Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » General Forums » General Chat

View Poll Results: Would you pay a 1.5-2.0$ monthly fee to access this website and the forums?
Yes, absolutely. 22 43.14%
No I don't want - No I can't 29 56.86%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 05:32 PM   #81
dan da man
Talk to the hand

dan da man is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by David

But I got an idea with this also, if we sented more than $2, example: say like...$6, and you could take off 2 months from paying you in advance of the $6, because your paying for this month, that would be $2, then what I mean of advance payment, was the $4 left would be able to cover you for couple of more months. I hope I didn't confuse you guys with my idea.
wouldnt that be more simpler if u said can we pay every 3 months well that is what your saying but more confusing.
Old Jan 13th, 2003, 06:12 PM   #82
Sword 4 Hire
Retired...

Sword 4 Hire is on a distinguished road
Sure I'll pay...
Old Jan 13th, 2003, 06:28 PM   #83
Matrix
The Messiah

Matrix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Harry

I'd be not too sure about the "long time", but thanks for answering Matrix's question. Matrix: is not our fault, unfortunately.

I'll try to explain a complex thing in two words, if you are interested.

Three-four years ago we would have made several thousands of dollars with our current impressions (number of pages read by our visitors) and daily unique visitors. Advertisers used to paid "impressions" - for example, they were willing to pay 10$ (and much more) every 1,000 views of their banners. Let's say we currently have 40,000 daily pageviews on Ps2Fantasy.com - we would have been able to make 400$ dollars, daily.

Little by little, bigger companies and advertising networks started to offer lower rates for advertising on the Internet - after all, unlike smaller and medium websites, they were selling packages of millions of monthly impressions. The next step was offering pay-per-click and then pay-per-performance campaigns, that nowadays represent the standard: basically the advertiser pays only if a user buy something through a website. For example, you click on Ebay's banner, you register at Ebay, and then you buy something - at that point, we should receive let's say $4.00, but no earlier than one month after your purchase.

But this isn't the true meaning of advertising: on magazines, TV and radio stations, the true power of advertising is that you can let others know about your brand, your products, your name. Ad networks let advertisers create their rules on the Internet, and now we are part of a mechanism we - the small/medium websites - haven't created, but we've stupidly supported. They have turned us into their 24/24 365/365 risk-free online shops, and unluckily just a bunch of readers buys something by clicking on the banners in content-based websites - I mean, if you want to buy a game online, you just type the URL of your favorite online shop and you buy it.

So, there are less funds than many years ago, but owners of websites must provide good content to attract visitors, and they must pay increasingly higher rates to mantain their servers, pay bandwidth*, and all the rest.

*bandwidth - Bandwidth is the amount of data a website transfers over the Net. Basically, every single picture you see in this page consumes bandwidth, every single screenshot consumes bandwidth, every single page you see consumes bandwidth that we must pay.
thanks for explaining some stuff, I do know what bandwidth is of course( some people doen't though!!!!!!)
Old Jan 13th, 2003, 06:37 PM   #84
David
Need a Bouncer?

David is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted By Dan Da Man

wouldnt that be more simpler if u said can we pay every 3 months well that is what your saying but more confusing.
No, what I meant was that, we could pay advance, like I said, if we were to pay $2 a month to be in this awesome site, I wanna know if it's acceptable to pay $2 more to pay for the next month in advance. That is my idea.

But your close to my question Dan.

0===(===================>

To be forgotten is worse than death...
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2003, 08:10 PM   #85
Harry
Administrator

Harry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud of
Hey Suzuki,

I know you wanted to pay, I think you were the one who talked about a debit card.

There is no problem in creating several ways to pay subscriptions but of course we can't accept money orders or cheques of just $2, that would be ridiculous, considering we'd have to pay almost the same amount in taxes.

As I said previously, if we ever decide to ask our readers and members to pay a monthly fee, we'll undoubtedly have 6 months-9 months-12 months plans - after all we are speaking of just 10-12 dollars for 6 months! Of course, people with a credit card have the advantage of receiving their new password immediately.

To everyone who yelled at Ruby: first of all, you shouldn't have treated her in that way, and you should all send her an "I'm sorry" PM.

Then, you should've read her post more carefully: she was speaking to the ones who just said "I don't have two dollars" - comparing this answer with the posts in the "Christmas" thread could be kinda irritating for a member who loves this website. Ruby said nothing to the people with no credit card or to the ones who admitted they don't want to pay at all.

There's nothing bad in just saying "no I don't want to pay", because I understand that for many of you this is just a website among other websites, a forum among other forums. That's ok, that's normal, you know. I also have to trust those who said they don't have credit cards, even if I know that a couple of you are used to online shopping.

But I have some difficulty in appreciating those who said "I'd like to pay but I don't have $2", when we all know that you couldn't even have a Internet connection if you were unable to grab $2 in a whole month. You should just say: "I don't want to pay" - that would be sincere, and I appreciate sincerity.

