View Single Post
Old Jun 19th, 2009, 10:12 AM   #1
Faile
ys.

Faile is on a distinguished road
The Ship of Lost Souls

Garrr me hearties (and other piratical exhortations*). Who is still with us here?
Being recklessly sentimental (and often just plain reckless), I've been drawn back to these forums a whole lot, but everyone seems to have taken up hibernation as a hobby! Who is still awake? Together we can reawaken the sleeping hedhehogs and forge something a little bit special again.

Who cares that the Playstation2 has been packed in to that last generation box, pc gaming is on its knees and we've all gotten a little older and busier?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ps2Fantasy.com
We strongly believe that we are living something similar to what happened more than a century ago with the advent of cinema. It changed the way we think, it introduced in our minds a new language that we learn, together with our first words, since our first years of life. In the next years, videogames will become more and more important. They'll merge with other arts ( and that's already happening ), and they'll involve all our senses. There are many dangers in this sort of "total" art that's arousing like a phoenix from the ashes of a burning century, and it's important to reflect upon it. But it's undeniable that videogames can give us new experiences, new sensations and create a different sense of beauty.
WE ARE STILL LIVING IN THIS TIME!

This idea brought us all together, even the silent sorts like myself. Now though, when economy fails and terror stalks us, art is all we have. I don't care that the media still considers videogames to be low art, and that they still attempt to solder together cinema and gaming but can't be bothered to get it right. All I care about is the beauty that does exist, buried under the piles of EA sports sequels and JRPG titles that will never rival the original experience of FFVII. Is anyone else out there still who believes? Lets bring it back together and rid ourselves of those who turn up here only to spam threads with adverts for nonsense. Come on kids, one last time!** A rush and a push...

So yes, so this topic isn't only full of idealistic nonsense, I'll list a few good things that I think are worth mentioning:

x. I think the Sega Dreamcast was the last classic gaming console. The PS2 was too mainstream to ever really hold a large amount of title that I wanted to own, though the highlights are admittedly very high indeed.

x. To me, the successor to the Dreamcast is the Xbox 360, which is a perfect console for me.

x. Is the sole purpose of games only to entertain? Should they not torment as say, David Lynch's Inland Empire did for me?

x. Will videogaming ever be in the position to hold relevance for all persons upon this world? Would you even want it to do so (cf. my problem withe the ps2)

x. Does any of this actually mean anything?

x. Is episodic gaming the future?

So yes. Feel free to add your own answers, or questions, or anything (excludes adverts)!!!!

Yo Ho!

*Feel free to use your own piratical exhortations here.
**Or not, it's up to you!

www.catherineandtheowl.com

purr. miaow. hiss.

Last edited by Faile; Jun 19th, 2009 at 10:14 AM..
Faile is offline   Reply With Quote

X vBulletin 3.8.10 Debug Information
  • Page Generation 0.02973 seconds
  • Memory Usage 1,897KB
  • Queries Executed 9 (?)
More Information
Template Usage:
  • (1)SHOWTHREAD_SHOWPOST
  • (1)ad_footer_end
  • (1)ad_footer_start
  • (1)ad_header_end
  • (1)ad_header_logo