PsFantasy.com Forums

PsFantasy.com Forums (https://forums.psfantasy.com/index.php)
-   Final Fantasy Forum (https://forums.psfantasy.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Anyone concerned? (https://forums.psfantasy.com/showthread.php?t=3549)

Sleazy P Martini Sep 28th, 2002 09:59 AM

Anyone concerned?

Does anyone fear the direction the FF series is going in? FFX was a great game but very linear compared to previous ones. What am I talking about? The lack of the world map and no airship control. I found earlier games provided a greater sense of freedom. I really missed bombing around in the airship checking out the terrain and looking for secret spots. I hope future games don't follow the FFX trend.

Hylas Sep 28th, 2002 10:05 AM

Yep, I had the same impression. The last game was too linear, especially considering it's still a RPG game!
But I'm sure after the freedom given by online games, like FFXI itself, there won't be other linear and simple games like FFX. At least I hope so, because the gameplay wasn't excellent as the one of other previous FF games, or also other RPGs.

kupoartist Sep 28th, 2002 10:16 AM

well, FFXI is certainly the same, but It would have been anyway because the whole "overworld" thingy would have never worked in an Online game.

I think what they did in FFX was actually a better idea... but It was poorly implemented because the airship is given to right at the end of the game, meaning that you leave lots of the "fun" exploring stuff right until the end... or at least thats what I think :laugh:

Macceh^ Sep 28th, 2002 01:38 PM

Well this exact "linear-ness" made it possibily the easiest FF ever interms of the actual game (far from it if you include the side events).

To be honest though the no overworld and just being a one road adventure fitted the plot perfectly, imo an overworld wouldnt of worked on a pilgrimage.

Im guessing the overwolrd will return in FF12 but only time will tell.

Qjij_jijQ Sep 29th, 2002 08:40 AM

Well, I really enjoyed the new battle system, but you're probably right... It would've been better if we had the opportunity to ride the airship by ourselves, instead of askin' for places to go...

Sleazy P Martini Sep 29th, 2002 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Qjij_jijQ
Well, I really enjoyed the new battle system
There wasn't anything wrong with the battle system (except the cheesy one liners). BUT I did notice that you never seem to fight new enemies.....they just seem to change color and strength from town to town :laugh:

Daedaelus Sep 29th, 2002 06:33 PM

FFX was different from all the other FF games. I dont know what Square was doing but I thought it was kinda like an experment to see how people would react to the new type of game, missing the World Map, etc. As for Square, well I wouldn't worry about them too much since they always have a way of keeping the fans with them. I personally don't even play FF games religioulsy like I used to, nowadays it's Xenogears/Xenosaga, and Zelda.

Pepsi_Cola_pup Oct 3rd, 2002 10:06 AM

I'm not too concerned :) Personally, I think that Squaresoft did a great job with FFX. I liked it a lot.

Frozen Oct 3rd, 2002 03:42 PM

I hated that feature from FFX. As many others said, I really missed flying around in the ship and exploring. That stupid map of locations sucked.

But as some ppl have introduced their opininon towards the battle system, it's in my opinion the best one I have ever seen in a RPG. It's fast, it's fun, and it's easy. I don't see absolutely anything wrong with it.

Soul Angel Oct 6th, 2002 05:03 PM

I must admit I kind of was disappointed that you don't get the chance to fly around in the airship and see the FFX world in its former glory. So I kind of hope that in future FFs they'll bring that back in and it won't be just something in the past FFs. :(

But I have to agree that the battle system was really well done and I liked that way it worked. :)

BlackThornn Oct 6th, 2002 09:42 PM

Hopefully Square will get the picture and bring back the World Map and the ability to fly around. That was a staple of the FF series in my opinion, and added IMMENSELY to the length of the game and in fact the desire to play. Seeing the terrain was nice and made the world feel more real.

FFX was a good game.. yes, even great, but it was way, way, WAY too linear for me.. just trudging along a set path when ever since FFVII I'd been able to go at my own pace and do ACTUAL side quests (not do-em-when-you-come-across-em dungeons and friggin' chocobo training) after a certain point in the game. I miss that badly, and hope it returns in FFXII

Frozen Oct 25th, 2002 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by goodman
I think Square has watered down the game more and more to try and appeal to everyone.
I agree on that. Although not just in FF's, but in most games overall, I'd say. But I think that "keeping it right there" would be fine. Something even more watered down would not be good at all.

Why I liked so much this battle system was because you could use all of your characters in the same battle (which makes most of sense to me) and it was all a quick process making the battles fun, rather than boring. But definitely, the game lacked of challenge. Only a couple of bosses were really hard to beat. The rest of them were mostly piece of cake.