Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » General Forums » General Chat

Old May 28th, 2006, 01:54 PM   #1
Frozen
Dante May Cry

Frozen is on a distinguished road
X-MEN: The Last Stand

A very sad and tragic disappointment, although still a great movie.

I'm not going to discuss any possible spoilers yet, all I will say is that I expected a titan fight between Colossus and Juggernaut and didn't see one, but something really gay instead, and the deaths of a few MAJOR characters made me sad and angry and I guess that the fact that this was "the last stand" gave a closing chapter to a trilogy that I expected to spawn maybe 4 or 5 movies, for there are so many materials to make X-MEN movies with. (Synister, Apocalypse...) and one of the biggest disappointments was to have never seen one of my favorite characters, Gambit.

To say this more briefly, this movie turned out to be WAAAAYYY darker than I expected it to be.

Opine.

Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2006, 07:41 PM   #2
Pu the Owl
Useless Oracle™

Pu the Owl is on a distinguished road
Still have to watch this movie. It was supposed to be a series of 5 movies, you're right, but that was before Bryan Singer abandoned the project to direct the new Superman.
Pu the Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2006, 08:56 PM   #3
Frozen
Dante May Cry

So that's the reason?

Bryan, you bastard. I am happy that he got into the Superman project (I saw the previews and it looks great, plus I love Superman) but still, X Men is what made him known and now that you tell me this I understand why the things that happened in Last Stand happened.

Old May 28th, 2006, 09:00 PM   #4
Beretta55
Reached for the sky

Beretta55 is on a distinguished road
I'm still going to see it, most likely on DVD unless I can get my drivers license when the movie is still out, that's doubtful though.

I'm disappointed there is no Gambit for the third time though, he's my favorite mutant of all and was really hoping he'd make an appearance, but alas not this time either.
Old May 28th, 2006, 09:12 PM   #5
Frozen
Dante May Cry

Oh, by all means, watch it, it is a must see! But you will understand how I feel after you watch it. My disappointment lies mainly on the outcome of this movie, more than in it's quality. (Great, possibly the best battle sequences and fights, new mutants very well protrayed and excellent makeovers, the special effects are also the best you'll see on all three movies, specially when it has something to do with Phoenix. But I hate sad, tragic endings and I don't like it when good old characters disappear from the screen to bring new ones which aren't as great) (e.g. Nightcrawler / Angel)

Old May 30th, 2006, 12:41 AM   #6
DSgamer
here and there

DSgamer is on a distinguished road
don't you know who I am? I'm the juggernaut bitch!
Old May 30th, 2006, 01:28 AM   #7
Berserker
misfit

Berserker is on a distinguished road
I'm really looking forward to this and IMO some of the chars dying only adds to the realisme of the story. I'm sick and tired of those happy-end movies where everybody magically stays alive at the end.

Vincere Aut Mori
Berserker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2006, 03:26 AM   #8
Phenom

Phenom is on a distinguished road
I too am looking forward to seeing it, but I'm not stoked about it, seeing that I didn't particularly care much for the 1st 2 movies. I haven't picked up a comic in god knows how long, so I can't neccessarily blame the story. I just never clicked with them.

And hearing that Gambit never makes an appearance is even more disappointing. He may not be the best or strongest mutant, but his fan crowd is very high. Perhaps not as high as Wolverine, but it's damn near close to Cyclops and far above Beast. I'd atleast liked to see him make an appearance before killing off any characters but oh well.
Phenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2006, 09:05 AM   #9
Frozen
Dante May Cry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berserker
I'm really looking forward to this and IMO some of the chars dying only adds to the realisme of the story. I'm sick and tired of those happy-end movies where everybody magically stays alive at the end.
I understand that perfectly, but I think this time they went over the edge on the tragedy factor. You will see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightmare

And hearing that Gambit never makes an appearance is even more disappointing. He may not be the best or strongest mutant, but his fan crowd is very high. Perhaps not as high as Wolverine, but it's damn near close to Cyclops and far above Beast.
I feel the same way, there were a few mutants along the line that I would have rather not have seen at all and have Gambit instead. I believe that the focus on Iceman (whom, by the way, really kicks ass in this movie) pretty much killed the chances of throwing Gambit in (being him the one that's with Rogue, not Iceman)

Gambit's mutant powers are still pretty damn useful, he would have made some bad ass fight sequences with his powers and his fighting style. Maybe Singer was not able to find an actor that could portray him well and therefore decided not to bring him in the movies. Who knows.

