for this meaningless post but i just had to post in my fav anime thread again )
Yah. It is just that great, everyone should post again. lol Go Hellsing!!!
Urahara Kisuke is offline   Reply With Quote