Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » General Forums » General Chat

Old May 17th, 2002, 04:21 AM   #1
Spank-A-Thon
Carpe Diem Baby!

Spank-A-Thon is on a distinguished road
The Official PS2Fantasy Episode II Thread *SPOILERS INSIDE*

BIG ASS SPOILER WARNING

Righty ho, now is the time to start discussing ATOC in more detail!

I didn't like all the slow mushy 'Sound of Music' stuff in the middle. It came across as cheesy and made me cringe big time!

I also didn't like how they portrayed Jango and Boba Fett - I feel like some of the mystery has gone now. Seeing a young Boba calling Jango 'Dad' just seemed.. umm, wierd! Explaining Jango cloning himself to make Boba was good and makes sense - but I didn't like seeing the human side of either character. I've always found the mystery behind the Fett character to be immensely interesting - now it's not there so much... ah well!

I'm also not too sure about the chase at the beginning of the film. Whilst it gave us a good look at Coruscant, it seemed to be too long and didn't really advance the story greatly...

I thought Christopher Lee was excellent as Dooku/Tyrannus. He proved to be a much better foe than Maul and I was relieved to see him survive the film.

I though Hayden Wotsisname did not a bad job of portraying Anakin. I liked they was his character developed through the film, displaying anger and fear as the film progessed. Very nicely done I thought.

Natalie Portman was okay I guess - nothing to write home about. If it wasn't for the fact she's an utter babe - she'd be quite forgettable!

And do I even need to mention Yoda? Yoda is the man! His fight was cooooooool! But what was better, was when afterwards he picked his stick up and hobbled off again! I nearly dried laughing!

One question though. I didn't quite catch this in the film... Who was Spihidious (the guy the clones were originally made for)?

- S
Old May 17th, 2002, 04:47 AM   #2
Evil Parrot
The Cyber Jebus!

Evil Parrot is on a distinguished road
Re: The Official PS2Fantasy Episode II Thread *SPOILERS INSIDE*

Quote:
Originally posted by Spank-A-Thon
One question though. I didn't quite catch this in the film... Who was Spihidious (the guy the clones were originally made for)?
I'm not too sure mate, but I'll ask my friends brother, if theres a Star Wars question he can't answer, then were all doomed

I thought Samuel L J was cool, it was like shaft with a lightsaber! 'The partys over'

It was good to see 3po and r2-d2 have a bigger (but not much!) part in the movie, and when 3po has his head whipped off - LOL!

Much fun, and the end of the movie, with all the clones and the mini star destroyers makes me foam at the mouth for episode III
Old May 17th, 2002, 06:04 AM   #3
Faile
ys.

Faile is on a distinguished road
i would have posted something on episode 2 earlier but was struck by a horrible illness . grr . anyway, i saw episode II at midnight in the uk too . which was natty .
and oddly strange

and the cinema i went to had the guy who wrote the script with George Lucas appearing and answering questions which was natty. except he gave things away. but he was cool . people asked him some natty questions about the film

Anakin was portrayed well after a while . you kinda like him more as the film goes on .

i think the guys the clones were made for, the mysterious dead jedi guy if probally an alter ego of dooku or something . and also in the next film count dooku becomes darth something . i know that much . otherwise my mind in its feverish state has driven other information out . i remember the film being good . must see it again

www.catherineandtheowl.com

purr. miaow. hiss.
Faile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2002, 06:06 AM   #4
Sleazy P Martini

Sleazy P Martini is on a distinguished road
Count Dooku was excellent. I thought it was cool how he lopped off Anakins arm. I loved the whole droid factory scene...but R2 with rockets??? Oh well. The love story did drag I found and I was a little dissapointed in the Obi/Jango fight as they showed most of it in the trailers. And I was so happy to see how small Jar Jar's part was. The best was Yoda...I've waited a long time to see that! I could go on but I have to get to class.
Old May 17th, 2002, 07:14 AM   #5
Infernal Mass
pariah

Infernal Mass is on a distinguished road

I hadn't planned on seeing Star Wars Episode 2: Attack Of The Clones until perhaps 2 weeks after opening day release, but a surprisingly moderate crowd at noon compelled a friend and I to watch the film today.

Some thoughts on the film. The good and the bad. First, the bad points.

