Thread: PSP? Anyone??
View Single Post
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 03:09 PM   #13
TtTackler
¤Web-Head¤

TtTackler is on a distinguished road
Sorry for the double post, but I guess I may as well reply to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingno
So the PSP is comming up very soon. Is Anyone Going To Buy one?
Its odd though, With only a few days left in the launch, theres no sign of
commercials or playable PSP kiosks. Well my guess is as good as yours. And I have to agree when i hear people talk like this:

"They're afraid that overuse in a store setting will reveal flaws; wouldn't want to hurt the hype by having "John Q." Consumer walk into EB and see the PSP demo missing it's square button with a "Out of Order" sign hanging over the promotional material. The Fanboys and Hardcore have already pre-ordered, but for people on the fence that sort of sight could do damage, especially just before launch."
Sony has fixed the square button 'problem' and has made the system more sturdier than the original Japanese version. Also, my local gamestores all had playable PSPs out before its release.

Quote:
Am I going to buy one? Nah. I figured the PS2 and PSP are the same, in terms of graphics. The PSP has crappy launch Titles, which are mostly Ports of crap EA games and Activision games... why play them on this little screen when i can play them on my Huge Screen at home (or why play them at all... its just the same ol' Madden!@__@) And the topping on the cake is the Battery life. About 3 hours for movies and about 4 hours for graphic wise games. Which brings me to the UMD format movies. Why the heck pay almost triple on a UMD when i can pay 10-15 bucks on a regular DVD?
Some Sony reps say that the PSP is more powerful than the PS2, which I somewhat think is true. Right now, the system is only using 66% of the PSP's power, this due to the battery pack being a bit weak. It has been confirmed that the system is locked at only 222mhz instead of the advertised 333mhz, once Sony releases new, more powerful battery packs, a firmware upgrade will be released that will unlock these settings so that developers can start using 100% of the system's power. Once this happens, I predict that we will start seeing games that look as good or better than PS2 games. A friend of mine put it best when he said that the graphics are kind of on the level of the Dreamcast but a little bit better right now.

About battery life right now. At 100% and the light at the lowest setting, my battery life is 8 hours and 4 minutes (with a game loaded), with the light at the brightest, it goes to about 6 hours and 30 minutes. And the backlight gets pretty darn bright. I havn't tested to see how the battery life is with Spider-Man 2 loaded yet. But in the Instruction Manuel for the PSP it says that game life should be on average [this average depends on the game [some games take up more juice than others depending on how much power it uses], volume level/headphones, and light brightness] about 3 - 6 hours and for video playback 3 - 5 hours. I seem to get a couple more than what they average.

I've heard that UMD movies will be $19.99. Which is the same price as DVDs, but some DVDs are usually priced at about $24.99 or $29.99. I can't confirm that price though, sorry.

Quote:
PSP for me? Nope... i rather get me a DS and play that new Katamari Damacy game thats comming up.
I want Katamari Damacy..but then again, they might implement the touch screen with the game, I can't stand using that thing to control. Hopefully not. But, just that one game isn't enough to make me want to buy a DS.
TtTackler is offline   Reply With Quote

X vBulletin 3.8.10 Debug Information
  • Page Generation 0.52729 seconds
  • Memory Usage 1,899KB
  • Queries Executed 9 (?)
More Information
Template Usage:
  • (1)SHOWTHREAD_SHOWPOST
  • (1)ad_footer_end
  • (1)ad_footer_start
  • (1)ad_header_end
  • (1)ad_header_logo