Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » General Forums » General Chat

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 11:56 PM   #1
happy_doughnut
just a rolling stone

happy_doughnut is on a distinguished road
Angry Online Relationships.

I was just curious about your thoughts and comments on this issue. Do you guys think it's possible for people who "met" online and live far apart from one another, to have a relationship and have it actually work out? Or do you think it's ridiculous? I thought it was crazy because you don't even get to see the person or anything so how could it be possible to like them? What do you think?
happy_doughnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2002, 12:13 AM   #2
Infernal Mass
pariah

Infernal Mass is on a distinguished road
definately ridiculous..that's like movie of the week stuff.
no offense to anyone who has found true love via cyberspace

ya know what this reminds me of..that cheesy FF11 advertisment where it say fall in love on Final Fantasy or something like that..

nothing like a chasing a bunch of malboros around for a date eh?..and a nice chocobo ride into the sunset..
Infernal Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2002, 12:14 AM   #3
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

merylsilverburg is on a distinguished road
It's very possible for online relationships to work out. Even though you've never seen the person, once you get to know them quite well, their appearance might not look so bad because you know their personalities already. For example, if I saw this guy who looked really uptight, I might think that he's kinda weird and moody. But, if I talked to him online first and get to know him better, and then see his picture, he might not look like that uptight guy that he seems when you first see him. I hope that made sense. That's why I think sometimes, online relationships are kinda cool, because you know what the other person is like, instead of judging them for their appearances the first time.
merylsilverburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2002, 12:17 AM   #4
DragonSphere
Beneath the Shadow

DragonSphere is on a distinguished road
For awhile, maybe, yes; it might work if both the people are up to it. Otherwise, discussions could get repititive and boring, thus the relationship would fade away. And I think it would be kind of hard to keep a serious relationship online because while you can see their appaearance in pictures that they may send you, you wouldn't really know what their true emotions and actions would be like. Afterall, words alone are not enough to express your love to someone.
DragonSphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2002, 12:17 AM   #5
Infernal Mass
pariah

Thumbs up

good point ..but you gotta admit it's borderline corny.
Old Apr 19th, 2002, 12:26 AM   #6
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

Yeah, you've got a point, DragonSphere. Well, I see both ways to this, I mean you either can or can't. It really depends on the person and if the two of you are meant to be together. Otherwise, the relationship wouldn't work. So, it really goes both ways.
Old Apr 19th, 2002, 05:04 AM   #7
MakgSnake

MakgSnake is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up It Does!.!

Well, Online Relationship Does Work, If People Want Them To Work. I Know Alots Of Friends Who Has Worked Out On It!.! But Its Painful To Look At Them, I Mean, They Get Soo Frustrated.

But If Thats What Makes Them Happy....I Say Go Ahead. Cause Happiness Is The Most Important Thing..........In LIFE!.!
Old Apr 19th, 2002, 04:07 PM   #8
JC Denton
HERO!

JC Denton is on a distinguished road
its great if it works but i would say that only a few people a capable of keeping up a long distance online relationship. But if you are the perfect match then it will probably strengthen the relationdhip because looks dont come into the equation. If you meet them that is. if you can not ever meet them then it is similar to having a pen freind which is not to unusual.
Old Apr 19th, 2002, 04:38 PM   #9
Pu the Owl
Useless Oracle™

Pu the Owl is on a distinguished road
I know some people involved in online relationships, and it seems they really work perfectly.
Depends on the persons and also on the maturity of the ones involved in this kind of relationship.
Pu the Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2002, 04:44 PM   #10
IcyMourdor
Cream Puff

IcyMourdor is on a distinguished road
I believe that they can work. If the two people are truly in "love" with each other, then it can happen. I probably won't have the will power to hold on to someone over the net, but I could be wrong. It all depends on who she is.
Old Apr 19th, 2002, 05:32 PM   #11
Infernal Mass
pariah

yes i am certain that it depends on the people involved and the needs..i take the corny part back becausei remember seeing on the news,,two people getting married after meeting online ..thus proving that they do work..it's gotta be a rare occurance though.
Old Apr 19th, 2002, 05:39 PM   #12
Soul Angel

Soul Angel is on a distinguished road
I believe online relationships can work, but it depends on the will power and what the two people want in this relationship?