The bad:
(1) Computer Generated Imagery Overkill

While CGI has done wonders for special effects, one is left with the impression that Attack Of The Clones is mostly computer imagery with a few humans added in the movie. In a few scenes, the CGI isn't very convincing: when Anakin is riding an animal on Naboo and falls down, for example.

(2) Yoda

This is closely related to the first point.
In Attack of the Clones, Yoda was exclusively a computer generated image.
While understandable for some of the film (lightsaber duel with the Count), at times it looked absurd (the meeting with Supreme Chancellor Palpetine). The film would have been better served had Yoda been portrayed using a puppet for some scenes.

(3) The Romance between Anakin and Padme.

The dialogue between Anakin and Padme was corny in the extreme. At no time was I convinced of a genuine love interest developing between them. Contrast this with Leia and Han in The Empire Strikes Back and one sees the enormity in the difference. Natalie Portman only confirms how horrid a choice she was for a role in the Star Wars saga.

(4) Slow Development.

The movie moves at a seemingly glacial pace for the first hour. Much of this time is used to establish the plot, but one wonders if Lucas loses some of the audience for the much improved second half of the film.

The good

(1) Count Dooku (Darth Tyrannous)

Here is a Sith worthy of the name. This villian was genuinely powerful as evidenced by his relatively easy handling of a Jedi Knight (Obi-Wan) and a powerful Padawan (Anakin). Christopher Lee must be commended for a first rate effort.

(2) Jar Jar's diminished role

Jar Jar Binks had perhaps 5 minutes of screen time. Lucas apparently heard the howls from Star Wars fans. It was perhaps fitting that Jar Jar was the one who proposed extending emergency powers to the Supreme Chancellor.

(3) Anakin's meeting with his mother.

This scene really does an admirable job of conveying the simmering fury within Anakin. When he finally finds his mother, it is too late to save her life. He unleashes his anger indiscriminately on a Tusken Raider outpost, with women and children among his victims. Good foreshadowing of his eventual path down the darkside of the force.

(4) The Gladiator Battle.

This truly gigantic clash makes waiting for the movie to develop nearly worth the trouble. Jedi, droid fighters, and clone warriors battle in a hyper free-for-all that puts the " T " in thrilling.

(5) The story.

Although executed unevenly, the story is a well conceived. One can appreciate how manipulative Darth Sidious/Senator Palpatine is when one considers that he helped to instigate the separatist revolt which he then uses to bolster his authority in the Republic. The Republic is corrupted from within and will transform into The Empire with almost no one noticing.

Thus concludes some of my initial thoughts on Attack Of The Clones. Perhaps others will care to comment and offer their own insights.

Infernal Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2002, 11:53 AM   #6
007_JamesBond
Angel of Darkness

007_JamesBond is on a distinguished road
I like the movie and all but like said before the thing with Jengo Fett was kind of weired and they should have made him more mysterious

If Jengo Fett is bad and all why did he clone himself for the Army of the Republic?

victory comes to those who want it the most

i am only mearly surviving
007_JamesBond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2002, 12:33 PM   #7
Uchiha Sasuke
Cursed

Uchiha Sasuke is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by 007_JamesBond
I like the movie and all but like said before the thing with Jengo Fett was kind of weired and they should have made him more mysterious

If Jengo Fett is bad and all why did he clone himself for the Army of the Republic?
Manily because he worked for dooku and he was in line with darth sidious.There all in on it.

~The Official Ps2Fantasy Ninja~

~A Life Without Love, Is No Life At All~

Social Networks
Uchiha Sasuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2002, 01:06 PM   #8
trunks69420
Now Im Nothing

trunks69420 is on a distinguished road
I personally loved this movie!! My favorite parts are either w/ yoda, or when Anakin went nuts on the Tusken raiders and shows us his start to the darkside.
Yoda's fight was awesome, he showed Dooku a thing or two. I never thought that 3 years would make such a difference in special effects, but I stand corrected. This movie was really well done, w/ only a little bit of time that was slow, but all of it was important. Great job George Lucas!

five vicodin chased with a shot of clarity...
trunks69420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2002, 05:32 PM   #9
Cannibal Clown
Taijutsu Master

Cannibal Clown is on a distinguished road
I also think that the Yoda battle was the best part of the movie. I laughed my ass off!

