Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Mark Forums Read   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » General Forums » General Chat

Old Aug 21st, 2006, 03:28 PM   #1
Faile
ys.

Faile is on a distinguished road
Filesharing! (Woe & Various random recollections)

Okay, this isn't your normal topic about how music piracy is killing music (it isn't, money is) but rather I'm forced to complain about how people are sharing glitched files. Look kids, I want to listen to Heavenly VS Satan in a decent bitrate without it glitching. Is that too much? Apparently so.

So, in order to celebrate the six years and three months since filesharing hit notorious highs with the Napster VS Metallica playground scuffle, lets have some exciting stories of how you thought you were downloading the latest [insert band here] only to find out that it was Cliff Richard. Or merely someone making a cup of tea. Or other exciting stories!

Incidently, to fuel some sort of debate, I really am split as to whether obtaining music through filesharing is morally correct. I'm less concerned about the legal ramifications of such when compared to that of ripping off the small artist. As such I'll try to only target music that is on a major label where the artist would probably see a very slight percentage of my record purchase. Anything on an independant I'll look to buy, unless it's really hard to find or has been deleted (Heavenly vs Satan for instance, or anything on Sarah Records).

Does Filesharing have a legitimate future though? I've been estimating that it has only had a year left since 2004. Do you feel it is right to obtain music using such methods? Do you refuse to obtain music in such a way? Do tell!

P.S: I in no way whatsoever condone piracy of any kind, except that involving Johnny Depp and ghostly monkeys. Yes. YOU WOULDN'T STEAL A [insert object here] ETC.

www.catherineandtheowl.com

purr. miaow. hiss.
Faile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 11:47 PM   #2
Hylas
Now or Never

Hylas is on a distinguished road
The music industry has some serious issues. Sometimes I think they deserve piracy. They do more morally questionable things than any average filesharing apps user
Hylas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 01:18 AM   #3
Berserker
misfit

Berserker is on a distinguished road
It's a difficult one, have thought about this lots of time. Music industry is f%^@# up, I mean cd's are sold here for 22€, the artist may only get as little as 1,50 € for it in the end. So when downloading who are you ripping off? They say you're ripping the artists, cause people might feel compassion for them but instead you're ripping off the industry that's why they make such a big deal out of it. Artists make money through shows/airplay royalties/appearances etc. As long as those big-ass stars can buy airplanes, multiple "cribs", 30 rolls royces etc. I couldn't care less about downloading, as long as the hardworking, creative, smaller artists can make a decent buck and enjoy the fruits of their labour. Artists that make great music and deserve my hard earned cash, will get it in the end cause I will buy their cd's and I think a lot of other people will too(maybe even after downloading it).

Vincere Aut Mori
Berserker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 11:18 PM   #4
Pu the Owl
Useless Oracle™

Pu the Owl is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faile
P.S: I in no way whatsoever condone piracy of any kind, except that involving Johnny Depp and ghostly monkeys. Yes. YOU WOULDN'T STEAL A [insert object here] ETC.
They assume YOU (aka a generic way to address to anybody) wouldn't do that, but as a matter of fact the actions involved in the process of stealing an object and downloading are different, this means also the mechanism in a person's perception is a bit different. And thinking about it, it's not that stealing a car and downloading stuff are exactly the same thing. There are so many ways of "stealing", and the question changes if you consider the term according to its literal or non-literal meaning. The slogan - YOU WOULDNT STEAL X - can be effective for people who don't download or who have never downloaded anything in their lives, but its impact is none on everybody else, also because it is so very simplistic and, as a result, ludicrous.

PS: not that piracy without grog is a good thing, anyway...
Pu the Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 02:39 AM   #5
Berserker
misfit

Berserker is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panuru
They assume YOU (aka a generic way to address to anybody) wouldn't do that, but as a matter of fact the actions involved in the process of stealing an object and downloading are different, this means also the mechanism in a person's perception is a bit different. And thinking about it, it's not that stealing a car and downloading stuff are exactly the same thing. There are so many ways of "stealing", and the question changes if you consider the term according to its literal or non-literal meaning. The slogan - YOU WOULDNT STEAL X - can be effective for people who don't download or who have never downloaded anything in their lives, but its impact is none on everybody else, also because it is so very simplistic and, as a result, ludicrous.

PS: not that piracy without grog is a good thing, anyway...
Wise words, very nicely said indeed.

Vincere Aut Mori
Berserker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 09:02 AM   #6
Hylas
Now or Never

Hylas is on a distinguished road
The big companies do as they wish, making people pay inflated prices that have nothing to do with the actual object you buy; especially in Europe prices are higher for entertainment. That's stealing, too. But who's going to make an ad saying "You wouldn't rob your neighbor!" to scare the leaders or the marketing experts of the companies? Noboby. I doubt they would be so easily scared.

I think they make a mistake trying to demonize the downloading and the filesharing. They should punish those that are profiting from piracy, those who actually sell counterfeit products, not a teenager who wants to see tha latest movie and downloads it because his parents can't give him enough money to buy a ticket or a DVD because the prices are too high! The teenager we are talking about won't probably go to see a movie, or more movies, if he can't afford it, and this will happen in any case, with the filesharing resource available or not. Do not forget that maybe, if you give him the chance to see what the movie is really about, he could end buying the original when having the chance. Lower the prices to a number that is close to reality, give people other means to know what the products for sale are about (why making a people waste money on a game they don't like? who wants to spend $50 or more on a game that sucks and that remains unplayed because it's too bad? more demos available for free in stores would be good, and this is just an example) and try to fight piracy as an industry, not as a personal resource.

Last edited by Hylas; Aug 24th, 2006 at 09:13 AM..
Hylas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 02:39 PM   #7
Meiko

Meiko is on a distinguished road
I remember reading a thread by meryl (haven't replied to it, I only read thread and article and I felt very angered at the time) regarding a writer whose work has been exploited by big names in media without being paid. That is also piracy. I don't think filesharing is the worst example of piracy and copyright infringement.
Meiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 11:13 PM   #8
Zebraman

Zebraman is on a distinguished road
Who said I wouldn't steal a car?!
Zebraman is offline   Reply With Quote