"I'm back! But for how long who knows? But PS2Fantasy will always be on my mind!"
Soul Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2002, 03:34 AM   #13
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

Quote:
Originally posted by goodman
I corresponded with a nice ladie this Fall who lives up in Canada for a few months. I came very close to going up and visiting with her and her family, even got a passport to go up there. But in talking with her enough and realizing what her priorities in life were, i couldnt justify going to see her. She almost immediately met someone and started seeing him. So, i expect a long distance relationship would take a very special situation to work, its hard enough talking to local women, no one really wants to make the effort it takes to sincerely seek a new relationship with someone.
I'm sorry things didn't work out between you and the online woman, goodman. Yes, online relationships can work sometimes, but like you said, it takes a special situation and if it's destiny for the two of you to meet, in order for it to happen. It is always difficult to meet people locally, so that's why I think online relationships can work sometimes. Like what I mentioned before, one is able to get to know the other person better, without fear of being embarrassed, unlike mustering up the courage to talk to the person you feel attracted to in person.
Old Apr 20th, 2002, 06:28 AM   #14
Yuna
Simple and clean

Yuna is on a distinguished road
I don't believe in that online stuff. Why you ask?
1) Because the person can carefully think about what to type
2) You can never be sure what their REAL emotions are
3) You can't know what they are like (I can "censor" people by looking in their eyes)

There, my 2 Cents.
Yuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2002, 02:14 PM   #15
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

I'm not saying I'm an expert on relationships or anything, and even though I'm not older than some of you, I still understand the process of being in a relationship and the work put into it. Like I said before, online relationships can work, if it's meant to be, otherwise meeting someone face to face is fine too. It really depends on the situation and the people. I was just pointing out reasons why online relationships can work, but I didn't say that relationships online is the only way to go. Yuna's points are very good too, and I agree with her because she's right, the person can think about what to type and you can't really see their emotions online. So, I'm just going to make this statement now, so no one will mistaken me in the future: Online relationships can either work or not. It depends on the people and the situation. If it works, then that's terrific. If it doesn't, I'm sorry, but move on and keep trying or meet people locally.
Old Apr 20th, 2002, 02:24 PM   #16
happy_doughnut
just a rolling stone

happy_doughnut is on a distinguished road
Angry

Yeah, I agree. It would certainly take a lot of dedication and want to be able to keep an online relationship. I think in the majority of cases, they fail but there are a few that do work out. In fact, one of my friends parents met this way. However, like Yuna said, you can never besure of what the person really feels and you really are taking a risk because you don't know if what they are saying is in fact true.
Also, taking in mind the Greek way of "love" there are 3:

"Love" (platonic love, friendly love, fatherly love) is called "Agapi".

"To be in love" (loving your wife, your mate) is called "Erotas".

"Lust" is called "Pothos".

So you see, if you love someone and do not lust them, you can only love them in the Agapi form that being as a sister, brother or friend.

If you only lust the person, you don't love them in the Erotas type of way because you are only attracted to them in a physically way, not sentimentaly.

In other words, "love" over the internet is very hard to come by because I think that true love is a combination of many things, not just text. ^_^
happy_doughnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2002, 10:11 PM   #17
Mercury Shadow
Calculating Infinity

Mercury Shadow is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by merylsilverburg
It's very possible for online relationships to work out. Even though you've never seen the person, once you get to know them quite well, their appearance might not look so bad because you know their personalities already. For example, if I saw this guy who looked really uptight, I might think that he's kinda weird and moody. But, if I talked to him online first and get to know him better, and then see his picture, he might not look like that uptight guy that he seems when you first see him. I hope that made sense. That's why I think sometimes, online relationships are kinda cool, because you know what the other person is like, instead of judging them for their appearances the first time.
I totally agree with meryl... if you do meet someone online, you start to like them for their personality, not their looks.

But back to the topic, I don't think it could work for a long term relationship... You would have to live close to the other person because just talking to them online isn't enough.

I'm Nobody's Weasel
Mercury Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 02:23 PM   #18
Ruby Moon
The Cynical Clone

Ruby Moon is on a distinguished road
I've been involved once in an online relationship.
It worked perfectly and it lasted 8 months, or more.

You're probably wondering why it didn't last more.
The guy who was my boyfriend had some very hard troubles with his family and couldn't be online as much as before. We haven't talked to each other for 5 months. It's really bad when you love someone and you can't contact him whenever you want, for days or weeks and you don't know if he's ok or not. We decided to broke up on the phone, because of this reason.
We still are good friends though.
Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 06:27 PM   #19
Pu the Owl
Useless Oracle™

Ruby, I'm sorry you had to end your relationship for that reason. It's really sad
But it's good you're still a good friend to that guy.
At least there's a positive aspect in this situation.
Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 09:21 PM   #20
Pu the Owl
Useless Oracle™

Questions and doubts like these ones are the same you should ask yourself also for non-online relationships.
In fact I don't think everyone can say to know one person from the "real life" more than one met online only because you know his/her face, how he/she moves, the tone of his/her voice or stuff like this, that is usually all we really see in other persons before we say we know them.