Last edited by Frozen; May 30th, 2006 at 09:10 AM..
Old May 30th, 2006, 11:24 AM   #10
Hylas
Now or Never

Hylas is on a distinguished road
I am going next week, or this weekend. I liked the first two movies, but I don't know why this last episode doesn't look completely right to me for some reason.
Hylas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2006, 09:38 PM   #11
Frozen
Dante May Cry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylas
I am going next week, or this weekend. I liked the first two movies, but I don't know why this last episode doesn't look completely right to me for some reason.

Maybe because it's the last one, when it shouldn't be

Well, think about it, if you compare the chronology between the movies and the comics, (or for an easier comparison, with the old animated series), it would have taken about 15 episodes to get from the events in the second movie up to Phoenix.

Old Jun 1st, 2006, 06:08 PM   #12
kamari-ice

kamari-ice is on a distinguished road
Really?

I have been hearing such great things about this movie. But, it's half and half online. Some people like it, and some people do not.

Originally, I was suppose to go see it on opening night with a friend, but when I got to the theater, it was already sold out. Blah. I really wanted to see it, too. I guess I will wait until it comes out on cable or something.

I think there are going to be five X-Men movies. Because, I think that Fox just confirmed X-Men 4. I don't know why, I think it was because of the great opening box office record for Memorial Day. Who knows. But, it's real, there is going to be a fourth X-Men movie.

kamari-ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 07:12 AM   #13
Frozen
Dante May Cry

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamari-ice
Really?

I have been hearing such great things about this movie. But, it's half and half online. Some people like it, and some people do not.

Originally, I was suppose to go see it on opening night with a friend, but when I got to the theater, it was already sold out. Blah. I really wanted to see it, too. I guess I will wait until it comes out on cable or something.

I think there are going to be five X-Men movies. Because, I think that Fox just confirmed X-Men 4. I don't know why, I think it was because of the great opening box office record for Memorial Day. Who knows. But, it's real, there is going to be a fourth X-Men movie.

Read Panuru's post at the top of the thread. And think about it: "Last Stand" isn't exactly an open ended title, and after you watch the movie, you will understand why it would not be smart to make a fourth movie. What I have heard, however, is of a possible Wolverine spin off, I believe that is what you heard about, I am really looking forward to that.

Don't wait until it comes out on cable: watch it now. The movie is a must see in theatres, (if you like Sci fi and / or X Men) you really don't want to miss the experience of those effects in the big screen. I also went to watch it the night it came out and it was sold out, so I bought a ticket for the next day.

Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 12:31 PM   #14
Zebraman

Zebraman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen
What I have heard, however, is of a possible Wolverine spin off, I believe that is what you heard about, I am really looking forward to that.
I've heard that: if you check imdb, there is a Wolverine movie announced, scheduled for a 2007 release, with Hugh Jackman.

I was expecting more from this movie. It is not as bad as many describe, but it is not as good as it could have been.
Zebraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 12:51 PM   #15
TtTackler
¤Web-Head¤

TtTackler is on a distinguished road
The reason why Singer didn't do this movie is because Fox waited too long to re-do his contract. They treated him poorly, and he basically said 'screw you' and went off to Warner Bros.

As for the movie itself, I havn't seen it and I don't plan on it. I've seen clips of the movie online and most of the script before it was released and thought it was terrible. Bad acting, bad dialogue. Useless plot points that add nothing to the movie. They tried to do too much in a short movie, just at the expense of a bunch of pretty explosions to wow the crowd. I've also heard the reason they killed off so many main characters was because a lot of the actors didn't want anything to do with the series anymore.
TtTackler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4th, 2006, 08:29 AM   #16
Frozen
Dante May Cry

Care to elaborate on the "bad acting" and "bad dialogue" ?

