View Single Post
Old May 11th, 2006, 10:59 AM   #17
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

merylsilverburg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kupoartist
Perhaps he will, but he wouldn't do it by shooting himself. Though drammatically effective in the trailer, it's immensely non-sensical. Snake's wish is to destroy his genetic material, but how is that to be achieved through getting shot? Big Boss before him died but his genetics are what caused the whole modern Era of MGS. If Snake wanted to wipe out his genetic material, he'd have to destroy himself Terminator / Ripley style. For that very reason, I don't think he will actually commit suicide. It'd either be nonsensical or too cliched.
Oh, when I said if Snake has to commit suicide at the end, I meant at the end of the game, not in the trailer. Even if Snake wipes himself out Terminator-style, it's still a suicide. I'm pretty sure Kojima wouldn't do something so ridiculously boring to have Snake shoot himself in the head or anything else too cliche...unless, being the way he is, he decides on the most insanely simple death for Snake, like an explosion or something. I wouldn't be surprised if Kojima did this since he knows we're expecting an epic and heroic death for a legend like Snake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry
I would hate if Snake was actually controlled by nanomachines! I also do not like the idea of multiple endings, especially in storyline-based games like Metal Gear Solid. The idea of Big Boss being back in this game is fascinating, and it would justify all the efforts done by Kojima to tell Big Boss story from a different point of view in MGS 3 and the new PSP game, MGS: Portable Ops (which is part of the MGS canon, according to Kojima). This said, I believe that when Snake speaks about the need of ending his bloodline he refers to himself, but also to Liquid and anybody else with Big Boss' DNA. But correct me if I am wrong - weren't Genome Soldiers "enhanced" with Big Boss' genes? Doesn't this mean that even if Solid killed himself and Liquid Ocelot, his efforts would be pointless? What is this really all about?
I'm actually kinda upset about the PSP game because I don't know when or if I'll buy a PSP, so if I don't buy one, I'll end up missing a good chunk of the storyline and history. I do agree with you though, that there must've been a reason why Kojima decided to emphasize so heavily on Big Boss' story in MGS3. As for the Genome soldiers, I honestly have no idea about this...unless the enhancement was a extremely small percentage and would eventually wear off through time? Unlike Snake, Liquid, and Solidus who were exact clones of Big Boss, these soldiers are still their bodily selves, but was only provided with a little support - kinda like steroids for athletes.

Quote:
Indeed, Revolver Ocelot is the only true bad guy of the series, and he could definitely be Snake's main enemy in this game. The idea of Ocelot regenerating himself through Liquid's body, and not vice versa, is nice. I just hope Kojima will explain better the whole arm thing (how on earth can an arm contain traces of someone's memory?), even though Ocelot's possession can be partially justified by the psychic skills he may have inherited from his father, the Sorrow. Also, do you know if there are some theories to explain why Ocelot was able to jump like a Ninja on board of the Metal Gear in the end of MGS2?

Maybe we must wait for the new MGS: Portable Ops to know a bit more about, or maybe it's just that I honestly do not know a lot of things about the series' storyline. In any case, Revolver Ocelot has always sided with the Philosophers/Patriots, and the Patriots are those that really control the economy and politics of Western countries, including the U.S. in MGS - so they were basically behind Snake's infiltration in Outer Heaven, and they were Big Boss' sworn enemies. They took Big Boss' genetic material when he was in a coma, from what I read in Wikipedia (was this explained in MGS?), obviously without his permission. So, if Big Boss is actually on Revolver Ocelot's side in this game, he could be an unknowing tool in the hands of Ocelot and the Patriots, like Solidus in MGS2.
I just realized I made a major, major mistake and I think I messed everyone up. It's actually Liquid's arm onto Ocelot's body...I mean, I don't know why I didn't realize this sooner, after all, how can Ocelot really die? *slaps self on head* Okay, so this throws all the theories out of the water because if it's actually Liquid who is controlling Ocelot through his arm, then that does make Liquid the main enemy, right? Sorry about this, guys. As for Ocelot jumping like a Ninja into the Metal Gear, I've read no theories about that. But perhaps, since Liquid is actually the perfect clone of Big Boss, maybe his arm is, uh, super-enhanced which can control Ocelot and make him super-human? ^^;;;

I wonder if Big Boss did sided with Revolver Ocelot, would he really not know if he was being played a pawn again? He already went through this in MGS3, so how could he make the same mistake again? And this would go against all that he was fighting for in MG and MG2, right? I don't think it was explained in MGS that Big Boss was in a coma when they took his genetic DNA...I could've sworn they said "remains of Big Boss." From other things I've read, I thought Big Boss willingly allowed his DNA to be cloned.

Quote:
I really did not understand the whole Abel and Cain reference. Abel and Cain were brothers, so Liquid Ocelot must indeed be talking to Solid Snake in that scene, referring to the fact he killed either Solidus or Liquid himself. But if Solid Snake is Cain (who was cursed by God, forced to wander earth with the constant fear of being killed - a man constantly at war?) and Liquid/Solidus are Abel, who is Eve? It could be a person, or even an organization that generated them or from where they all come from, in a sense or in another. This somebody could be Big Boss, or in general Outher Heaven, called "mother company" in the trailer. Solid sided with the United States in the past and killed with his hands his own brother (Liquid); thus he is banished from the only land where all soldiers can find their place, the great mother, the Eve of all soldiers - Outer Heaven.

But if the Ocelot talking in the trailer is actually Revolver Ocelot, Eve could even refer to the Patriots and Les Enfants Terribles project.
I really like your theory about Eve being an organization or the mother company. This could be very possible. I am a little curious about the whole biblical references in the games...no so much in MGS and MGS2, but particularly in MGS3 and now, 4. The whole Eva thing and it was she who "tricked the Snake" instead of the way it was told in the Genesis. I wonder if Eva and Eve are referenced to each other somehow? If so, how would this work in the storyline?

All this talking about MGS4 is really great...I miss these sort of discussions.

"Have a little priest" ~ Mrs. Lovett

"Grim Reaper, you could not get the women? What was the problem? Didn't you reap them with your grim reaping equipment?"

"I tried that but the women, they all know hopscotch" ~ Eddie Izzard

You Can Help

merylsilverburg is offline   Reply With Quote

X vBulletin 3.8.10 Debug Information
  • Page Generation 0.05618 seconds
  • Memory Usage 1,947KB
  • Queries Executed 9 (?)
More Information
Template Usage:
  • (1)SHOWTHREAD_SHOWPOST
  • (1)ad_footer_end
  • (1)ad_footer_start