View Single Post
Old Oct 30th, 2005, 05:38 AM   #11
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

merylsilverburg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TtTackler
That's what makes the ending so GREAT. First off...

Spoiler: show
The developer's say that ICO and SotC are no way related. But they put subtle things that allows the player to make assumptions of how the two games can be connected. I've read interesting theories of how the Queen in ICO is actually Mono [the girl in SotC], how the Wanderer is the first in a line of horn children. A great ending is one that makes people discuss and think of all the possibilities, in my opinion. Which is another reason why I love the Metal Gear Solid series so damn much..

Secondly, the tragic ending is great, I can not recall any other video game with an ending so tragic. It's like straight out of Shakespear, pure genius. And even after all that happens, it ends on such a peaceful note when they find the deer in the secret garden and the birds begin to gather.

They did a magnificant job with the ending, whereas in the beginning of the game it just seemed like an easy excuse to give the player a reason to kill giant things, they make the story much more epic and meaningful in the end to match the grand scale of the battles you just fought.
Oh, please don't mistaken what I said; I know that

Spoiler: show
1) the developers purposely say stuff like "ICO and SotC are no way related, etc" but in truth, they are related somewhat. I know this and this isn't what I said was bad about the ending...

2) ...what I did say was bad was the tragic way it ended. And, again, please don't mistaken what I say...I know tragic endings are supposed to be the best sort of endings because, as I once heard before, they stay in your mind/leave an everlasting impression (I mean, geez, why else would they make that ending to Rurouni Kenshin?!). And while I know this, it doesn't mean that I like it or have to like it. I honestly do not like tragic endings depending on the situation. If it were for an actual cause (martyrdrom (sp?)) or something else, then I wouldn't be so, well, sad. But, it's the unjust, unfair, tragic, infuriating endings, such as "SotC", that I cannot stand. I think partially the reason for my preferences or my reason for being this way is because when things become too tragic in my life or too unfair (which is a lot of times) I get very down in the dumps. So, I try to avoid seeing/experiencing such things and games are one way to escape that reality (I suppose). So, when I see such a depressing ending like that, I get incredibly depressed so I mope around really depressed for a couple of days (and this is exactly what happened after "SotC"). I hope I made some sense, please let me know if you're confused.

"Have a little priest" ~ Mrs. Lovett

"Grim Reaper, you could not get the women? What was the problem? Didn't you reap them with your grim reaping equipment?"

"I tried that but the women, they all know hopscotch" ~ Eddie Izzard

You Can Help

merylsilverburg is offline   Reply With Quote

X vBulletin 3.8.10 Debug Information
  • Page Generation 0.47810 seconds
  • Memory Usage 1,925KB
  • Queries Executed 8 (?)
More Information
Template Usage:
  • (1)SHOWTHREAD_SHOWPOST
  • (1)ad_footer_end
  • (1)ad_footer_start