I also think they tried to stuff too much into one movie, but it was still a great addition to this series of movies and is defintely worth watching.

Old Jun 6th, 2006, 08:55 PM   #17
MADRUCKIS
Noble Psychopath

MADRUCKIS is on a distinguished road
movie was weak

not horrible by any standards but geez

what happened to hte big summer blockbusters that delivered

my biggest concern of course lies in the death of a major character

wai wai wait
"death" i should type because the way that this person "went" was absurd. Not diverging anything but it was the first person to "go" and they "killed" this person off camera

one of the biggest WTF moves I've ever paid for. Who wrote that someone that important in the first two movies should bite it OFFSCREEN after having six lines???

they didnt tie any loose ends, they made it blah

Tinman had what...2 lines? How do you not have a fight between Collossus and Juggs????

I couldve written something better and iv shared my idea with people and all of them have told me- they had rather seen my movie. I'll share it when its safe to talk about this movie without spoilers

again not that it was horrible, but yeah Nightcrawler and Gambit deserved screen time. Supposedly in the official game it explains why the blue elf did not return for movie three but boooooooooooooooooooooooooooo for no Remy. And jubilee has been in every movie and got cut out
sad
MADRUCKIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 10:34 AM   #18
Aubrey McFatum

Aubrey McFatum is on a distinguished road
I want to say I'm not very familiar with the comics, so I am probably not getting some points. But as a viewer, I don't think this will necessarily be the last movie. I think they are intentionally leaving some doors opened for a sequel, in case they can do it.

And I don't think there were so many "stupid" deaths, as Frozen said. In fact
Spoiler: show
the only very stupid death is Scott's. He really died in a meaningless way, but it must be because the actor is involved in other projects now, as Superman's one. While Xavier isn't exactly dead. He can come back in a sequel, as the last scene of the movie suggests. In some other form maybe. Not with the same body and all. This will solve the problem with the actor not wanting to appear in X-Men movies anymore. And Jean Grey, too. If Xavier is still alive, maybe she, who was sort of resurrected for this movie as well, will be able to come back. After all, a Phoenix is peculiar for the ability to come back to life after death.

I also think that the mutants who have lost their powers will get them back in a way or another. Maybe The Cure wasn't a final solution, maybe it has only temporary effects, as the scene with Magneto sitting at the chessboard suggets. He seems to be able to use his powers after being injected with the cure, so why the others shouldn't be able to have their abilities again?

I think the movie wasn't that bad overall. They tried to make it shorter than the story actually required. Some characters needed some more space to express themselves. Some others were not developed at all. Some others were completely absent without reasons. I mean... I was expecting to see a Colossus/Juggernaut fight, I was expecting to see Nightcrawler, I was expecting more parts with Angel and more development in Rogue's character, etc.. etc... Maybe if the movie was a bit longer. The script was clearly cut in some points to make it shorter. I don't know if this movie was condensing what was originally more than a movie into one.That was tthe impression I got. But it wasn't that bad as many say. Just not as good as it could have been.

Do you believe in God?
The question is does God believe in me?

Aubrey McFatum
Aubrey McFatum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 05:06 PM   #19
Hylas
Now or Never

Hylas is on a distinguished road
Went to see the movie. I'm not sure it is so "final" as the title says. There are many possibilities left. Maybe they're just misleading us.
Hylas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 06:19 PM   #20
Frozen
Dante May Cry

Mad, I definitely feel the same way you felt about that very important (and my second favorite) character's death.

Spoiler: show
I don't see a point on making a movie where Cyclops and Xavier are dead, a movie where Rogue gets rid of her powers, granted, Phoenix can always come back to life, but remember that Bryan Singer abandoned the project, if a new movie was to be made I'd doubt it'd be him and I'm not sure how good that would be. More screw ups just like in this one.

I do keep looking forward to that Wolverine spin off, does any one have concrete information about that?