Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » General Forums » General Chat

Old Oct 18th, 2007, 01:55 AM   #121
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

merylsilverburg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychopu
I like all Hitchcock's movies with James Stewart in them.
Hehe, I actually don't like James Stewart too much...he seems, to me, the typical "all-American patriot" sort of guy (he displays this perfectly in the beginning of The Man Who Knew Too Much; but it's not just because of this film which is why I have this judgement of him, I always felt this about him). I suppose this is why Hitchcock liked to cast him because of his "average Joe" appeal...not saying this is bad, just to clarify.

However, I must admit that despite Stewart playing an "average Joe" sort of fellow in Hitchcock's films, he really transformed himself in Vertigo after
Spoiler: show
he met Judy who reminded him of Madeline.
He truly transformed into an obsessed guy, the complete opposite of his character in the beginning, it was incredible! Since there was nothing required of him in Rear Window he was still very "Jimmy Stewart" in it.

I must see more of Hitchcock's films...next on my list is Dial M for Murder, Rope, and North by Northwest - though I can't stand Cary Grant.

"Have a little priest" ~ Mrs. Lovett

"Grim Reaper, you could not get the women? What was the problem? Didn't you reap them with your grim reaping equipment?"

"I tried that but the women, they all know hopscotch" ~ Eddie Izzard

You Can Help

merylsilverburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2007, 10:44 PM   #122
Pu the Owl
Useless Oracle™

Pu the Owl is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by merylsilverburg
Hehe, I actually don't like James Stewart too much...he seems, to me, the typical "all-American patriot" sort of guy (he displays this perfectly in the beginning of The Man Who Knew Too Much; but it's not just because of this film which is why I have this judgement of him, I always felt this about him). I suppose this is why Hitchcock liked to cast him because of his "average Joe" appeal...not saying this is bad, just to clarify.
That's the best part. He's so average that whenever something really goes bad and he somehow loses his temper, you can really find it believable. Just think of the western genre. Take John Wayne. He's the classic western hero. He never loses, he merely has a slightly "uncombed" look when he's in great danger. He never really risks anything. You can't feel sympathy for a superhero like that. Other western heroes are too gloomy or unpleasant, while a western movie, well, I think it has to keep you entertained too, or it becomes too much "historical" stuff and that becomes another story. Well, Mr. Stewart on the other hand is so average and mistreated, he gets punched, kicked and robbed all the times, and when he does he really looks miserable, so you can only think "Whoa!" when he gets mad and starts taking revenge. Take that movie... what was the title... oh yes, I think it was Bend of the river. At some point he really loses it and you know when he loses it is not like when John Wayne loses it. It really means he's awfully mad and it's because something really wrong has happened. John Wayne can always take his revenge barely moving a finger. Fighting John Wayne is like fighting a colossus. There's no pathos in John Wayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by merylsilverburg
I must see more of Hitchcock's films...next on my list is Dial M for Murder, Rope, and North by Northwest - though I can't stand Cary Grant.
Rope is good, but depends if you want "action" or not. Nothing really happens in that movie. It's all psychological struggle. More than in any other Hitchcock movie, I think. In fact, all the "action" happens before the movie starts, and the filming itself is one long sequence almost without interruptions, all filmed in the same small setting - an apartment - with very few characters.

I'm not very fond of Cary Grant myself. He's too much on the cool side without being at the same time on the dark side like other actors like Mitchum, for example. I find him very uninteresting and clumsy in his coolness. But some of his movies are ok.

Ratatouille was nice, especially considering the standards of more recent cartoons. But I don't get why animals have to be so silly to be noticed: they have to dance or sing orinvent things or cook to be interesting. Just for once couldn't they be simply... animals? I surely find hard to think of a dancing penguin or rat handling a colander as a cute creature
Pu the Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2007, 02:46 AM   #123
Faile
ys.

Faile is on a distinguished road
I enjoyed Control a lot.

www.catherineandtheowl.com

purr. miaow. hiss.
Faile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25th, 2007, 02:39 AM   #124
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

merylsilverburg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
That's the best part. He's so average that whenever something really goes bad and he somehow loses his temper, you can really find it believable.
Sorry for the late reply. When I mentioned my not liking Stewart, I was actually talking about his personality not his acting. I don't have a problem with his acting (although I suspect his acting reflects his real life personality just a little...but that's just me). And as I said before, his average man quality must be the reason why he is cast for the roles that, like you said, is so average that when he does get screwed over it's so believable. Like I said about "Vertigo"...a complete transformation.

