Home  Appotography.com 
advertisement Tiny Crosswords - Made by MagnetiCatGames.com
Playstation 2 Fantasy - Everything about Playstation 2 Developed on Alienware! Search games!
  Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Home  

Latest NewsReviewsPreviewsFeaturesScreenshotsContact Our Staff

Welcome to the PsFantasy.com Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back  PsFantasy.com Forums » General Forums » Comics And Anime Forum

Old Jun 4th, 2004, 07:18 AM   #1
Hylas
Now or Never

Hylas is on a distinguished road
Question The Cat Returns

I didn't know there was such movie among Studio Ghibli's works. I cannot find any decent info, but people around keep on saying this is very good and so on. Ok, I haven't heard, never, of a bad Studio Ghibli movie, so not a surprise if this is good as well. But I was wondering if anybody had the chance to watch it. I only know, but I could be wrong, this ain't a Miyazaki movie/story. It's Studio Ghibli but not Miyazaki. Can you help me with anything else? Like... what is this about and if this resembles to anything else, other anime series or movies? Is it a shoujo-like movie or not? From the screens I could see looks like a fantasy movie, with talking animals and these kind of things Where could I find more info about it?

Thank you!

Last edited by Hylas; Jun 4th, 2004 at 07:19 AM..
Hylas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 12:05 PM   #2
kupoartist
.illustrated.thingy.

kupoartist is on a distinguished road
I'm under the impression that Meryl knows a lot more... BTW, my favorite site for Ghibli information is: https://www.nausicaa.net/ . they've got information about Neko no Onegaeshi (and hell knows i've spelt that wrong ^_^) as well as Miyazaki's next project Howl's Moving Castle. Anyways, This movie is one I haven't seen, but I hear it's a psuedo-spin-off from "Whisper of the Heart", because two of the cats in it are returning characters. This is indeed not a film that Miyazaki had a directorial role in (but he is credited as Executive Producer). Instead, it was directed by Hiroyuki Morita, a new director. Quality wise, i've heard it's quite good, though not as spectacular as many other Ghibli films.

Getting to see it may be difficult. It is unlikely to see a limited release in Europe, so know going to the cinema or arts cinema to see it. I have hopes that it'll be released on DVD, but you may be better off trying to import the Japanese version (which comes with English Subs anyway).
kupoartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2004, 12:12 AM   #3
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

merylsilverburg is on a distinguished road
As kupo said, Nausicaa.net is the best place for all Ghibli information. You can go there with any question and they'll have the answer.

Anyway, this is a really, really great film. I don't remember when I saw it but I think it was either late 2002/early 2003 on Region 2 DVD. And as kupo said, it's a spin-off/slightly-related to "Whisper of the Heart" (Mimi o Sumaseba) because both films are originally mangas by Hiraga, Aoi. In "Whisper", it isn't about cats, but there is a figurine cat named Baron and this other fatter cat (forgot name) who are featured. In "Cat Returns", both cats are main characters next to Haru (the human girl who gets transformed into a cat).

The plot of "The Cat Returns": This is a story about a girl named Haru who is a dreamy, irresponsible girl who lacks a lot of self-confidence/esteem. One day, while walking home with her friend, she sees this cat in the middle of the road...with a car coming straight at it. Haru manages to save the cat (scooping him off the road). Later that night, a parade of cats walking on two legs marches along her street (and knowing these stories, only Haru can see it) and they tell her that they would repay her kindess by taking her to the "Cat Kingdom" so she can marry the prince (the cat she saved). Haru doesn't think it's a bad idea; she enjoys the idea of being a lazy cat, just relaxing and napping but at the same time, she doesn't like the idea much. In order to get some help, she visits the "Cat's Business Office" and meets Baron (the figurine from "Whisper"). From there, she's swept away to the "Cat Kingdom" and being ready to wed the prince! What will she do?

Ah...that's all I'll say because I don't want to spoil this great film. The animation is very beautiful (as with all Ghibli films) and the story is light-hearted and it's a bit of a shoujo/fantasy. It's one of those films that make you smile at the end (along with "Whisper of the Heart") and just makes you "feel good". The characters are likable (Haru is a bit on that kinda irritating side, but not too bad). Overall, if this film ever makes it to Europe, I'd definitely say watch this film.

"Have a little priest" ~ Mrs. Lovett

"Grim Reaper, you could not get the women? What was the problem? Didn't you reap them with your grim reaping equipment?"

"I tried that but the women, they all know hopscotch" ~ Eddie Izzard

You Can Help

merylsilverburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 04:43 PM   #4
kupoartist
.illustrated.thingy.

kupoartist is on a distinguished road
:O The Cat Returns is being shown as part of the 24th Cambridge Film Festival! (no big surprise I guess - Spirited Away won the "audience choice" award for the 23rd!) Now I get to see if my anime missioneering has worked, so I can convince my friends (I think 2/3 guys and 2 girls may be interested... they better be!) to come along with me!!!

The UK anime sites allegedly don't know about this yet... I'm not going to tell them!
kupoartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 09:40 AM   #5
LrdAlucard
Metalik0r

LrdAlucard is on a distinguished road
pretty funny movie i liked it a lot at first, i thought "wtf?!" but then i began to like it little by little, and ended up wanting more 10 min of movie...lol....a sequel would be nice

"Its a good night... On nights like these, I crave for blood."
LrdAlucard is offline   Reply With Quote