Thread: Adult swim
View Single Post
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 07:28 PM   #3
Cannibal Clown
Taijutsu Master

Cannibal Clown is on a distinguished road
Well, i never really watch Television that much anymore, but i do believe that adult swim was the greatest thing to happen to cartoon network, and it also introduced me to cowbot bebop, which i owe it my eternal gratitude for. But what you were saying before, about it being sold out to more adult orientated shows. Well, just before they made adult swim, a study was made, showing that nearly %50 of cartoon networks viewers were 18 and older. So they aren't selling jack shit out, they are just giving the audience what they want. And much of the anime they treid so very hadr to get on toonami for the longest of time they could not because of the fact that they couldn't edit it enough to have it allowed to be shown on a channel like cartoon network, which is why, when adult swim started out, it had that harsh, 18 or older only warning on it.

After tyhey made adult swim however, they noticed that toonami wasn't getting jack shit for ratings because of the fact that the bigger better stuff was on later, and the older audience that used to watch toonami so religiously just watches it late at night now. That's why they are getting rid of the toonami block after 6 strong years of running it, in like april i believ, not sure. But they are moving it to saturday nights from 9 to midnight. Replacing toonami will be another thinhg like it, targeted towards 8 to 12 year old males. It'll have totally spies, teenage mutant ninja turtles, and a few select others, and the moved toonami will have a few new shows like gundam seed and whatnot.

But trust me, adult swim didn't sell anything out to an older audience, they just gave their target audience what they want with the best respect for their own interests rating wise. Before, when they had the original space ghost talk show on cartoon network at like 10 at night, that was like one of the only adult orientated shows on that channel, and they still had to keep it clean. Then when they made Boomerang and saw how popular it was, they figured that there are plenty of adults who do watch cartoons still, and would definatly watch adult swim. And sisnce they had access to titles such as family guy and futurama, seeing how popular they were, they knew that it was a win win idea.

but yes, adult swim is great, on many more levels than one. The shows are awesome, and the ratings are great, making more promise for the stuff that the poeple like me are more interested in (anime)

Cannibal Clown is offline   Reply With Quote

X vBulletin 3.8.10 Debug Information
  • Page Generation 0.37737 seconds
  • Memory Usage 1,887KB
  • Queries Executed 9 (?)
More Information
Template Usage:
  • (1)SHOWTHREAD_SHOWPOST
  • (1)ad_footer_end
  • (1)ad_footer_start
  • (1)ad_header_end
  • (1)ad_header_logo