Thread: Dear diary.
View Single Post
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 10:13 PM   #14
happy_doughnut
just a rolling stone

happy_doughnut is on a distinguished road
Angry

Sometimes, I wonder how Kashtar manages to keep this place afloat. He certainly doesn't pull in a lot of money, to hear Jade speak of it. I wish I could help him out more. But dancing and cleaning are about all I can do here.

Valerie shook her endless pondering away, meeting Fionna’s green eyes. She sighed as she leant upon her arm, "Sorry, my mind was wandering again."

"No need to apologize. I know you work hard. It's almost closing time, anyway. You should get some rest while you can. Tomorrow’s your off day, right? I can handle things here," Fionna winked.

Valerie nodded, sipping at her hot soup. Her thoughts were already beginning to stray again.

She tries so hard to hide it, but I know Fionna isn't really happy. Her smile is nothing but a façade to hide whatever pain she's locked away in her heart. I shouldn't pry, but still, she might need me. Fionna is like a little sister to me. I wouldn't want to let her down.

Valerie finished her meal, watching as the last of that night’s customers were led out of the café. Most had already retired to their rooms, leaving Kashtar's small crew of family members to clean up the mess. She forced herself to suppress a smile, seeing Noel dressed in the same attire as the other waitress' while he went to work.

He's probably more feminine than I am, when it comes down to it. I've never seen a man pass so well as a woman. It's a bit strange, but if that's what makes him happy, then I share his joy.

Only Cyrus never joins in on the upkeep. I guess he thinks he's above it. Oh well. It's not my place to reprimand him. I guess I should be thankful I'm not on clean up duty tonight.

Valerie rose from her table and stretched like a cat. The room was emptied save for its keepers. A grandfather clock ticked, while a phonograph provided scratchy music. The tinkle of raindrops continued to beat overhead. Moonlight spilled through the swaying curtains. A thin coat of dust marked the rotting wood as the occasional droplet of water leaked through the ceiling and bounced off the floor below.

Even after all that work, I still feel a bit frisky. Doubt I can rest right now, but I might as well try. It couldn't do any harm, at least. Besides, I’ll need my energy for tomorrow’s exercise routine. Just because I’m off doesn’t mean I can laze about.

"Good night, Fionna,” She yawned. “See you in the morning."
"Good night, Valerie. Rest well," Fionna curtsied, taking her broom and going about her business.

Valerie headed up the winding staircase. She was certain tomorrow would be just another day.

**TBC**

Thoughts? Comments? Eeks? :o
happy_doughnut is offline   Reply With Quote

X vBulletin 3.8.10 Debug Information
  • Page Generation 0.01920 seconds
  • Memory Usage 1,903KB
  • Queries Executed 8 (?)
More Information
Template Usage:
  • (1)SHOWTHREAD_SHOWPOST
  • (1)ad_footer_end
  • (1)ad_footer_start