View Single Post
Old Sep 8th, 2005, 04:09 PM   #8
happy_doughnut
just a rolling stone

happy_doughnut is on a distinguished road
Angry

I like Nintendo, too. In fact, aside from the Dreamcast, the Super Nintendo and the Game Cube are probably the only consoles I really enjoy. Sure, other consoles such as the first PlayStation are great, but I never felt a "connection" with it. Many of the games, while good in their own respect, seemed somewhat superficial to me. By contrast, games released on these three consoles seemed to have much more to them than what laid on the surface.

The SNes was the first system I actually owned, which I got back in 91. As such, it will always be special. Had it not been for the FFIV and Star Ocean games on it, I probably would never have gotten to love videogames as much as I do now. It wasn't just for quick games of fun like Mario Kart, but of games you actually got to love (not that I don't love MK).

Later on I got the DC, PS, the N64 (which I had for only a short time due to unfortunate events) and a handheld. None of these, not even the 64, got the same reaction from me aside the DC. The DC was another token of gold that unfortunately some of the newer generations of gamers will never appreciated because of the overshadowing of the PS. Nevertheless, both of these consoles mean more to me than any other console out on the market today, even the GC.

I like the GC because it's fun. I really enjoy playing with my little nephews and it's great to have a system on which I can play various enjoyable multiplayer games. Some of them are plain frantic fun and other are a little more in depth and strategic. And then, when I feel like playing solo, I also have a handful of games I like to play. One of the charms from Nintendo that works for me is that their games never get old. I can play Zelda, Mario, Metroid, and others all the time without feeling bored; it's the same with the DC. Whoever gets bored playing Rival Schools can't be my friend.

I personally don't "hate" any of the systems and or companies. The only one I don't really like is the X-Box because I simply can't get a feel for it. It seems to me that it's too much of a spin-off from PC gaming, and well, PC gaming is in a league all on it's own, and neither M$, Sony nor Nintendo can compare. I like the PlayStations because in their own rite, they too are fun. But aside from Final Fantasy and some other titles, there aren't any games which I can say I "love" or would play for days on end without feeling the cloud of boredom hoover over my head.

I think it's unfair to bash Nintendo simply because it doesn't suit the tastes of a person. Personally, one of the thing I can't stand is when people "hate" the system(s) simply because they believe "it's only for little kids." I find such commentary absurd, but then again, everyone can think what they want.

I think that Nintendo has done an elusive job over the years. It has given us great things, things that are not so great, and things that are just down right bad. But then again, which system hasn't?

For me, it's not about the games I don't like. That makes no sense. It is, however, about the games I do like and the ones that will remain within my memory in years to come. So far, from the next gen consoles, only Nintendo has managed to produce such games, and Sony too, but to a slighter extent.

So, yeah: I really like Nintendo and appreicate many of their games, just like I appreciate several of the games for the PS2, although the former has more memorable games for me. In the end, I don't think they are bad in at all.
happy_doughnut is offline   Reply With Quote

X vBulletin 3.8.10 Debug Information
  • Page Generation 0.04150 seconds
  • Memory Usage 1,908KB
  • Queries Executed 9 (?)
More Information
Template Usage:
  • (1)SHOWTHREAD_SHOWPOST
  • (1)ad_footer_end
  • (1)ad_footer_start
  • (1)ad_header_end
  • (1)ad_header_logo