View Single Post
Old Aug 27th, 2006, 07:41 PM   #11
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

merylsilverburg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kupoartist
Plain and Simple, Goro jumped the queue. No ammount of unfair pre-judging can outweigh the sheer unfairness of someone jumping into a job he has never built up to, over a industry full of people of great talent. His credentials are extremely weak, and it is clear that Suzuki has used the Miyazaki name to sell the film (why else is he appealing to the viewing public to go and see the movie to decide the father/son conflict? Suzuki's opinion on the matter is never a good angle on the debate. He is solely a buisnessman.) Who wouldn't despise being leap-frogged in that way? I know I would be practically seething put in the position of anyone who has sold their soul to such a fiendish industry, only to see someone shipped in for no apparent reason.
Well we each have our own opinions about this matter. I mean, you don't have any proof that what you said above is the real deal...it's merely assumptions/speculations. We'll never really know what happened. I just personally feel otherwise; that maybe this was Goro's chance to show what he's made of. If what he wrote in his blogs is true, then this was his opportunity to get into a business that he always wanted to but never was able to. If this is the case, I just think it's unfair to be suspicious of the affair or to be doubtful of his abilities, just because the guy has a famous last name and lacks proper animation/directing credentials. If we immediately discredit him and not give him the chance to prove himself or to show his talent, then why should people bother trying anything new or taking a new position? That's my opinion.

Quote:
On the contrary, a fanboyish attitude wouldn't undermine the importance of the role of the director. The core of Ghibli fanboyism is Miyazaki worship, the same way that all Directors unjustly recieve the full shining acclaim for a product of hundreds of minds. That's just the pathetic way in which the film industry tries to justify itself as an art form, because they need artists and not collectives. Any good team can make a brilliant product without a brilliant director. It's just that film critics can't stomach a decent film coming out a studio without a face attached to it.
Okay, I see what you mean and I do agree. But, maybe I'm just a little less negative because the whole idea of director vs. team thing doesn't really bother me so much. Film critics are douchebags wanting a big name director, but normal viewers are not without fault as well.

Quote:
How so?
Because of what you said. You were annoyed that they chose Goro, since you feel he is a sellout, but yet you said that Studio Ghibli would be able to make a passable/manageable movie without a great director. If that's the case, then there's really no point in criticizing Goro's lack of credentials or that he may be a bad director. But what I'm explaining now was before I heard your reason (about directors receiving claim for something from hundreds of minds, etc.).

"Have a little priest" ~ Mrs. Lovett

"Grim Reaper, you could not get the women? What was the problem? Didn't you reap them with your grim reaping equipment?"

"I tried that but the women, they all know hopscotch" ~ Eddie Izzard

You Can Help

Last edited by merylsilverburg; Aug 27th, 2006 at 07:42 PM..
merylsilverburg is offline   Reply With Quote

X vBulletin 3.8.10 Debug Information
  • Page Generation 0.02552 seconds
  • Memory Usage 1,922KB
  • Queries Executed 9 (?)
More Information
Template Usage:
  • (1)SHOWTHREAD_SHOWPOST
  • (1)ad_footer_end
  • (1)ad_footer_start
  • (1)ad_header_end
  • (1)ad_header_logo