View Single Post
Old Jul 28th, 2002, 08:26 AM   #6
Harry
Administrator

Harry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud of
Krafts, maybe I know just a couple of things more than you, since I pass 9 hours of the day reading press releases, talking with PRs, writing news, previews, reviews and mantaining a whole website.

I do have the basis to say what I'm saying, I don't like useless and pointless posts. Sony officially stated that only big games which involves thousands of players simultaneuosly on the same server will be allowed to require a fee to be played. And so far, among the games officially announced for North America, only FF XI will require a fee to be played.

When someone asks you about Ps2 and Xbox online gaming you have to be honest and say:

"In general, there will no fee for Ps2 online gaming. In general, there will be a fee to pay Xbox Live."

Period.

And yes, there are games on the Ps2 which are only playable on broadband (SOCOM U.S. NS), but great part of the games are playable in some way at 56k, FF XI included. Face it, the choice of allowing broadband users only is another proof that the only real market for the Xbox is North America. With just 4 million Xbox units sold worldwide, the limitation of broadband-only is really awful.

And you should also admit that the whole concept of Xbox Live is a way to earn thousands of dollars in targeted advertising and to force players to play through an environment fully controlled by Microsoft. I don't know you, but that's something I don't like, and that's something that Microsoft has been doing in any field in which they operate. I really don't know why you, having both systems, are so proud of Microsoft's online strategy - maybe you invested your money on the company?

Speaking of the graphic grandeur of the Xbox, I've yet to see games with that incredible graphics. I've had the chance to see Splinter Cell in action, and this so-called MGS killer, is far from being impressive on my opinion. Less than stellar framerate, and rough animations. I hope they'll fix that for the final product.

And the other games on the system are far from doing justice to a system that should kill al the others with incredible graphics. Halo? Great, but not even close to MGS2. Project Gotham? Cool, but not evan close to the realism of GT3. Morrowind? Wonderful in-game world, but awful slowdowns and glitches.

If you want to speak of incredible, more than polished graphics, you have to take a look at the Cube, not at the Xbox. Maybe things will change with the release of MGS - I'm really waiting to see what Kojima & co. will add in the Xbox version.

And finally, most of the players don't care about texture buffering, texture passing, vertex shading and bla bla bla, this is stuff for developers and PRs. Players want to see great games, with great graphics, and most important, with awesome gameplay - Microsoft should start working on more exclusives and more big games instead of filling magazines and websites with things like we're better than X and Y because we have a more powerful console. Power is nothing when you are not able to use it in the right direction.

Cube, if you want to buy only one console, my sincere choice would be the Ps2. You might think it's an obvious reply from an Editor of a Ps2 website, but I can assure you that for a reason or another I'm interested in each of the three consoles. The Ps2 has an incredible variety of great quality games, plus dozens of secondary titles that you might like. The Xbox and the GameCube doesn't offer the same variety of the Ps2's line-up, that's undeniable, and in the history of videogames, the line-up is what really makes a console.

If you are looking for a second console choose the system you prefer, according to the line-up. They're both good systems, and they offer in some way games that will not be available to the others. The Xbox has the advantage of the built in HDD, which hopefully will be used in the future also to install patches - and god knows if games like Morrowind would need a solid patch for the Xbox version.

Read the other threads in the "Other consoles" forum, you'll have more than an intelligent reply from our great members here at Ps2Fantasy.
Harry is offline   Reply With Quote

X vBulletin 3.8.10 Debug Information
  • Page Generation 0.92911 seconds
  • Memory Usage 1,913KB
  • Queries Executed 8 (?)
More Information
Template Usage:
  • (1)SHOWTHREAD_SHOWPOST
  • (1)ad_footer_end
  • (1)ad_footer_start
  • (1)ad_header_end
  • (1)ad_header_logo