And up above, the question about who darth sidious was, he's the eperor, from the original episodes, who is actually**************** in desguise. I'm not going to say who he is, because some of you guys still might not know yet, and I don't want to spoil it.

I also loved the part where they showed the plans for the death star. 007 laughed at me when after they said that they had their ultimate weapon planns complete, and I said it was the death star. Then he stopped laughing when he found out I was serious and a holographic image of the death star popped up. I liked that part because it intertwined with memories of the old movies, and made the series finally seem to be one of the same.

That was cool.

Cannibal Clown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2002, 07:26 PM   #10
007_JamesBond
Angel of Darkness

007_JamesBond is on a distinguished road
I remember Yoda too CC, he was the coolest, ha ha ha
also I know how much you love C3P0 especially towards the end, lol

victory comes to those who want it the most

i am only mearly surviving
007_JamesBond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2002, 11:18 PM   #11
BlackThornn
Teacher Banzai

BlackThornn is on a distinguished road
Just got back from seeing it.. Outstanding movie, truly. I've gotten over the "giddyness" enough to realize the few flaws the movie has (as far as I could see though)

The Bad-

C-3PO's head being severed then reattatched to a battledroid body was relatively amusing, but very out of place in a battle scene. Not only a battle scene but a part of the movie in which a substantial percentage of the Jedi perish. (there are 200+ at the start, perhaps a couple of dozen tops at the end.. less if you count losses from Republic Transports being shot down during the main battle).

As Spank said, the movie lagged a little bit in the middle, which was mainly devoted to plot development and illustrating the romance between Anakin and Padme.

Natalie Portman's acting as Padme Amidala was.. well, simply standard. If she weren't such a babe she would be totally forgettable, again as Spank said.

Anakin's ungainly robotic hand at the end of the movie does not make much sense to me. That is if it was the "final" hand. I do not see how he could wield a lightsaber at all to fight the climactic battle of Apprentice versus Master in Episode III. The first trilogy is after a technological degredation caused by the tyrrannical rule of the Empire. As much is stated by Lucas himself, probably covering his bum for making the second trilogy first and the first trilogy second.

The (Very) Good-

Excellent foreshadowing of Anakin's eventual turn to the dark side when his mother dies and he slaughters that Tuscan Raider camp. That coupled with the obvious melt-down he has about it afterward make it clear that he isn't just evil all the sudden.

The Arena battle with all the Jedi.. Absolutely amazing. I was sitting jaw-agape the entire scene. Though it shut a couple of times as 3PO apologized as he shot at jedi.. -_- That left a sour aftertaste, but overall it was very well done.

Now.. The big Clone Battle. WOW! I was straining to take all that in. It was amazing, seriously. The sheer scale of it was something to be applauded.. and I thought the battle of Hoth was big. That was a skirmish compared to this.

The Coruscant chase.. Pretty much pure eye candy, but still great. Gave the audience a great tour of coruscant.

The acting, besides Nat Portman, was all very very good. Given the kind of cardboard dialouge lucas and his writers tend to make sometime this is quite an accomplishment indeed. Ewan did a very good job of incorperating more Ben Kenobi into his Obi-wan character. Hayden Christensen also does an exceptional job playing Anakin, the "whining" so many other people seem to be *****ing about is just good acting.. If you were a 18-19 year old with such abilities as he has then you'd be arrogant and jealous of your "restraining" mentor as well.

George could have made any movie and had it be better overall than Episode I, but here he made a movie that's better than a whole bunch of the stuff that is out/slated to come out for a while now.

9 out of 10 is my rating.

I am the Thornn in your side.

The Matrix has you.
BlackThornn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2002, 02:48 PM   #12
JC Denton
HERO!

