View Single Post
Old Jul 27th, 2002, 07:50 PM   #4
Harry
Administrator

Harry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud of
Online compatibility? Graphics?

Once again, these are your personal opinions. Especially when it comes to Online Compatibility. The Xbox Live project has one enormous problem for countries outside North America: it only supports broadband connectivity. Maybe you don't know that in Europe - an IMPORTANT market that made the success of more than a game - great part of the players are still on a 56k dial-up connection, and it will take two years for the situation to change.

Then, the second big problem is that Microsoft will charge $9.95 monthly to use the Xbox Live service, while there will be no charges at all to play great part of the online games for the Ps2 - SOCOM U.S. NS, Automodellista, Gameday, Madden, Timesplitters 2. Just imagine an Xbox player forced to pay $9.95 to play TimeSplitters 2 online while a Ps2 owner will play the game for free - that isn't funny, on my opinion. The only online games that Ps2 players will have to pay for the Ps2 are MMORPGs.

And I know that now someone could say "Yes, but to play online games with my Ps2 I'll have to buy the Network Adapter, while the Xbox has the Ethernet Card built-in!". Well, unluckily the situation is no different for Xbox owners.

If the Ps2 Network Adapter retails for $39.99, the NECESSARY Xbox Live Kit (containing the software and the headset) will not be free: it will cost $49.99. So, where's the difference? And sincerely, as an Xbox owner, I'm quite pissed off at MS for this nice idea. I bought a system thinking that it was ready to go online and now I discover that I have to buy a Starter Kit. That isn't fair.

Yes, the Ps2 doesn't have an HDD, but it's also true that not everybody is interested in games who need this peripheral to be played.

Overall, I don't like the Xbox Live project - it seems to me a system perfect for the U.S. market, but not for the European one. And it's also a system for Microsoft to make enormous $ with targeted advertising.

Cube, that's one of the reasons that made me think that the Ps2 is a better system than the Xbox.

But take a look at the line-up of each system by yourself to decide which games you'd like to play. The Xbox has many great unique titles like Morrowind and the upcoming Blinx (which makes use of the HDD), and the same can be said of the GameCube, which has games like Resident Evil, Rogue Leader, and in the next future Metroid Prime, Super Mario Sunshine, Zelda etc.
Harry is offline   Reply With Quote

X vBulletin 3.8.10 Debug Information
  • Page Generation 0.86515 seconds
  • Memory Usage 1,904KB
  • Queries Executed 8 (?)
More Information
Template Usage:
  • (1)SHOWTHREAD_SHOWPOST
  • (1)ad_footer_end
  • (1)ad_footer_start
  • (1)ad_header_end
  • (1)ad_header_logo