Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » Gaming Forums » Other Consoles

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 12:07 PM   #1
Neo_Soldier28
Si|ent Protector

Neo_Soldier28 is on a distinguished road
Cool Which to get....

I have seen and played the XBOX but now i cant decide you see i have a choice i am going to choose to either get the ps2 adapter and send my money on the online games for ps2 or purchase a XBOX instead what do you guys suggest.
Neo_Soldier28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 2002, 12:42 PM   #2
KraftSLU
Local Xbox Supporter

KraftSLU is on a distinguished road
First you need to ask yourself these questions:

1. Do you have DSL or cable? If not, you're gonna be buying a ps2.
2. If so, look at the list of games, which interests you more? I'll list all the xbox games that are slated to be online since I am more versed in that area, if someone else could post the ps2 ones I'd appreciate it

NFL Fever 2003
Unreal Championship
Brute Force
Tom Clany: Splinter Cell
Halo 2
Project Gotham Racing 2
Phantasy Star Online
Black & White
amped 2
Star Wars: KOTOR
Star Wars: Galaxies

blah blah blah. I can't remember anymore off the top of my head. I do believe xbox is going to be the definitive machine for online first person shooters. And from what I hear they are signing on online sports games developers quicker than anyone else. I wouldn't expect them to have a huge online rpg game base though, as it took them 1/2 a year to get 1 rpg out. Galaxies and KOTOR are probably going to be it for a while Im thinking.
Old Aug 4th, 2002, 12:47 PM   #3
Spank-A-Thon
Carpe Diem Baby!

Spank-A-Thon is on a distinguished road
I think you should also consider whether or not you own a gaming PC..

That's the main thing with me not wanting an X-Box at the moment - there's too many 'PC'-like games for it, and not enough 'console' type games (in my opinion of course).

With already having a DC and PS2, I don't feel the need for another console just yet. And as for the on-line issue, I've been playing on-line games for years on my PC, so the prospect of on-line console gaming is not exactly setting my world on fire...

Ultimately though, it's down to the games. See which machine has the most games that interest you!

- S
Old Aug 4th, 2002, 12:52 PM   #4
KraftSLU
Local Xbox Supporter

Im not getting what you mean by 'pc-like' games... When I think PC gaming I think mouse+keyboard in conjunction with the game. When I think console games I think 'controller'. All of the games coming out for xbox will use the controller end of the spectrum. Not to rag on you, but could you elaborate on 'pc-like' and tell me why xbox games are more 'pc-like' than PS2 or GC's games?
Old Aug 4th, 2002, 01:09 PM   #5
Spank-A-Thon
Carpe Diem Baby!

Quote:
Originally posted by KraftSLU
Im not getting what you mean by 'pc-like' games... When I think PC gaming I think mouse+keyboard in conjunction with the game. When I think console games I think 'controller'. All of the games coming out for xbox will use the controller end of the spectrum. Not to rag on you, but could you elaborate on 'pc-like' and tell me why xbox games are more 'pc-like' than PS2 or GC's games?
Oh, don't get me wrong - the PS2 has more than it's fair share of PC-like games, but the PS2 library is extremely vast so a lower percentage of games are PC-like...

For example, I consider FPS' to be PC games. Why? Cos I'm yet to play a console FPS that is as good as a PC one. Same with RTS'... Games such as Halo, Unreal Championship, Star Wars: Galaxies and so on are game types that traditionally would be at home on a PC. And given that the aforementioned games will come out on PC in one form or another, I have no need to buy an XBox to play them.

And it's the same reason why I have Max Payne, Deus Ex, Half-Life and Quake 3 on my PC rather than my PS2.

Those types of game feel better on my PC. Just like driving, fighting and shoot-em-ups feel better on my PS2 or Dreamcast (and would probably feel better on XBox too).

Having played 'console' games on PC (Res Evil and FFVII spring immediately to mind), they have felt just as 'clumsy' as the PC ports on PSX/PS2 have to me.

But by virtue of the fact that the XBox shares many PC-like features (Intel, Win2K, NVdidia, etc), and hence makes PC ports a helluva lot easier than it would to PS2, means we'll see a lot more PC ports (or games that are PC-esque) appearing on it.

This is not a rag on the XBox, it's a rag on gaming styles.... and put simply, if I want to play PC-like games then I'll buy them for, and play them on, my PC.... Not PS2, XBox or whatever...

