View Single Post
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 02:57 PM   #10
kupoartist
.illustrated.thingy.

kupoartist is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meiko
Ok, thanks, I'll see what among these I can find.

If you have other suggestions (shoujo in general can be ok too), post more
It's a bit of a shakey recommendation to be honest, as i've only seen (part of!) the massively downsized anime OVA, and that a long time ago... but i've always been intrigued by a fairly old series called "Please Save My Earth"... it's a romance story with a sprinkling of sci-fi about a group of people, spread out over Japan who realise through their shared dreams that they were once alien scientists who watched over the earth from the moon, and that after being killed by a deadly virus, they were reincarnated on the earth that they so loved to watch over. It throws in some interesting dilemnas (one character has been reincarnated as a different sex, another managed to outlive the others so they're considerably younger than everyone else) and a few magic powers to keep things moving... Now that i'm into Manga a lot more, it won't be long before I'm buying the books off Amazon.

Another older series... Fushigi Yuugi (the Mysterious Play) is pretty cool, but hardly knock you down wonderful IMO. I recommend the Manga over the anime because a) The Manga is actually available here (£3 a volume over at amazon and in many UK bookshelves for that matter) b) the Anime skips a certain section of the adventure c) the Anime is somehow less "animated" than the Manga, coming across as a rather low budget production. It's a fantasy-romance story about possibly the world's most annoying girl (who does or says something pretty stupid at least 5 times a volume) and her band of Prettyboy warriors who're trying to summon a god in order to make 3 wishes come true. With various set backs on the way. Like having someone close to you turn against you because they're being manipulated by an evil prettyboy and his band of slightly less than pretty-boys and (shock horror) a woman (oh noes! a woman!). Uh yeah, it contains bishonen if you didn't figure that out already

Apologies for being several years off the ball, unlike Panuru and Meryl . Oh and just to be kind of irreverent, watch Kiki's Delivery Service if you haven't already. It doesn't particuarly fit any of your criteria, except perhaps that it's probably a Shojo film and it's just plain good . UK DVD re-release at the end of the month.
kupoartist is offline   Reply With Quote

X vBulletin 3.8.10 Debug Information
  • Page Generation 0.53457 seconds
  • Memory Usage 1,911KB
  • Queries Executed 9 (?)
More Information
Template Usage:
  • (1)SHOWTHREAD_SHOWPOST
  • (1)ad_footer_end
  • (1)ad_footer_start
  • (1)ad_header_end
  • (1)ad_header_logo