JC Denton is on a distinguished road
Re: The Official PS2Fantasy Episode II Thread *SPOILERS INSIDE*

Quote:
Originally posted by Spank-A-Thon
And do I even need to mention Yoda? Yoda is the man! His fight was cooooooool! But what was better, was when afterwards he picked his stick up and hobbled off again! I nearly dried laughing!
- S
ahhh yoda was amazing, that was the best bit he was bounceing off the celling and stuff, i cant wait for the nest one!!!
the fight scenes in generall i thought were great especially when there was the big battle between all the jedis and the droids.
and i loved it because some bits made you say ohhh thats why that happend in another episode, like when annakin gets his arm chopped off, because darth vader gets his arm chopped off buy luke in ep. 6, and you see it is robotic, this film showed why.
and the whole thing about the plans for the death star, personnaly though this film was not as good as ep. 5 and 6, even though the special effects were a million times better, thats probaly because of the novelty of ep 5+6 and that has worn of now.

it was still brilliant though,

is count dooku the same guy as darth tyrannus, is that just his dark side name. ?
Old May 19th, 2002, 01:28 AM   #13
DragonSphere
Beneath the Shadow

DragonSphere is on a distinguished road
Yes, Count Dooku and Darth/Lord Tyrrannus are one in the same.

I myself just came back from watching the moving about a few hours ago. I thought it was an excellent movie, a little better than Phantom Menace. But like most of you said, the love story between Anakin and Padme (Amidala) did drag down the movie a little during the middle and as Kabuki Magnifico posted, wasn't very convincing.

Some of my highlights from AOTC include:
Battle with Yoda- We finally get to see the most powerful Jedi duel with a lightsaber. Man he's fast!

Arena/Land Battle on Geyonosis- It was really cool to see dozens of Jedi Knights fighting against the enemy droids and the clone soldiers helping them out.

R-2 and C-3PO- Their comedic performances were very entertaining at times; especially during the battle scenes against the droid army.

Death Star Hologram- I don't know about you guys, but I never saw this coming. It surprised me of how they were planning the construction of the Death Star this early in Episode II.

Darth Tyrannus/Count Dooku- He is indeed a villain worthy of the Sith name. (BTW, do any of you know why his lightsaber handle was bent? Is there a reason or is that just his trademark, like how Darth Maul had a 2-way lightsaber?)

And as for my favorite quote:
"Why do I feel you'll be the death of me?"
-Obi Wan Kinobi talking to Anakin while entering the bar.
DragonSphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2002, 12:33 PM   #14
Mana
Girlfriend of Steel

Mana is on a distinguished road
Just one question: it's kinda clear that Palpatine is the master of Sith and he's at the same time working for the Republic.
So it seems both the clones army and the droids army are his weapons to get the power and create the future empire.
The clones soldiers are the same sodiers of the last episodes, I think, but where did the droids go? I don't remember the droids in Episodes 4, 5 and 6.

Thanks Fortune for the banner ^__^
Mana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2002, 01:15 PM   #15
Sleazy P Martini

Quote:
Originally posted by Mana
but where did the droids go? I don't remember the droids in Episodes 4, 5 and 6.
Palpatine needs an army to take over the republic. In order to get an army, he needs an enemy to the rebublic. Hence the seperatists and their droid army. Palpatine will use the clones to defeat the droid army, and then will use them to destroy the rebublic and the Jedi. Both sides are under his control and he uses them to gain political power. Well thats my "guess" at what is the plan. I could be wrong.
Old May 20th, 2002, 03:56 PM   #16
Uchiha Sasuke
Cursed

Uchiha Sasuke is on a distinguished road
Yeah sleazy is right.In episode 3 expect to see the droids completely wiped out by the clone army which are actually the storm troopers in episodes 4 5 6

~The Official Ps2Fantasy Ninja~

~A Life Without Love, Is No Life At All~

Social Networks
Uchiha Sasuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2002, 08:45 PM   #17
Rei
EVA 00 Pilot

Rei is on a distinguished road
I'd like to ask another question:
Why in your opinion C3-PO in episode IV seems to not remember Luke's house, even if some years ago he was living there? Any ideas?
Rei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2002, 08:54 PM   #18
Sleazy P Martini

C3PO and R2D2 were written into the prequels just so people could relate to the old Star Wars. I'm sure Lucas will have something happen like C3PO being sold and having his memory erased or something like that.
Old May 20th, 2002, 08:57 PM   #19
Rei
EVA 00 Pilot

Rei is on a distinguished road
Yeah, I think the same thing. There must be a reason we still don't know about that. Lucas can't forget to explain this detail
Rei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2002, 09:14 PM   #20
Sleazy P Martini

The one part on the film that really looked bad to me was when threepio fell in the droid factory and that other flying robot grabbed him. What was with the sudden flexibility in threepio???? I wish that scene had ended on the cutting room floor.