Finally; mark0, there are few things that irritate me more than males who hurl idiotic insults against a girl, like you did, especially if they really have no reason to use them. Nobody insulted you, and you have no right of offending a person who is just discussing (and let me say, she had stronger points than you). These forums are for having fun, and nobody has the right to ruin the time people spend in here.
Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2003, 08:17 PM   #86
Harry
Administrator

Harry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally posted by goodman

Its mainly the wording im referring to, if Ruby made what you consider a smart ass comment, then it was out of her care for the people who run this site and the fact that people arent stepping up and showing concern as some of us would expect if everyone cared enough. Hey, if you can come up with $2 a month, then all is cool, it will be figured out from there. People are making it seem like its a hard thing, though, and its as hard as pulling two dollars out of your pocket. Just that hard, not any more.
Thanks Fred,

you said it better than me!
Old Jan 13th, 2003, 08:24 PM   #87
mark0™
Extinct.

mark0™ is on a distinguished road
And to tell you the truth, I feel Ruby, Goodman and yourself are putting on a little presurre to make these kids pay up, IMO, I'm feeling a big peer pressure here to pay, and I think thats bad for a site with a strong pressence of easily persuaded children, don't you think so?
mark0™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2003, 08:34 PM   #88
Harry
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by mark0

So it's ok for her to make fun of me? Great point Harry, good luck trying to get a lot of uinder 18's to pay subscriptions rates, no matter how small, not everyone can use paypal at their leisure.

And to tell you the truth, I feel Ruby, Goodman and yourself are putting on a little presurre to make these kids pay up, IMO, I'm feeling a big peer pressure here to pay, and I think thats bad for a site with a strong pressence of easily persuaded children, don't you think so?
She's not making fun of you, she said things that were frankly more intelligent than yours.

If you read this thread carefully, we are not forcing anybody to pay, and as I said, we undoubtedly can't transform this website into a pay-for-service place thanks to three more paying kids or thanks to just 18 of our members paying a fee. This poll in the forums was made just to test the reaction of people who "interact" with us. Then, in the forums we don't accept people under the age of 13 (we fully follow the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act, or COPPA), so there aren't real kids.

You shouldn't speak of kids in that way... I mean, there are many, like you and dan da man, who just said "I don't want to pay" - and that's great! I think that "kids" are not as stupid as you want them to be, and I think that you are overreacting in this way because you were unable to show how smart you are against a girl able to express ideas you should read more carefully.

Just to make things clear:

"KIDS", IF YOU ARE READING THIS: DON'T PAY IF YOU DON'T WANT TO PAY, EVER! WE DON'T WANT TO PERSUADE ANYBODY, WE ALSO HATE FEES BUT WE COULD BE FORCED TO INTRODUCE THEM - SO PAY ONLY IF YOU WANT TO VISIT THE WEBSITE OR IF YOU NEED OUR CONTENT OR FORUMS! OTHERWISE, USE THAT MONEY FOR AN ICE-CREAM OR FOR A BETTER WEBSITE!

And mark0, don't feel the pressure to pay because there's really no pressure if you really read this thread. Nobody said anything against people who just don't want to pay - damn, this is just a gaming site, take it easy.
Old Jan 13th, 2003, 08:37 PM   #89
Suzuki_Fanboy

Suzuki_Fanboy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Harry To everyone who yelled at Ruby: first of all, you shouldn't have treated her in that way, and you should all send her an "I'm sorry" PM.
I would do that...but a public apology would be better, and easier.

Ruby, I'm sorry...I was wrong to say that, and I did jump to conclusions. I guess I got a little worked up, but I realize where you are coming from, now that Harry explained it. Once again, I'm sorry.

Also Harry...can you use a debit card on PayPal if you are under 18?
Suzuki_Fanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2003, 08:45 PM   #90
Harry
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Suzuki_Fanboy

I would do that...but a public apology would be better, and easier.

Ruby, I'm sorry...I was wrong to say that, and I did jump to conclusions. I guess I got a little worked up, but I realize where you are coming from, now that Harry explained it. Once again, I'm sorry.

Also Harry...can you use a debit card on PayPal if you are under 18?
Hey Suzuki,

I sincerely don't know... I know that Paypal can issue debit cards for people under 18, but I'll send them an e-mail asking more information.

Btw, you shouldn't think too much about this problem right now... as you see, just a few people want to pay, and they have their good reasons.

Unfortunately, if much more than 50% of forum members - who are "active" in comparison with normal "readers" - have difficulty in paying a fee, the percentage of people who just visit the website willing to pay will be much much lower (I expect 1-2%).
Old Jan 13th, 2003, 08:48 PM   #91
mark0™
Extinct.

lol, ice-cream, but Harry, I know you have the age verification but If I was under 13, I'd just click the born on or before button with no moral remorse, In fract I think I have lied about my age before.

I just wanted to say that some members have put on a little persuasion, but since you've clearly shown any minors on the site what to do and not do considering payment, It's all good.
Old Jan 13th, 2003, 09:00 PM   #92
Harry
Administrator

Quote:

lol, ice-cream, but Harry, I know you have the age verification but If I was under 13, I'd just click the born on or before button with no moral remorse, In fract I think I have lied about my age before.

