View Single Post
Old Sep 8th, 2005, 11:04 PM   #13
happy_doughnut
just a rolling stone

happy_doughnut is on a distinguished road
Angry

You know, the sarcastic attitudes are really unnecessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodman
No doubt my best memories come from the SNES and Genesis days, my favorite game of all time is Landstalker on the Genesis. Although few will ever know, the TurboGraphix 16 and TurboDuo system were awesome, and at the time represented the best of the very early 16 bit systems, but most will never know. I discovered these systems very late in their short lived time, and experienced tremendous joy getting to know them (at a very steep price). But without question the NES, SNES, Genesis represented classic gaming. With the advent of frame rate increases and pixel increases has come the lack of imagination and ingenuity that it took to pry $59.99 out of my pocket on a regular basis. I had a membership with Nintendo Power, their magazine, for over 8 years. I truely have hated Nintendo not being the company i once knew, but who knows, im sure they will always be around in some form, they were a playing card company for years...
You touch on good points there, goodman. Unfortunately, I guess I fall in that category of people who will never know the fun of those systems. As I have said before, the SNes was my first system console, and I never really got to play anything before that, aside from the original Nintendo which I got years later in order to play older versions of some games (namely Contra).

One of the peeves that I have is that nowadays most people, mainly the younger gamers, believe the new systems are the gods of all gaming. This to me is ridiculous! While they are all great in their own respect and have their own games which separate them from the rest, I honestly and earnestly do not believe either of the 3 to be the best. Before them were other systems, like the ones you mention, and these systems helped lay and shape the foundation for what gaming is today.

I too used to subscribed to Nintendo Power, but I cancelled the membership a long time ago. I simply was fed up with their self-centered editorials and articles; no single review was accurate. Everything was "great" and one of the things I despise most is slanted and untruthful journalism.

My best memories are of the older days and nights when I would play for hours with my little 8 bit and 16 bit systems. I loved them. I loved the games. I loved everything.

With this new generation, though, I can't say I feel the same. Rarely does a game win me over enough for me to play as avidly as I once did. As I said before, I enjoy both the GC and the PS2 quite a lot, but I can only think of few games from both systems which I really enjoyed.

I guess they just don't make games like they used to.
happy_doughnut is offline   Reply With Quote

X vBulletin 3.8.10 Debug Information
  • Page Generation 0.03232 seconds
  • Memory Usage 1,904KB
  • Queries Executed 9 (?)
More Information
Template Usage:
  • (1)SHOWTHREAD_SHOWPOST
  • (1)ad_footer_end
  • (1)ad_footer_start
  • (1)ad_header_end
  • (1)ad_header_logo