View Single Post
Old Feb 19th, 2013, 02:23 AM   #418
Phenom

Phenom is on a distinguished road
A lot of my time (what little of it I have) has been spent on playing fighting games. Super Street Fighter 4: Arcade Edition to be exact. Sometimes I switch to Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3, but most of my attention has been on SSF4. Me and SSF4 is like a marriage if I had to compare it. Some moments I love it and think it's the best fighting game around, and other times I hate it and want to chuck it out the window. The main reason is because of my limited time to learn the mechanics (especially since I came into the game pretty late). I don't want to be a tournament player or anything, but I'd like to be really good in the game. I even decided to dial it back a bit and start fresh. Made the full transition to using a fight stick, and went back to playing shoto characters, mainly Ken (and possibly Evil Ryu) because I gotta have fun with the game as well as learn the fundamentals all over again too.

I've dabbled with Persona 4 Arena too, and I was caught completely off-guard by the game. I was amazed at how easily accessible the game was, especially considering how technical SSF4 is where you gotta focus on learning links even though they can be so hard to pull off, while here in P4A, you can just push buttons and feel like you know what you're doing. Of course that's not the correct way, but you get the point. It's too bad that the roster is small though, and I think this is my issue with all of Arc Systems games, but I understand why they do it as well.

The game I'm focused on now is Street Fighter X Tekken. There was a lot of problems when the game 1st came out, but since the release of the 2013 patch it's had a resurgence, and it looks really fun, and even before the patch came out the core gameplay looked fun. Not exactly sure who my main team will be, but I'm leaning towards Jin/Hwoarang, Jin/Steve, or Ken/Jin. But even then, I'm also considering Kazuya, Guy, Cody and Lars as well. I won't be messing with the Capcom characters too much since they're almost identical to the way they are in SSF4. The Tekken characters on the other hand, because they have dashes that get them through fireballs, and the Tekken chains can make up for all the fancy combos that I'll have a hard time pulling off, just makes them more interesting. Because this game is using a similar engine to that of SSF4, I am glad that FADC's are gone. That made SSF4 far more complicated than it needed to be (Ironically I still want to learn how to do that). I do like the idea of having charge moves that you can cancel out of though. Makes things a lot easier, I actually wish they make all special moves charge-cancelable, but that's just a nitpick. Anyway, do I like this game more than SSF4? I can't answer that yet, but I can see myself liking it a little more down the line considering it's more accessible than SSF4.
Phenom is offline   Reply With Quote

X vBulletin 3.8.10 Debug Information
  • Page Generation 0.02881 seconds
  • Memory Usage 1,911KB
  • Queries Executed 9 (?)
More Information
Template Usage:
  • (1)SHOWTHREAD_SHOWPOST
  • (1)ad_footer_end
  • (1)ad_footer_start
  • (1)ad_header_end
  • (1)ad_header_logo