Quote:
I'm not very fond of Cary Grant myself. He's too much on the cool side without being at the same time on the dark side like other actors like Mitchum, for example. I find him very uninteresting and clumsy in his coolness. But some of his movies are ok.
I don't know about his lack of being dark but I do agree with the cool effect. Grant seems like he tries too hard to be cool and debonair but that's just too irritating to me. He doesn't seem naturally suave but I know this opinion of him is in the minority.

I recently saw "Dial M for Murder" and "Torn Curtain." The first was a great film and I would actually say I love it...if only the ending wasn't so terrible. I don't know what to say...was Hitchcock trying to condone adultery? I was hoping Tony would get away with it. He started off as the antagonist but somehow became the protagonist and I found myself rooting for him than his wife, Margot, and Mark. How I hate Mark so.

"Torn Curtain" was a terrible film. Julie Andrews does not fit the clingy, needy, wishy-washy sort of characters and yet, she's exactly that in her role. It was almost unbearable watching her because her character is so stupid and a stereotypical female. Paul Newman's character is an utter moron. Why propose if you're going undercover? Did he not think that his fiance would want to follow him considering how needy she is? Also, many of his behaviors and mannerisms are utterly dumb. Why don't we keep staring at the chalkboard and make it obvious that we're trying to memorize all the forumlas to report back to the US? Oh wait, that's right, the German activists are supposed to save our as$es because we're Americans, almost forgot. The one scene in the farmhouse was also so prolonged that it became laughable and cringeworthy. I was hoping this film would've been good but it really disappointed me.

"Have a little priest" ~ Mrs. Lovett

"Grim Reaper, you could not get the women? What was the problem? Didn't you reap them with your grim reaping equipment?"

"I tried that but the women, they all know hopscotch" ~ Eddie Izzard

You Can Help

merylsilverburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25th, 2007, 10:46 AM   #125
goodman

goodman is on a distinguished road
This is definitely the time for movies here in the U.S. Saw Beowulf yesterday, a fun, "festive" little romp for the viewing public And am going to the new Coen brothers movie this morning, which is getting raves all over, should be very fun. For us Stephen King fans there is Mist, which i will likely see during the week or next weekend. Highly recommend the current movies showing here they are good, even had a blast at Fred Claus, very good cast and fun show! The previews for the new Tim Burton movie with Johnny Depp look like they will be very good, im a big Burton/Depp fan.......... Oh and hi to everybody .........
goodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 10:18 AM   #126
goodman

goodman is on a distinguished road
Ok, obviously went to the depp burton movie, aka sweeney todd, its a good flick though not overwhelming. Ive been to several since this thread last posted, but thought id mention Enchantment, best movie labeled as just a "Disney" movie ive seen in some time, although i also highly recommend Disney/Pixars Ratouille that came out this summer. Saw I am Legend, and was unimpressed pretty much in general, just take my word for it, lol, i saw the movie its based on and think even it was better than this will smith flick. Also saw Charlie Wilsons War and Juno yesterday, both highly recommended. Both comical and yet so down to earth as to the reality of what goes on in this ole world .....
goodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 01:42 PM   #127
Pu the Owl
Useless Oracle™

Pu the Owl is on a distinguished road
Last movie was Stranger than fiction on DVD. It reminded me some other movie, but now I can't say which one. It was ok, funny and with its strong points, with some very clever parts.

Another good one was Oliver Twist by Polanski. Couldn't go to watch it wehn it was released, so I bought the DVD. It's a bit "softer" than the book, less gruesome, more sympathethic towards a few negative characters. But it's a good adaptation, I think.

I also watched The Prestige on DVD. Nolan really baffles me. I hated Memento because despite its great potential it was a mess of a movie with awful acting. The Prestige was better, also thanks to better actors, but the sci-fi elements were cheap and sort of misplaced. Anyway, I liked it.
Pu the Owl is offline   Reply With Quote