Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » General Forums » Comics And Anime Forum

Old Mar 30th, 2003, 05:19 PM   #1
Reid
.red house.

Reid is on a distinguished road
Talking Rah Xephon

What a tremendous show.

It's also by BONES, the team that came from working on Cowboy Bebop and are currently working on Wolf's Rain.

If anyone likes their style then this show would be for you. It has music by Yoko Kanno worked on both of the aforementioned shows and has a sort of Neon Genesis Evangelion type of story to it, although not quite so heavy on mech battles.

'Anyone else seen this?
Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2003, 08:24 PM   #2
Cannibal Clown
Taijutsu Master

Cannibal Clown is on a distinguished road
Well after I've heard so much about this series, and how great it was, and of how the work was done by BONES, from my fav, Cowboy Bebop, like Reid mentioned, I was anticipating seeing it a lot. I read up on it and thought that the story wasn't all that intruiging, but i liked the character and mech designs, and the music also looked quite spectacular, with help from not only Yoko Kanno, but another one of my favorites, Maaya Sakamoto. Then, after recieving my fifth issue of NewType magazine, I was fortunate that the bonus DVD for that issue was the first episode of RahXephon. I watched it, and didn't find it all that bad. It was a sample DVD, with only the first episode, and it was in English, so it was a bitof a let down. But the voices were still quite good, and the animation was very smooth and constant. But since I was only allowed to see the first episode, I didn't get too much out of it, having it end as Rah was awakening. But it does look somewhat appealing, and if I ever get to it, I may just consider buying the series. But intill then, sorry buddy, that's all I can say about the show. Wish I saw more and could give a bit more input, but nope. Oh well, maybe another time.

Cannibal Clown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2003, 12:56 AM   #3
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

merylsilverburg is on a distinguished road
I've heard about this series a long time ago, when it was first released in Japan (my info was provided by the Japanese Newtype mag). Since it had a lot of mecha designs, it didn't seem all too appealing to me, but I did want to see it. However, since it wasn't on my "Priority List", I never got a chance to check it out. But, I plan on doing so soon...maybe if the DVD is released in the US, I'll rent it or something.

"Have a little priest" ~ Mrs. Lovett

"Grim Reaper, you could not get the women? What was the problem? Didn't you reap them with your grim reaping equipment?"

"I tried that but the women, they all know hopscotch" ~ Eddie Izzard

You Can Help

merylsilverburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2003, 12:04 AM   #4
happy_doughnut
just a rolling stone

happy_doughnut is on a distinguished road
Angry

I've only seen the first Vol. of the series, since it's the only one that's been released thus far, I think.

So far, this series has managed to really catch my attention.
I'm always up for some good mecha battles, so I kinda decided to watch this anime under that light.
However, during the first couple of episodes, I realized it's not just about metal banging off one another, but about a story which undoubtedly has set off greatly, and hopefully will end with the same grace.

With that being said, yes; I think RahXephon will be an exceptional show, since at a very soon time, the story is simply great.

The visuals are something this anime really has on its good side. Some designs are simple beautiful, whereas others kinda lack.
I think that for the most part, Studio Bones has done an excellent job combining a great story, good visual, and a uber cool OST.

Take in mind that I've only seen the first 5 episodes, so I may be way ahead of myself, but I doubt it. I think this story has a lot of potential, from what I've seen.
So far, I'm lovin' it .

And on a side note, the release date for the second Vol. is scheduled for May 9, I think.
happy_doughnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2003, 01:31 PM   #5
Big Dude
mwahahaha...

Big Dude is on a distinguished road
Finally! Someone made a thread on this anime!
I finished watching this one about 2 weeks ago... the download bug lasts a long time... It is vary good, now, one of my vary faveorites. I am just stating to watch Eva and finding they are vary similar in the aspect that there are only sertian people capable of piolating them, them being the mecha, and strange monsters attacking. And an evan more intresting fact is they run along the same time lines. This is a very good series, if you liked Eva Ied recomend this one. And there is suppose to be a RahXephon movie coming out sometime this year, but that may just be in Japan or where ever, so next year, yay.
Old May 6th, 2003, 02:09 PM   #6
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

merylsilverburg is on a distinguished road
Well, yesterday I finally saw 5 episodes of Rahxephon and....I didn't like it. Like everyone else said, it was too similar to Evangelion and while I did like Eva, it's not one of my favorites....so seeing Rahxephon was almost like watching Eva all over again. The characters are very close to some of the Eva characters; Megumi is a toned-down version of Asuka, Hirota (the woman who almost looks like Faye Valentine) is similar to Katsuragi, the girl Quon is almost like Rei (except a bit more annoying). And the entire cast is nearly all female with the main charcter being a guy. Ayato is much better than Shinji, IMO so I was able to tolerate him a bit more.

The mecha designs are beautiful though. I especially like Rahxephon...it looks so angelic, which is nice.

The plot was, of course, confusing at first but BONES did a nice job splitting the story up so that it compels you to watch the next episode to get more of what Rahxephon is and the world Ayato is living in. However, despite all these good points, I don't think I'll watch this series again.

"Have a little priest" ~ Mrs. Lovett

"Grim Reaper, you could not get the women? What was the problem? Didn't you reap them with your grim reaping equipment?"

"I tried that but the women, they all know hopscotch" ~ Eddie Izzard

You Can Help

merylsilverburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2003, 08:42 PM   #7
happy_doughnut
just a rolling stone

happy_doughnut is on a distinguished road
Angry SPOILERS!!

Quote:
Originally posted by merylsilverburg

Like everyone else said, it was too similar to Evangelion and while I did like Eva, it's not one of my favorites....so seeing Rahxephon was almost like watching Eva all over again.
Yes, that's true in some ways. Sure on the surface the characters personalties do seem pretty similar, and in your post you equated characters with each other. It may very well be that those characters could have been based on one another. You gave some pretty general reasoning as to why each character is based on which and I would like to point out some differences.

Quote:
Megumi is a toned-down version of Asuka
Yeah, these two are pretty similar, but Megumi seems to just be well, annoying, whereas Azuka aspires to be superior to Shinji, and Megumi doesn't.

Quote:
Hirota (the woman who almost looks like Faye Valentine)
Hem ?
Hirota ? Do you mean Elvy ?

Quote:
the girl Quon is almost like Rei
I don't think Quon was really a silent person, mysterious of course, but not silent. She seemed pretty outgoing most of the show.

Quote:
Ayato is much better than Shinji
Yep.
There's also some noticable diferences that deferenciate them.
Shinji is human, Ayato is not.
Shinji often acts cowardly, Ayato doesn't show cowardice in the series.

The characters here have more layers than an onion, cool mecha designs and battles, and a complex story full of romance, intrigue, and philosophical and metaphysical concepts so esoteric it's amazing.

happy_doughnut is offline   Reply With Quote