View Single Post
Old Mar 25th, 2002, 08:41 PM   #2
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

merylsilverburg is on a distinguished road
Mmm.....Shoujo Kakumei Utena is good in my opnion. I've watched only half of the dubbed TV series and the new Utena Movie that recently came out. I have the manga and the artbooks. I like this series because it's very mysterious and has an odd sense of humor. It's kinda a dark, and VERY symbolic anime which you have to pay careful attention to. I don't want to spoil anything for you, but I suggest you watch the anime, then get the manga, because the anime draws you in. And the music is SUPERB. Basically, Tenjou, Utena is a young girl who, as a young child, was rescued by a mysterious prince on a white horse and now, wants to become a prince herself. This prince gave Utena a signet ring which is embedded with the rose symbol. The school she goes to, Ohtori Academy, is a strange school. It's signet is the rose symbol as well. There is this girl, named Himmimeya, Anthy, who is the "Rose Bride". She is what the four members of the Student Council duel against each other for because she has the power to grant their "wishes". These four members are part of the Student Council, because they wear the Rose Signet Ring and want to bring "revolution" to their world. Utena gets involved with all this because she wears the Ring as well, so in order to become a "prince", she must duel with these four members to win the "Rose Bride" who is Anthy. This might sound confusing, but please, give it a try. It's much, much better than my horrible summary, and the story is so unique and mysterious. Plus, it's French based....you'll see the costumes, the duels, and the setting slightly like a French/European setting. This anime is VERY popular in France because of it. A lot of people go crazy over it because of the whole symbolical thing of the rose and the whole "revolution". Even now, I still have my own questions about the series. I haven't finished watching the rest of this anime, because only half of the episodes were released in the US. But, I still say give it a try. This mangaka, Saito Chiho, is sooo popular because of this anime and other mangas she's made. I definitely recommend this anime, because for some strange reason....it really puts a spell on you. I don't mean to sound cheesy, but I was immediately spellbound when the first scene of the anime appeared on screen. Very good anime, IMO.
merylsilverburg is offline   Reply With Quote

X vBulletin 3.8.10 Debug Information
  • Page Generation 0.02200 seconds
  • Memory Usage 1,903KB
  • Queries Executed 9 (?)
More Information
Template Usage:
  • (1)SHOWTHREAD_SHOWPOST
  • (1)ad_footer_end
  • (1)ad_footer_start
  • (1)ad_header_end
  • (1)ad_header_logo