- S
Old Aug 4th, 2002, 01:17 PM   #6
KraftSLU
Local Xbox Supporter

Ahh, I see what you mean now. I understand how you feel about that with certain games, but the responsivness of the xbox controller and its general setup will go a long way to bringing certain games to the console system. After playing halo for half a year I can go from nailing head shot after head shot with my rail gun on quake 3 to doing the same thing on halo with a controller.

I think a lot of people are going to be playing online console games not as a replacement for pc online games, but rather to complement it. After all, there is more to offer on a console. When was the last time you had you and 3 friends playing a game on the same computer against other people online? Last time for me was... never. Actually I've never played online with 2 people on the same computer.
Old Aug 4th, 2002, 01:26 PM   #7
Spank-A-Thon
Carpe Diem Baby!

That's the thing - on-line console gaming has to complement PC on-line gaming. For me it has to offer something different and playing the likes of Halo, or Unreal Championship or Timeplitters 2 is not what I'm looking for from on-line console gaming.

Resident Evil on-line sounds intruiging, but I'd like to see stuff like SSX Tricky on-line, or maybe DOA on-line... basically game types that you don't generally find on PC's.

- S
Old Aug 15th, 2002, 12:18 AM   #8
ZeroBeat77
Midnight Club

ZeroBeat77 is on a distinguished road
it's all bout the games, if u like most games in that console then any other console, get that console
ZeroBeat77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2002, 01:35 AM   #9
DragonSphere
Beneath the Shadow

DragonSphere is on a distinguished road
Quote:
2. If so, look at the list of games, which interests you more? I'll list all the xbox games that are slated to be online since I am more versed in that area, if someone else could post the ps2 ones I'd appreciate it
Here's one that was released from Sony today, indicating the first batch of games that are going online with PS2:

NFL GameDay 2003 - August 13, 2002
NFL 2K3 - August 13, 2002
Madden NFL 2003 - August 13, 2002
SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs - August 27, 2002
Twisted Metal: Black Online - August 27, 2002
ATV Offroad Fury 2 - November 12, 2002
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4 - Fall 2002
NBA Live 2003 - Fall 2002
Tribes Aerial Assault - Fall 2002
Auto Modellista - Fall 2002/Winter 2003
My Street - Fall 2002/Winter 2003
Frequency 2 - Spring 2003
DragonSphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2002, 04:22 PM   #10
MakgSnake

MakgSnake is on a distinguished road
Post IThink

Buy The Adapter Neo. Even A Ps2's Adapter Is A Better Choice Then The Whole "Xbox" Console!
Old Aug 16th, 2002, 08:05 PM   #11
KraftSLU
Local Xbox Supporter

Re: IThink

Quote:
Originally posted by MakgSnake
Buy The Adapter Neo. Even A Ps2's Adapter Is A Better Choice Then The Whole "Xbox" Console!
actually the better choice would be to get the adapter AND get the xbox console. I have a ps2, gc, xbox, dreamcast and 8 other video game systems in my house now so I can play anything and everything.
Old Aug 16th, 2002, 08:29 PM   #12
Harry
Administrator

Harry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud of
Re: Re: IThink

Quote:

actually the better choice would be to get the adapter AND get the xbox console. I have a ps2, gc, xbox, dreamcast and 8 other video game systems in my house now so I can play anything and everything.
Yes, but you're rich.
You know, not eveyrbody can buy more than a console, and many can't even buy just one console. My personal suggestion? Spend your money on the Network Adapter, if you like the games coming on Ps2.
Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2002, 06:08 PM   #13
KraftSLU
Local Xbox Supporter

Heh, rich I am not. I just shop around for great deals and what not. Plus this is my hobby. Some people collect expensive baseball cards, some buy ridiculously priced sports equipment, I collect vintage and current gaming machines. But you're right harry, if funds are limited and buying an xbox isn't feasible then get the adapter... but if he is thinking about the xbox already there must be some funding there, and whats an extra 40 bucks for the adapter AND the xbox? work a a little overtime
Old Aug 17th, 2002, 06:48 PM   #14
Harry
Administrator

Harry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud of
Quote:
Heh, rich I am not. I just shop around for great deals and what not. Plus this is my hobby. Some people collect expensive baseball cards, some buy ridiculously priced sports equipment, I collect vintage and current gaming machines.
Yeah KraftSLU, and it's also a great hobby let me say.
Harry is offline   Reply With Quote