Thread: Hellsing?
View Single Post
Old Jun 21st, 2003, 03:58 AM   #12
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

merylsilverburg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by BlackThornn

And Meryl, the dub for Berserk is better than most.
Ah, I just have a major problem with dubs ever since I heard Ayashi no Ceres and a lot of other ones. That's not to say that I don't think some dubs are good, it's just for Beserk particulary, I prefer sub.

Quote:
Hellsing kind of takes existing vampire myths and existing cultures and tweaks them for the japanese standard, departing from the popular and obviously borrowed from European myths and turning them into rather typically anime-ish heroes and villians. Mind you this isn't uncool! But it might make somebody who was a big 'vampire' fan to begin with go "....eh?" at parts. And make some of the more solid followers of a particular "breed" of the vamp myths (like Anne Rice specifically, or Bram Stoker specifically, or V:tM specifically) go "...EH??!??!!" at other parts.
I can see your point and I do agree with you. Like you said, true vampire fans might be disgusted with how this anime totally goes against the "vampire code" (or something like that ) and will end up hating it. But since it is manga/anime, the mangaka does have the right to create this series as he pleases, with influences of vampire behavior and so on. This is probably why I like this series so much...because Hellsing is unique and doesn't follow complete European stories/myths on how vampires act, behave, look, etc..

Quote:
Berserk instead of tweaking other myths goes on and crafts it's own world borrowing general concepts from mideival europe and adding a big helping of classic RPG game flavor along with some heavy bushido influence. The result is.. Well, just dang cool. And since it builds itself up gradually you're going "...ooooh...." through the eps instead of half-wincing at bits as you were in Hellsing if you were a stickler like myself.
I can't really say much for this part since I've only seen 2/3 episodes and recently got the rest of the episodes to see for myself if I truly like it.

Quote:
BTW, anyone know WHEN the second run of Hellsing is going to come out? ^_^ I needs to gets it.
As I said earlier, a second season was rumored to be in the works, but it could really just be a rumor. Hellsing wasn't popular because of the "Graveyard Time Slot" in Japan, the bloodiness and gore that went on in the show, and the fact the manga isn't finished yet. There was also a rumor going on saying that GONZO studio will go bankrupt if they create a second season, due to the fight scenes, CG uses, etc.. I'm kinda suspicious on that last one...
But, Hellsing manga Vol. 5 just came out in Japan...hopefully Hirano, Kouta (the artist) will continue...

"Have a little priest" ~ Mrs. Lovett

"Grim Reaper, you could not get the women? What was the problem? Didn't you reap them with your grim reaping equipment?"

"I tried that but the women, they all know hopscotch" ~ Eddie Izzard

You Can Help

merylsilverburg is offline   Reply With Quote

X vBulletin 3.8.10 Debug Information
  • Page Generation 0.41667 seconds
  • Memory Usage 1,920KB
  • Queries Executed 9 (?)
More Information
Template Usage:
  • (1)SHOWTHREAD_SHOWPOST
  • (1)ad_footer_end
  • (1)ad_footer_start