But no worries ok, the whole thing with Hylas, we sorted it out on our own and I just didnt appreciate you pulling it out from the blue. I just wanted to say that some members have put on a little persuasion, but since you've clearly shown any minors on the site what to do and not do considering payment, It's all good.

And Harry, I'd appreciate it if you'd PM me if you have a problem with anything I've said instead of turning it into a public brawl.
Unfortunately, you can't do anything about that - that's how Internet works, and parents should use software that can protect their children on the Net.

I'm sorry if you were offended by the public brawl, but I didn't know someone deleted the posts, and I found in my PM box three messages of members reporting your offensive "public" post that I unfortunately couldn't check before.
Old Jan 14th, 2003, 08:02 AM   #93
dan da man
Talk to the hand

Quote:

"KIDS", IF YOU ARE READING THIS: DON'T PAY IF YOU DON'T WANT TO PAY, EVER! WE DON'T WANT TO PERSUADE ANYBODY, WE ALSO HATE FEES BUT WE COULD BE FORCED TO INTRODUCE THEM - SO PAY ONLY IF YOU WANT TO VISIT THE WEBSITE OR IF YOU NEED OUR CONTENT OR FORUMS! OTHERWISE, USE THAT MONEY FOR AN ICE-CREAM OR FOR A BETTER WEBSITE!
what the hell harry, that was like saying if u dont want to spend your money here, spend it somewhere else shouting at us,
second i am no kid and i can afford 2 dollars but i dont have a credit card.
but dont get mad at me because! if it does become a pay website im in,
infact this website is such class it should be a pay website IMO!
Old Jan 14th, 2003, 08:59 AM   #94
Faile
ys.

Faile is on a distinguished road
perhaps people are missing the point here. you are not forced to use this website and for the moment it is free.

Fee's may have to be introduced in order to maintain the website, but you are not forced to access this content. so therefore nobody actually has to pay. only if you wish to use this site (which you do, obviously because you are here now)

if you cannot afford to pay in the future, why not click all the adverts here and generate some revenue for the site now ? this would show your appreciation for this site.

www.catherineandtheowl.com

purr. miaow. hiss.
Faile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2003, 09:57 AM   #95
mark0™
Extinct.

Dan, Harry was refering to any under 13 year olds in the site who lied about they're age to get membership. I assume your over the age of 13 right?

All Harry is saying is dont pay because some one else says so, you decide what to do, It's your 2 dollars, do as you wish with it.
Old Jan 14th, 2003, 10:01 AM   #96
dan da man
Talk to the hand

Quote:

Dan, Harry was refering to any under 13 year olds in the site who lied about they're age to get membership. I assume your over the age of 13 right?

All Harry is saying is dont pay because some one else says so, you decide what to do, It's your 2 dollars, do as you wish with it.
yes i am older than 13.

p.s. when is the pay monthly thing starting?
Old Jan 14th, 2003, 10:10 AM   #97
mark0™
Extinct.

Quote:
Originally posted by dan da man
p.s. when is the pay monthly thing starting?
No!!! It's not starting, It's not even planned, It's been said so many times, The site may need to revert to a choice of actions, one of which could be membership fees IF the site continues to not earn enough money to keep the site going! Theres nothing official yet, this is a public opinion on the matter, not an anoucement!
Old Jan 14th, 2003, 10:32 AM   #98
dan da man
Talk to the hand

Quote:

Oh ok then. If that's the only problem, we'll accept international money orders, checks and cash. So you are all in?
but mark0 when harry said that i thought it was going ahead.
Old Jan 14th, 2003, 11:38 AM   #99
Pu the Owl
Useless Oracle™

Pu the Owl is on a distinguished road
Quote:

No!!! It's not starting, It's not even planned
Who are you to tell it's not even planned? Are you a staff member or something like that? For the present moment it's nothing official, but it's not been said that it was not in our plans. Why the poll thread, if it wasn't in our plans at all? Don't get mad at others only because they're posting questions about it, ok? Any kind of question could be useful. You said you won't join in any case, so it's not up to you to reply giving explanations.
Thanks.

Dan, we don't know if this fee will start or not at the moment. If it starts, we can't say when it'll be. Any kind of official announcement regarding the future of the site will be posted here, so you can know what to do when it's time.
Pu the Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2003, 12:16 AM   #100
mark0™
Extinct.

Quote:
Originally posted by Fortune

Who are you to tell it's not even planned? Are you a staff member or something like that? For the present moment it's nothing official,
God-Damn, you keep sayin over and over that It is a suggestion. Thats where I got it from, right here, so unless you have been lying to us all then I am wrong. Because right after you shunned me for saying that you just backed up what I said.

When I say "planned" I didnt meant that it hasn't been thought out yet, I mean you haven't already started to set up a Pay-Pal account or whatever means of payment yet, or have you?